Has anyone got it working?

G

Has anyone got the new steam working yet? As in got cs or whatever downloaded and playable... Just curious because no one seems to be saying that its worked for them hehe.

It hasnt worked for me either. Freezes up when I hit install counterstrike, or just sits on preparing halflife forever when I click that but oh well. I guess theyll fix it.

So if anyone has got the new version working well... how is it compared to the old one??:bounce:

i got it working but it took a couple of restarts and it just started to work.

Everything worked for me yesterday, I had a quick go on HLDM and it was fine.

But today, I tried Counter-Strike and it seems a little iffy. But it's only Counter-Strike.

The whole thing works great for me. Here's my recommendation: Do NOT double-click on a game and wait for it to install, that seems to freeze Steam up. Change the game properties to 'keep updated', then wait unti lthe Steam Monitor says it's finished (hours later). THEN play the game.

i got halflife to work in like 5 min

now i download counter strike

Originally posted by dscowboy
The whole thing works great for me. Here's my recommendation: Do NOT double-click on a game and wait for it to install, that seems to freeze Steam up. Change the game properties to 'keep updated', then wait unti lthe Steam Monitor says it's finished (hours later). THEN play the game.

Yeah, I've just started Counter-Strike up. It all works for me.

The updating issue will be fixed with a patch in the not too distant future.

Its just that 100 000 people want it all at once.

You are bound to get some crashes....

Originally posted by dscowboy

The minute I set a game to update automatically and close the properties window, steam crashes.

With Windows XP, and crtl-alt-del, no network activity is shown.

you have to let it sit a bit....go wach tv for 20 min....

I have windows XP and it crashed but I just let it work and it downloaded counterstrike and now I can play it....:)

I don't like it especially..
First, steam takes way too long to load, i click on it and i have to pray that it starts.
cause it doesn't start always. sometimes it just stands there and nothing pops up, i do ctrl alt del, and it shows the process as 'not responding'.

so i do some other stuff, or reboot, it starts up.
the same with counter-strike.
and when i finally got cs working, whenever the map changes on any given server, it freezes, and i cant do anything cept shutting down forcibly.

also, it gets me thinking.
cause with cs 1.5, you would browse with ASE, and it would connect easy and fast as hell.
if i wanted to, i could quit, and then go back. this is not the case with steam.
everytime i want to play, i have to wait at least 5 minutes before im actually in the game. this sucks if you're going to join a pcw, or otherwise planned fight.

so yeah, i hope they optimize and make everything go alot faster in future updates.

i havnt been able to get any games working, just freezes up.

You know, Steam either works great or doesn't work at all.

Follow BWMASTER's advice, I did the same thing and it works fine now. I can get into every game.

I finally got my Steam to work after 15 re-downloads/uninstalls, and 20 computer restarts. I got HL downloading, and working, and am downloading DoD and CS as I type.

Everything on my Steam works perfectly.

I advise going to the Games menu and going to the Properties of each game. Then select "Always keep this game up to date". Once they are all set like that, Steam should update itself like crazy. You might wanna watch on the Monitor window. Go do stuff, come back later, and everything should work fine. I downloaded everything at around 1.4MB/sec :O

Originally posted by Feath
You know, Steam either works great or doesn't work at all.

Follow BWMASTER's advice, I did the same thing and it works fine now. I can get into every game.

Feath, did u also download the update available on fileplanet? or did it just start working for u once everything was updated?

Back