Hardware and Software Direct X??

dream431ca

Reaction score
In the HL2 advanced video options, at the bottom of the selection screen, there are two things called DirectX hardware mode and DirectX software mode. I can't change the hardware mode (which I think is my Radeon 9800..I think). Is there any way to change it or do I want to change it..(right now the Hardware mode is on DirectX 8.1 and Software mode is on 9.0. Thanks.

console command: mat_dxlevel 90

launch option: -dxlevel 90

Generally if your card doesnt support dx9 it will revert to 8.1 or 8. Even if you change the settings unless you're using an fx series of cards you wont really notice a difference.

The hardware setting is purely based on your graphics card.

The 9800 is a native dx 9.0 card so that shouldnt be a problem, manually changing it can however (well for me anyways) I'd rather the "launch option: -dxlevel 90" that shens mentioned (havent tried that) or do it whilst reinstalling all of hl² or the entire PC.

launch command would be preferable, as you won't need to type it in every time...

The hardware DX shows the capability of the graphics card you have, and the software level is the version of the DirectX runtime you have installed, I think. Doesn't really make all that much sense to have it there, really.

Epsi said:
The hardware DX shows the capability of the graphics card you have, and the software level is the version of the DirectX runtime you have installed, I think. Doesn't really make all that much sense to have it there, really.

Quoted for emphasis (Because it's the right answer)

Back