Hardest Part of HL2

the 2nd turret battle if u play it with normal turret placements, first time i got killed like 6 or 7 times, finally got away with 2 health i think :)

for me the hardest one is the cave with infinite spawning super headcrabs. only godmode could helpme.

Sai said:
Setting up turrets in Nova Prospect.

Restarted 10+ times.
The 3 turrets where the soldiers just keep coming? Definitely. It was by far the hardest part. I think this was the one part were the difficulty balance just wasn't right in this game. It was much harder than the rest. I think it would have been better if the soldiers didn't come at you from all directions & you had to set up more of a barricade & defend this point. As it was I was running around like a lunatic trying to keep my turrets up right until I found an easy way to complete this section which kind of spoilt it;

*** SPOILER : Highlight to read ***

In the end I activated 2 of my turrets & left them in their pods. This way it's almost impossible for the soldiers to knock them over (Unless they start throwing in grenades). The third turret I picked up & moved into one of the pods myself. The turret I was holding did most of the work while I was protected. The other 2 came into play for any combine that got past my defences. I things got a bit much (Like when the grenades start coming in) I could just dash out for a quick blast of health as the medical point was directly opposite me! doing it this way was pretty easy but felt a bit like cheating. This part could have been much better.

the bloody helicopter and crates thing. in the nova prospekt where you wait for alex I simply placed two in their original cabinets with one infront of me facing left, and my shotgun ready for action. died three times before this though.

1. The turret section. (The middle one, you know which I mean.)
2. Protecting Alyx while she opened the generator. (Am I the only one who ran hell for leather as soon as the door opened? :eek:)
3. The gunships before Nova Prospekt.

EDIT:How did you guys find the end hard??

Definately NOT the turrets. I beat that part the first try :p. The part I had trouble with was the battle with the three striders. It took me 10+ reloads before I realised that there was a box of rockets across the street. :LOL:

The turret section can be a pain in the ass or super easy. I love that there are many inventive ways to get past it...the method that worked best for me was bringing all three turrets into the empty jail cell and blocking the entrance with a single wooden crate. I set up one turret right inside the doorway on the left, the other on the right and the third directly behind the box at the opening...that way you're covered from all directions. You can duck behind the crate to avoid enemy fire and use the grav gun to toss back grenades and destroy manhacks. Occasionally a turret will get knocked down with a shotgun blast, but the other two cover you just fine while you set it back up.

Guarding Alyx while she was disabling the generator field was harder for me. Very little cover + low on ammo didn't yield positive results.

Well, Alyx opening up the big plaza gate gets ugly on the hard level. Youare lucky to get out of there with 1/4 your HP :(

I just realized this...the level where we set up turrets is not in Nova Prospekt, It's in Entanglement. :LOL:

I can't believe no one else picked up on this by now. Oh well, at least we all know what we were talking about.

Deffinitely the Turret part. I wanted to punch my keyboard everytime I hard Alxy's bitching voice "more soldiers!" :hmph:

Fending of Combine counter attacks whilst placing gun turrets in the last stretch of Nova

Those Turrets in Nova where Alyx says "More Soldiers" was not so bad once you worked out that hiding on the upper level with no combine access plus a few turrets worked so well :p

Aye, Installation wins as the hardest, especially for those who were half way through when the authentication servers died :D

On accident, going through on hard, I moved a large file cabinet in front of a door upstairs right before you drop down and set up the second "turret" battle in the prison.

It was too funny! Only about 5 total guards came after me during the "six minute stand".

I guess that doorway was the path the sqauds were to take and they got stuck somehow.

And I had even carried a fourth gun all the way from the first turret encounter, oh well.

I'd have to agree that if you don't "plan for it" the two airship battle is rough. Lots of sprinting and cover.

Same with the part (generator) before Alyx goes away for a while and the strider battle.

One thing that people don't seem to have picked up on either is that in the mines section of Ravenholm, the super headcrabs do NOT infinitely respawn! On the first try, I thought you had to kill all of them, so I did. ;)

My hardest part was probably Ravenholm, but purely psychologically, I just don't like horrory bits.

Back