Has Sony really fixed the psp's problems for the US release?

Vigilante

Reaction score
I'm having troble believing that they have fixed the square button problems and UMD's popping out. Does anyone else feel this way?

Sony said it themselves, they're not fixing it at all. Developers are going to have to "Adapt"

Vigilante said:
I'm having troble believing that they have fixed the square button problems and UMD's popping out. Does anyone else feel this way?

Whats this all about Vigil? UMD's? whats that?

square button problems?

i only heard of the battery life problem

explain please, this is interesting

VirusType2 said:
square button problems?

i only heard of the battery life problem

explain please, this is interesting
AFAIK, the actual input button that's under the Square button is offset by a few millimeters because of the button's proximity to the screen. This means that sometimes when you press Square, it won't depress the input button underneath, and no input is triggered. And the button also seems to stick a lot. Good old Sony.

Holy shit talk about a flaw.

Hello anyone hear of product testing before release sony?

stigmata said:
AFAIK, the actual input button that's under the Square button is offset by a few millimeters because of the button's proximity to the screen. This means that sometimes when you press Square, it won't depress the input button underneath, and no input is triggered. And the button also seems to stick a lot. Good old Sony.

haha. Like I really needed another reason why a person should not buy Sony products.

Aside from my Playstation 2, every Sony product I have owned has been junk. This doesn't surprise me at all. Sony does not mean quality anymore.

Well if you are an audiophile ( an audio expert/enthusiast) everyone knows that sony makes very good products. but if you are looking for the best they are near the bottom of the list.

Names like Bose, harmon kardon, polk, Denon , pioneer are better choices for audio

however- they are one of the few that makes video game systems so we have to deal with it

i beg to differ. sony makes great drives/digital cameras/electronic accessories/tv's/monitors/etc all of extremely high quality. did they just lose about a billion dollars in sales from the psp in america after i start spreading the word like wildfire? yes...but theyre still a quality company.

why wouldn't they fix it .. ? or why didn't they ? assuming they're already being manufactured.

They can't just move that one button, they would have to move all the buttons (or else it would feel awkward one button being too far in)

I'm sure Sony knew about this, not sure if they tried all they could but they knew....

The UMD issue is when you put the UMD in, close the lid to shut it, but then it pops open and the UMD goes shooting out of it (literally it just goes flying out of the unit)

The UMD issue is rare though I here... Someone at H L 2 World has an avatar of it :p It's kinda funny...

destrukt said:
why wouldn't they fix it .. ? or why didn't they ? assuming they're already being manufactured.

well the answer is becuase it costs them alot of money.

But I can only assume that it is a rare problem - doesn't happen that often to that many people that much of the time.

just a guess.

Here's an article about sony's response to the flaw:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/01/24/news_6116985.html

Offering additional testimony praising the handheld, Kutaragi said, "I believe we made the most beautiful thing in the world. Nobody would criticize a renowned architect's blueprint that the position of a gate is wrong. It's the same as that."

actually, i think the architect would be criticized if the gate was right next to a huge widescreen cinema so that it was almost impossible to get out.

Id go with VirusType2s assumption, I highly doubt this will be a common problem

Even though Septih did post a link to GS, I am pretty darn sure that I have seen another article from GS with a new response from Sony that they will indeed fix these problems. At least for the EU release IIRC.

Alec_85 said:
Even though Septih did post a link to GS, I am pretty darn sure that I have seen another article from GS with a new response from Sony that they will indeed fix these problems. At least for the EU release IIRC.

I havn't followed it up, so its probable

I still don't like the arrogance in what they said in the first article though

edit: http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-11721-1516-4-4-x tada

Septih said:
I really hope that sony is telling the truth, because I can see them lieing about this. In the previous gamespot link posted they were extremely arrogant and had the attitude "screw the gamers we just want money".

Will sony be offering any kind of warranty for the psp? Because I'm buying mine at EB games, and they don't offer any type of replacement plan like Bestbuy does.

The UMD disk pops out when your bending your system in ways it shouldn't be bent.

Vigilante said:
I really hope that sony is telling the truth, because I can see them lieing about this. In the previous gamespot link posted they were extremely arrogant and had the attitude "screw the gamers we just want money".

Will sony be offering any kind of warranty for the psp? Because I'm buying mine at EB games, and they don't offer any type of replacement plan like Bestbuy does.

As much as I hate Best Buy, I'm going to get my PSP there eventually. I love their replacement warranty....never had a problem with Best Buy...I had my XBox replaced once about a year after I bought it...just brought it in with my warranty receipt and they gave me a new one on the spot...no fuss..nothing.

As far as Sony fixing the prob...I wouldn't bet on the first shipments being corrected. I firmly believe their first shipments of the PSP are going to be utter shit....my god, they've never even built a handheld before....that in itself is scary. I've never bought a Sony console upon release that I plan on keeping and playing...hell..I only bought my PS2 like a year ago. I recommend waiting a few months before buying a PSP especially if you don't have access to some kind of replacement plan. I don't plan on buying one until like June just because I flat out don't trust Sony's initial build.

Back