Have Voucher, Key Is "Invalid" off the bat.

C

cam9786

I have the HL2 voucher CD Key, and I want to enter it, but when I do it just says I typed it wrong, it doesn't even try to validate with steam. Any ideas? I am reading it perfectly and did not scratch any numbers or letters off. Will it work when CSS/HL2 come out?

cam9786 said:
I have the HL2 voucher CD Key, and I want to enter it, but when I do it just says I typed it wrong, it doesn't even try to validate with steam. Any ideas? I am reading it perfectly and did not scratch any numbers or letters off. Will it work when CSS/HL2 come out?
did you add the hyphens?

Where did you get the key from, maybe somebody already used that key to create an account on Steam and it's one account per CD key (which took me forever to figure out).

lazicsavo said:
Where did you get the key from, maybe somebody already used that key to create an account on Steam and it's one account per CD key (which took me forever to figure out).

No, it would still at least contact the Valve database and try and register. Then a pop-up would say that the CD key is already registered. Same thing happened to my friend with CZ, had to return it and get another copy.

can u still get this voucher? and where do i get it at. i'm dumb.

wait until steam starts telling you that it's already used. this has happened to me with three keys so far. i'll be playing for a while and then all of a sudden it tells me that the key is already used with another account. i did contact valve. and they never replied. i had to buy HL 3 times since steam came out. :( in this aspect, steam sucks my nuts.

first try typing it like this xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx , then try typing it xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx , BTW where did you get your voucher from? did you get it with your video card? and when you got it was your serial key already revealed? had it already been scratched off?

Type it in like it shows. It shows hyphens but I seem to remember I typed mine in with spaces. Maybe I'm thinking of something. :rolleyes:
If the correct key is entered, it will then check with steam.

N0N1337H41 said:
wait until steam starts telling you that it's already used. this has happened to me with three keys so far. i'll be playing for a while and then all of a sudden it tells me that the key is already used with another account. i did contact valve. and they never replied. i had to buy HL 3 times since steam came out. :( in this aspect, steam sucks my nuts.

Got any brothers or sisters, cause my brother steals my CD-keys (and I his, it's mutual).

Double check the key and make sure you're typing it correctly.. You may have inadvertantly rubbed off part of a letter or number, making it look like something else.. (IE: rubbing off the Top of a O to make it look like a U, or rubbing off the bottom of a E to make it look like an F)

Try switching around letters in that vien.

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

cam9786 said:

Im guessing if it doesnt try to validate the key, then its not in the correct form. I would try adding hyphens, removing them, try spaces, try all caps, ect. If its anything like the old half life cd keys, or the old counterstrike ones, then it will tell you if its in use. If it tells you its in use, you have the form correct, someone just used it already :/

What happened to Cam? Did he abandon his own thread :LOL:?

He registered just to get help, I don't think he'll be sticking around :(

Why would you try entering the key from the HL2 voucher into steam?

This is to be used at ATI's website, it gives the url right on the back of the voucher (I have one) to the voucher validation page. I'm confused to where he even entered this key at on steam, if there is such a thing.

*_-SpAcKeL-_* said:

This is to be used at ATI's website, it gives the url right on the back of the voucher (I have one) to the voucher validation page. I'm confused to where he even entered this key at on steam, if there is such a thing.
Is the method you are speaking of used to have a copy sent to you in the mail? Or do you need to have the voucher validated, then you receive a key to put in Steam?

*_-SpAcKeL-_* said:

O so thats how they do it? He must of been putting the voucher code in as a cd key. Why didnt we think of that?

Yes, the url on the back of the voucher takes you through some steps. Like, if you would like to receive the Valve Premier Pack, and one of the questions is how would you like to receive Half Life 2 and you choose either by mail, or by downloading off of steam.

And, for the record, I don't know why you guys didnt think of that either manhacks :thumbs:

*_-SpAcKeL-_* said:
Yes, the url on the back of the voucher takes you through some steps. Like, if you would like to receive the Valve Premier Pack, and one of the questions is how would you like to receive Half Life 2 and you choose either by mail, or by downloading off of steam.

And, for the record, I don't know why you guys didnt think of that either manhacks :thumbs:
I guess none of us got the vouchers :LOL:

*_-SpAcKeL-_* said:

No. The voucher key _is_ the CD-key. That's only key voucher owners get whether you download or receive by mail HL2, Premier Pack, or CS:S.

sounds like he's mistaking a 1 (one) for an I (eye) or something like that.

easy mistake but triple quadruple check it!

lazicsavo said:
Got any brothers or sisters, cause my brother steals my CD-keys (and I his, it's mutual).

LOL! I have a brother, but i bought him his own copy of HL. Plus we live in different houses. Thanks for the thought though. :cheers:

I was an early adopter of steam, and this happened in the fer few months of steam being out. I've been on the same key for a long time now. What made me the most upset was that no one ever responded to my emails. valves steam support is a complete joke. And that scares me with HL2 just on the horizon. If it happens with HL2 I'll be writing Mr. Newell & Co. each an email everyday.

Back