He picked up the barrel with his hands!

Again, valve has no idea where to begin and stop with the whole immersion thing. When you pick stuff up with your hands, it just floats there, with no actual hand holding onto stuff.

They dont show you in reflections, because they say it will take away the feeling your gorden. Frankly, it will take me out of immersion to see a mirror and alyx standing next to where i should be, but realise that im a vampire with no reflection. You dont see gordens hands on steering wheels, however you see his hands on the guns. I envision ghost handle bars when he uses some kind of bike vehical, the bars turning left and right with no hands on them looking as stupid as it does in battlefield.

Not to mention the floating head that your trapped in. The fact that i can see the guns and his hands, means that they should see his shoulders and legs. Flashpoint pulled this off amazingly well, making it one of the most imersive games ive ever played.

the main reason you can't see you hand when picking up things i assume would be the ammount of animatiosn they would have to make for eevery object in the game u can pick up. Thus either limiting the amount of objects or object types, or simply put removing the hands altogether and not limiting the objects except for by weight.

Someone else mentioned this... the easy fix for picking up items without displaying hands would be to bring the item very close to your view, so close that you only see the top of the item. You wouldn't see the hands at this point anyway, so we can more easily assume they are there ;)

To have a drum like that floating out in the middle of nowhere... well, it seems like the Manipulator without the Manipulator :p Power suit or not, Gordon does not have 5 foot arms to hold things out that far from his body.

which would again require that they either limit the amoutn of items u picked up or go through every item of appropriate weight you can pick up and make sure it has a proper axis and distance to have the top just sticking out.

I have an interesting thought..

When you use the manipulator.. objects are placed infront of gordon, floating.. beacuse he's using the manipulator..

When using your hands.. it has the same effect as the manipulator (Except for the pull).. That means the objects float infront of you when you hold them as they would do if you used the manipulator...

maybee this is only for the E3 videos..
I dont know.. im only speculating here...

She said:
I have an interesting thought..

When you use the manipulator.. objects are placed infront of gordon, floating.. beacuse he's using the manipulator..

When using your hands.. it has the same effect as the manipulator (Except for the pull).. That means the objects float infront of you when you hold them as they would do if you used the manipulator...

maybee this is only for the E3 videos..
I dont know.. im only speculating here...

Yes, apparently there isn't a difference between the "held" position for items. The only 'problem' is the aesthetic difference... manipulator items are held in an invisible stasis field, while items Gordon picks up are supposed to be in his hands somehow.

She said:
hmm.. that sux.. the barrel was floating in the air..
But.. yeah, whatever..
its coo to lift things up without the manipulator..

It would be difficult to model POV hands onto a dynamic object right? Thus the no hands when driving.I don't recal seeing any hands when you pulled a box in the original HL. It's no big deal.

Hands when driving wouldn't be hard at all.

It was Valves choice.

Besides it doesn't bether me one iota

vegeta897 said:
Hands when driving wouldn't be hard at all.

Really? Oh ok, I was mislead then I guess. I think you're right, it was probably purely a design choice.

yeah I think if you looked at it, using your hands would require a bit of lag (so that they can get good grip), and that would make it less natural.

Let's face it.
-the hands'll add to the immersion
- it will feel natural to use them
- you'll prolly forget that you can't see them

And if seeing gordon's hands/reflection is so vital to the immersion then stop complaining and mod it yourself.

Jeese, you know they say no matter how good a job oyu do creating something (especially a game) people will always nitpick it.

Don't you guys remember Shmozy's visit to Valve? He stated that when he was playing the demo they had running there, that he picked up something and threw it at one of the combine while he was passing through security.

We knew about this long before those 2 new Bink videos came out...

And I quote:
sHm0zY said:
So we started playing from the begin of the game the intro to the game is bad ass you probly already have seen it just the G man saying its been allong time mr freeman and all this other stuff. I got out of the train.. the combine are jerks. I stand there and if i don't get out of the way they push me. so I picked up a box and threw it at them.. then they chased me and beat me with there stick thing that shocks me, I walked around and this combine knocked some pop can off a table and he was like PICK IT UP so I did..... AND THREW IT AT HIS FACE!!!! and then he chanced me forever beating me =( The game is soo...
Taken from: http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?p=658383

So, technically, we found out about this on August 17, at 09:17 PM!

Once again, we have more idiots proclaiming a reknowed developers choices as stupid yet there own personal experience with Games Development clearly amounts to sweet FA. If anybody here would like to to design code and animate the content necessary to have hands visibly pick up every item without compromising gameplay then consider yourself hired.

Oh ****, I don't know why I even bother reading these forums, they just get me narked.

I'd never tell Michael Schumacher how to improve his laps times because I've never raced a formula 1 car. If I did try, he'd have every reason to brand me an 'arrogant and obnoxious little upstart'. And the same applies here.

Back