[Help] 3DS / MAX to Hammer

S

ShaolinMonk

hey all, i have downloaded a plant model, it has 2 file types .MAX and .3DS.

i was wondering, how would i import these files into hammer so i could add them to my map? im completly lost when it comes to modeling.

thanks for reading

thanks for the reply clarky003

I read that page several times and still dont understand what to do, i have 2 file types .3DS and .MAX - i tried to open it up in milkshape, hl model viewer with no luck.

im guessing im ment to transform one of the file types (.3ds/max) into a .SMD then into a half life 2 model?

why is this so confusing lol ><

It really isn't all that simple from a beginning stand point, but essentially your .3ds or max file needs 3 or 4 elements created from it for use as a physically simulated model or a static model.

Here are the basic outlines for steps to take:

1. UV mapping and creating a texture in .tga format and applying that to the model using multi sub object application.

2. Using the skin or physique modifier to attach your mesh (only works in editable mesh mode) to a bone.

3. Exporting your models mesh as a reference .smd

4 . Create a physics model as an overally simplified version of you models basic shape in the same way you create your mesh, applying the same texture to that attaching it to a bone and exporting that as a seperate reference .smd of a different name.

Create this simple model over the top of your origional models mesh to get the correct positioning, make sure the bone in the scene is in the same position as when the normal mesh was attached and exported, then delete the normal models mesh and save it as a different max file just incase.

5. Export an idle animation .smd for creating physically simulated objects. static objects work by using the origional reference.smd for their animation sequence.

6. Compiling for it to work in the game requires your texture be converted to .vtf format using vtex (changing your texture name after application and export in max will not work, the compiled texture must be of the same name as the .tga you applied to the model in max)

7. Finally to create the .mdl file for the object itself in game you create a '.QC' file in the directory of all your exported .smd files to avoid any confusion.

Using your plant as an example

It goes something like this for a static object:

$cd "C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\'your_steam_account_name'\'HL2modname'\modelsrc\plant" //directory of all your .smd files

$modelname "models\props_foliage\plant.mdl" // name and location of your compiled model

$model "Body" "plant.smd" // your reference .smd

$lod 60
{
replacemodel "plant" "lod1_plant"

}
// level of detail replacement lod 60 is the distance at which the origional smd is replaced with the lod1_plant .smd, you can add multiple $lods (create another reference.smd named as lod1_plant and export with less mesh detail)

$cdmaterials "models\props_foliage" // location of your compiled .vtf and .vmt

$surfaceprop "cardboard" // surface property, obviously plants arnt cardboard : p this is just an example

$staticprop // makes prop static and non simulated allows .bsp shadowing.

$sequence idle "plant" fps 30.00 // for static prop idle sequence is the same as reference.smd for physically simulated object use an animation .smd named something like plant_idle.

$collisionmodel "plant_phys" { // physics model .smd

$concave
$mass 60.0
$inertia 1.00
$damping 0.00
$rotdamping 0.00
}

//physical properties applicable to physically simulated objects

when that is completed you drag this over onto studiomdl in the directory "C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\'your_steam_account_name'\sourcesdk\bin to compile the model. You'll also find the vtex .tga to .vtf compiler in there for the texture which works the same way, just drag and drop your texture onto it making sure your texture is in the right rc directory

For example.. if your .tga texture is in "C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\'your_steam_account_name'\'HL2modname'\materialsrc\models\props_foliage

It will compile into "C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\Sourcemods\'HL2modname'\materials\models\props_foliage

Hope that helps you learn a bit quicker :) .

hammer

I read your post, even though it s old, but can u help me pls with some .mdl files???
I got stuck a little. Thank you!!

Back