HDR? How can I get HDR?

M

mistergameguy

Could I enable it or has it been removed? I have a Radeon 9800 pro...

I think you should already have it enabled with that card, but having said that i'm not totally sure. The rooftop section that was used as valves demo for hdr didnt look quite as good for me in game (9800pro as well) the inside section in particular with the holes in the roof, so maybe ot does need to be enabled manually.

where did HDR go ? why didn't they leave it as an option ?

deekey777 said:
ATM HL2 does not use HDR, but a bloom filter, that has nothing to do with HDR. :thumbs:

Source in German

I don't think he's completely right, if I understand him, he says that you need to render in 64 or 128 bit precision, but that's not true.
RTHDRIBL is true HDR. And what HL2 showed last year, was also true HDR. You can do it with 32 bit, even with 16 (but every effect using it will look ugly). Unreal Engine 3 uses 64 bit HDR.

PvtRyan said:
I don't think he's completely right, if I understand him, he says that you need to render in 64 or 128 bit precision, but that's not true.
RTHDRIBL is true HDR. And what HL2 showed last year, was also true HDR. You can do it with 32 bit, even with 16 (but every effect using it will look ugly). Unreal Engine 3 uses 64 bit HDR.
you need an virtaul render depth of 64/128bit
afaik when implementing hdri per pixel shader u take a 64bit column and cut out the 32bit column that you need for the specified pixel.
you have now greatly increased render depth, although only virtual.
iirc also unreal engine 3 only renders in 32bit precision .. but with virtual 64bit for hdr effects

HDR (high dynamic range) means instead of having one single point of coloured light you can have, say a background of a sky and every pixel is used to calculate the intensity and colour of the lighting. Each pixel also contains a lot more information than say a bitmap, i.e. intensity I think it was... mmm, i'm sure someone will know a bit more.

HRD was in the leak, but isnt in the main game.

Why? No-one knows.

hl2 would've looked SOO much better with HDR... shame they turned it off.

actually, hl2 mimicks HDR sometimes. for example, when you approach dark tunnels exits. it's not very good looking, but that's what one of the things HDR should do (much better, i admit). i think the sun too is a HDR "simulation"

Scottie said:
Is there any way of manually enabling HRD?
i have the strong feeling that it's just a switch in the code that valve put on "off" because of bugs or bad performance.
we'll see along the full sdk release

doesn't anybody know a command for activating HDR? (high dynamic range lighting)

actually i thought i spotted 1 place that use hdr . ill try find it and take a ss

ukfluke said:
actually i thought i spotted 1 place that use hdr . ill try find it and take a ss
No hdr.

I don't belive that they left the code for HDR in the game, that would be... sloppy.

jacen, you sound a lot more knowledgable about this, so I suppose you're right. :)

And Valve probably took it out because for the intentions they had, simple sprite effects were sufficient to simulate bloom, HDR was way to costly and available only to DX9 hardware. They also don't use DOF, so it wouldn't have been much use, although it would have been really cool.

Haha! The places where you say "simulate" HDR is actual HDR. I dont know about you guys but my HL2 has lots of HDR in it. Maybe its because I have a X800 Pro, I dont know but look at the sun or a light blub and its extremely bright which is HDR! And like someone else said earlier going through the dark tunnel and it being real bright then becoming clear thats HDR!!!! Way to go geniuses!

In July I asked Rick Ellis about HDR and whether or not it would be included in the shipping product. He said that while they could do it, and it looks very nice, it requires absolute top-of-the-line equipment to be used. So they had a choice: Get it working properly in the game for a very, very small number of users, or leave it out and work on things everyone could benefit from. It would seem they decided on leaving it out for now. I'm sure they will eventually patch it back in now that the game itself is done and they have time to work on the smaller, extravagant extras.

NiteX said:
Haha! The places where you say "simulate" HDR is actual HDR. I dont know about you guys but my HL2 has lots of HDR in it. Maybe its because I have a X800 Pro, I dont know but look at the sun or a light blub and its extremely bright which is HDR! And like someone else said earlier going through the dark tunnel and it being real bright then becoming clear thats HDR!!!! Way to go geniuses!

No, you're wrong. HDR is something quite different from the effect seen in HL2.

NiteX said:
that's pretty much what i said. they simulate HDR in some places.

I hope the full HL2 SDK will includes some examples as to how you can implement HDR! :)

PvtRyan said:
jacen, you sound a lot more knowledgable about this, so I suppose you're right. :)
i found out that i am only partially right.
more about hdr:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDR
and
www.hdri.at <-- austrian ... german text
PvtRyan said:
They also don't use DOF, so it wouldn't have been much use, although it would have been really cool.
dof only works well in directed camera scenes
but since you can move freely everytime, it would look odd.
NiteX said:
what you mean (sun blending over objects when you look into it) is a bloom filter in the skybox.
no hdr here :)

NiteX said:

I think you'll find that's not HDR, genius :rolleyes:

Try looking at this and get a vauge understanding before banging on about something you know nothing about.

http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/rthdribl/index.html#Download

I downloaded that and it is cool and all but all the glare effects are messed up. They are like a bunch of squares. does it have to do with drivers?

Back