Has it REALLY been four years?

Reaction score
You know it's strange, I post mainly on four forums.

www.actiontrip.com
www.hybridz.org
www.ls1tech.com

and ofcourse

www.halflife2.net

The first three have a direct purpose

Atrip because I've known all the members for years and it's nice to just post with people you feel like you know.

Hybridz because I'm rebuilding a 73 240z and it is a wonderful resource with very knowledgeable people.

Ls1tech because I have a strong interest in 3rd generation Chevorlet motors and have the uncontrollable desire to know _EVERYTHING_ about them.

And then there is Halflife2.net Which, let's be honest here, I'm not a "main" member of the community. I'm just that guy in the back that comes out of left field and argues about politics with Stern, or gives my two cents in the hardware and gaming forum.

Part One: General Forum Stuff

I honestly feel like I don't know a single-god-damn one of you. (Except Stern, but seriously, how can you know get to know someone with 10,000+ ****ing posts? HAHA)

I suppose what I am digging at is that I do not understand why I post here. I do not mean that in a negative context and this certainly is not another pathetic "I'm leaving" threads by any means. HL2.net has turned into that rusted out 1969 Camaro that has been sitting the the backyard for 22 years that "I'll never sell." It's that stick of gum that I've been unknowingly masticating on for four years.

Part Two: Being an American on HL2.net

It is strange being an American on this forum. I love hearing the opinions of others who live in a society that differs from mine, if only slightly in some cases. While that is the case, I also feel a constant mild discomfort around anyone who is foreign. This discomfort is the result of outside eyes (that would be you Europeans and Canadians) looking into the glass bowl (We Americans) and making conclusions based upon their observations. Do not get me wrong, deriving conclusions from observations and tests is the basis of science, and I have absolutely zero qualms with science. But I feel I must bring up one issue with you all. The classic "The United States is the best country in the world" issue.

To start off with, I consider myself politically to be a "MEAN" American, not a moderate. What I mean by that is I do not take the compromise of every issue and therefor am in the middle. I mean by being a "MEAN" American is that my political views have a "numerical average" if you will. While if you want to place me on a linear line, I would be in the middle, I doubt I would agree with a single person who is placed with me. For example, on gun issues and health care a "moderate" would say ->

"Well I think we should have guns, but they should be strictly limited and be somewhat tough for the public to acquire. And I think we should have privatized health care with government subsidies." I would call this person a Moderate as they are taking the middle road on these two issues.

While a "MEAN" American, such as myself would say ->

"Firearms should be available to any American over the age of 18 who has taken and passed a standardized safety course and is not a convicted felon. I am also 100% pro socialized health care."

Where my stance on gun control is extremely conservative, my views on health care are extremely liberal. Thereby averaging to a moderate.

I just need you all to understand that I am not the only American like this. There are millions of us. There is no fine line where Americans part into two opposing factions. While many choose to do so, they are also the ones that make international news where foreigners are able to make observations and conclusions on American politics. (While I realize this is a politically oriented section of this post, it's main function is not to talk about politics, just to help me explain my feelings of being American on these forums.)

Now, to "The United States is the best country in the world" topic because I feel explaining that would help you understand a bit more of the American mindset that *I* possess.

What feelings does that phrase conjure up in you non-Americans?

"That's pretty arrogant."
"Haha, yeah right."
"They don't actually believe that, do they?"

For me to put this into context, I have to turn the question around. Say for example there was an American family sitting down and watching television (haha), and the news station had a story about a gigantic parade that was taking place in Romania to celebrate their country. We'll say that a bill had just passed that everyone was in agreement for and the people are marching up and down the streets saying "Romania is the best country in the world!" (or something similar) - NO American that I know what take offense to that in any fashion. Honest to Atheism, it would instill a sense of pride. If an Englishman tells me England is the best country in the world, I would smile. Not out of sarcasm, but because I can really respect a people who have developed their own modern culture and thrive in it. There are a million ways to tie a knot, as there are a million ways to live a happy life. (Some are just a whole lot easier to do than others, haha)

Have I every said/thought the United States was the best country in the world?

Yep.

Did I mean it?

Hell yes I did.

Do I want to argue about it?

Nope.

Am I going to be heartbroken if you think your country is better?

Ofcourse not! I am happy that you are confident in your homeland. I think it is a good thing in modern human society.

(Please note that I recognize the problems associated with nationalism, ie Nazis/browncoats and what-have-you.)

Part Three: The Incidents and arguments on spelling and pronunciation along with ancient briefs burps of embarrassment

There are quite a few famous "Incidents" that have occurred in this forums' history. Most talked about would probably be the famous "Munro Incident". While I am sure all of the main members are aware of what these incidents are/were, the lesser known members, including myself have NO GOD DAMN CLUE WHAT THE HELL YOU GUYS ARE TALKING ABOUT. I've done countless searches, ask several questions and can never seem to get an answer. No, I'm not asking now. I've given up, perhaps I was never meant to know?

It's Grey, and that's all I have to say about that.

Also if you Canadian freaks insist on calling it "Feether" then I'm going to start calling beaver "Bever". And let us not talk about cats falling from high places or .9999 equaling one. (Because it does.)

As far as embarrassments go, I have only one primary one which I will forever remember. I got into an argument with Asus about a video card. I believe it was a 6800 GT but I cannot remember. Some company at the time had released two versions of the card. One with fewer pipes than was standard for the rest. I didn't check the actual model number and repeatedly asserted other members that that was the incorrect card and insulted a few people. I apologize. (Three years later.)

Also random political quibbles that I have since changed my mind on but those are fairly insignificant in my mind.

Part Four: Random info about me for no apparent reason

I am going to school to be a police officer.
My favorite car is a 1967 Pontiac Tempest
I like Chevy's
I enjoy all types of music
Current Favorite book: 1984 and the Halo series
I like writing my own short fiction sci-fi stories.
I am decent at best at guitar.
I weld as a hobby currently.
I am currently an assistant manager at Mountain Mikes in Modesto and I make 8 dollars and 25 cents per hour. =)
I am very slowly trying to build a race car in my garage.
I chew my nails
And I just bought an Xbox 360 a few weeks ago. Fun shit.

This whole post was supposed to be a lot longer (I apologize, haha) but it is 6:25 AM and I need to pick up my girlfriend from work at 6:30!)

Feel free to reply if you wish, don't really see a point though. I just posted this once I realized I had been here for four years and had quite a few thoughts creep into my brain. Might be a part two, who knows!

Hi.

First off, it appears it's been over four years, but that's just being padantic.

Second, it's ok if you dont know me, no-one else does :D. Tbh, there are so many new people just appearing from the dust with the latest Valve game, I'm not surprised you don't know so many people.

No point in arguing against your next point, we all think we live in the best country etc. But I believe that there is no "best" country, we all have our faults, some more so than others, and England, when viewed in certain lights, is often as bad and outrageous as the next country. However, the prominent role of media in America makes things far more transparent, and it's the fact that most of you believe you are "the best" which makes you such a subject to critisism. England, while it's proud, and will stand up for its nation, is generally intraverted about how good it is, and it acknowledges that its glory days are gone, as will yours soon be. I'm not going to be so arrogant as to say we're your "parents", because to be fair, I've not been alive longer than anyone over there :p. Don't know why I'm even discussing this with myself...

Skelling is important. If it's right for your language, then it's right. I'm not going to go into how I think the American's are wrong on that subject :p

And I thought I'd reply anyway. Good luck with policing.
How well is decent?

while I believe Canada to be the greatest country in the world (not really) I can see that other countries have it better than we do in some areas and are overall better than Canada (no it's not the US, sorry ;) ) ..I'm sure there would be a large majority of canadians who would argue against me on that point but they're not being subjective and are going on gut instinct and personal bias ..an honest person would say "i personally feel my country to be the greatest in the world but I recognise that because of theses faults ____, ___ and ___ in actuality it's not the best country in the world ..but for me it is"

oh and the Munro incident is a non incident ..that's the pont

oha and just remember that as a cop you are in a unique position of power. Realization of the potential for abuse of that power makes for a better police officer" ..in other words "dont taze me bro"

oh and "grey" is the british (correct) spelling not gray ..so yes you are correct ..it is grey

Part Two: Being an American on HL2.net

It is strange being an American on this forum. I love hearing the opinions of others who live in a society that differs from mine, if only slightly in some cases. While that is the case, I also feel a constant mild discomfort around anyone who is foreign. This discomfort is the result of outside eyes (that would be you Europeans and Canadians) looking into the glass bowl (We Americans) and making conclusions based upon their observations. Do not get me wrong, deriving conclusions from observations and tests is the basis of science, and I have absolutely zero qualms with science. But I feel I must bring up one issue with you all. The classic "The United States is the best country in the world" issue.

Um, thats okay?.

I don't get what you mean myself, the western world is fairly well travelled and open minded I'de think, dealing with foreigners on a daily basis, if even through the internet.

If it makes you feel better Everyone everywhere likes to comment on the way naother country does things, it isn't that big of a deal?.

Have I every said/thought the United States was the best country in the world?

Yep.

Did I mean it?

Hell yes I did.

Do I want to argue about it?

Nope.

Then why are you bringing it up, if I may ask?.

Not to be rude, but America hardly has the monopoly on patriotic and or downright nationalistic folk who think their country shits gold bricks.

If your point was "every country has those swarms of "patriots" who wave flags and pretend their country smells like roses" then well done, you stated the obvious.

If it makes you feel better many European netizens are just pessimistic and apathetic, you know those downer types who see no honour in being patriotic and looking fanatical and instead ruin your 4th of july BBQ because some unrelated white explorer killed an indian a hundred years ago?.

Yeah, thats us. Nothing personal.

You'll probably groan at this but I personally take more pride in the achievements of human civilization as a whole. We are the only species as far as we know to have come as far as we have, from hairy apes to this level, and if we can just manage to survive, we could very well achieve even greater things. Nations come and go, human spirit is forever.

But I know what you mean. I love Scotland, its hills, its forests and rivers, the poxy little stone houses in the country, the dinky little cities that are probably laughably small compared to American ones, the history and culture.

Even the biggest apathetic can take some pride in their homeland.

Tbh, there are so many new people just appearing from the dust with the latest Valve game, I'm not surprised you don't know so many people.

Actually I never really played CS:S, and hated Dust2. I appeared from the end of HL2 episode 2 and after I had finished portal, and wasn't yet satisfied. :upstare:

How well is decent?

I just realized you were talking about guitars and not welding, my mistake. :)

If I try really hard, and for a while, I can play most moderately difficult riffs. Stuff from Godsmack, Mudvayne...

I was able to learn a REALLY SLOW solo by Meshuggah once, by the hand of god...

----

Jesus Stern, I didn't realise you were almost to 30k... Another 10 and I'm going to address you as Warhammer.
Is your favorite country in the world Sweden, Stern? If it were up to you, would the world be one gigantic Swedish based government?

(If it were up to me, it probably would be...)

----

Then why are you bringing it up, if I may ask?.

I feel it had to be said. Kind of like a political resume if you will. "Here, here is what I think about this."
I'm sure most the people here don't even care, but that's not the point. 99.99995% of all the employers of the world aren't going to be interested in your resume, but you've still got one. :)
(I rather like that example)

How do you do.

Druckles said:
Second, it's ok if you dont know me, no-one else does :D. Tbh, there are so many new people just appearing from the dust with the latest Valve game, I'm not surprised you don't know so many people.

Strange isn't it? I feel like this is the only forum I have ever come across with so many people that are completely obviously to each other, yet have respectable post counts. It's like the high school affect or some such.

Wtf is "feether"?
I'm a Canadian Freak and I've never seen such a word...

with harper we're basically America except we pollute more per person, we need to stop patting ourselves on the back

next election, I hope we can change that

1. Too much information, nobody gives a shit about you or your personal information.

2. Web forums are weird, get over it.

why is it "2 cents"? Why can't it be like 3 or 4 cents?

Kudo's for "Top Secret" on making this. I'm ironically a welder too and in fact I'm a full time college student who goes to NH almost everyday for my associates in welding. I heard that CO and mainly the west coast is where it's at for living conditions and jobs, welding jobs mainly. So I might go there this Summer but idk what will happen next year with my life. My steam id is hool10. I think one of the best kickers I have gotten out of this site is just how cool it is to talk to people in other countries too. It's awesome to just laugh at peoples jokes and play games with them. Their 1st language might not be English or they might not live in the USA. I gotta say Valve is more of a game company actually. We started playing HL in 1998. That has been 9 years people. We have grown up and played Valve games almost daily for the past 9 years. In fact some of us got jobs at Valve and some have become game designers of Valve. So Valve doesn't just produce great games. No, they create friendships and groups from all over the world that would'nt happen in the "real world". In fact they have created a second family for all of us. I was going to make a thread on that very topic.

I love this forum and everyone on it. The sense of community is epic win.

? pardon? where did you get that idea from?

I didn't?

1. Too much information, nobody gives a shit about you or your personal information.

2. Web forums are weird, get over it.

That's just awesome man, really great! :D

why is it "2 cents"? Why can't it be like 3 or 4 cents?

Well, actually when you think about it the phrase "Here is my penny" just sounds so ridiculous yet "Here are my three cents" also doesn't fit. I think it is the only option really.

Kudo's for "Top Secret" on making this. I'm ironically a welder too and in fact I'm a full time college student who goes to NH almost everyday for my associates in welding. I heard that CO and mainly the west coast is where it's at for living conditions and jobs, welding jobs mainly. So I might go there this Summer but idk what will happen next year with my life. My steam id is hool10. I think one of the best kickers I have gotten out of this site is just how cool it is to talk to people in other countries too. It's awesome to just laugh at peoples jokes and play games with them. Their 1st language might not be English or they might not live in the USA. I gotta say Valve is more of a game company actually. We started playing HL in 1998. That has been 9 years people. We have grown up and played Valve games almost daily for the past 9 years. In fact some of us got jobs at Valve and some have become game designers of Valve. So Valve doesn't just produce great games. No, they create friendships and groups from all over the world that would'nt happen in the "real world". In fact they have created a second family for all of us. I was going to make a thread on that very topic.

Definitely move to California then. We have a huge welder deficient in the central valley. Jobs all over the place but no-one who can weld. I think the lowest paying welding job I've found in Modesto started at 18/hr. And that was just with the most basic AWS certs. No degree or anything.

Definitely move to Califonia then. We have a huge welder deficient in the central valley. Jobs all over the place but no-one who can weld. I think the lowest paying welding job I've found in Modesto started at 18/hr. And that was just with the most basic AWS certs. No degree or anything.
I keep hearing that and it just blows my mind. We got shitty roads here, miserable attitudes, high taxes, extreme conditions in seasons, and to top it off, we got terrible jobs here. It's dificult to find a welding job. If you do, it's a family business and you will get paid $13.50. They treat you poorly as well. While $13.50 is great, you won't earn a living off it. So having the complete opposite of that and then earning $18 for no education in welding is amazing. I mean we got all the crappy gangs and other shit living next door to me. I live near Lowell and then all the rednecks in NH are above me and then you got the republicans in NY under me. You guys have Turtle Rock and Valve studios near you with Las Vegas, the Grand Canyon, etc. You guys have Arnold as a governor while we had stupid Romney and now the new black guy does nothing in office. I ****in hate MA and the east coast in general.

Back