HELP i cant install halflife 2

H

halflife-bmxer

i cant install hl2. it says it cant continue with the installtion beucase cab file is corrupt or their is a error with reading the cd rom please help

What CD drive are you using (maybe need a CD driver update O.O....

And it may also be that you just have a bad copy of the CD, check the guidelines of getting another copy.

i fixed it!!!!!i found out the problem. i just put the disk in my dvd rom drive and BAM. it works

no i have the 5 cd version. my dvd rom can play cd and dvd. i think my cd rom/cdrw is bad or something.

Possibly... I would see if it has issues with other CDs

no acctauly my other games play on the cdrw drive but halflife2 wouldnt install on that drive but instead on the dvd rom drive wierd! who cares thought the most impotrtant thing is that i can play it now :cheers:

Well, I'd like to figure out what caused it in case someone else has a similar problem...

My CD/RW drive has also been acting up with me lately (music skipping, data CDs loading and loading but nothing comes up), I don't use it anymore, I use my DVD drive now. And as far as it messing up my HL2 installation, well, I really can't say because I got the DVD version of the game.

Optical Drive problems

I had that same problem with my DVD drive (I have the 5 CD version). Sometimes I would get to the fifth disk before it would kick me out.

I went on the forums and found some threads with the same issue. I was able to just switch to my CD-RW and it completed the install just fine. Which is really nuts, because my DVD is a much faster drive (the CD-RW was harvested from an older machine) - try and figure that out.

I just didn't think of the drive being the problem till read some others who solved it. At least one of our drives worked - in that thread there stories of guys who had to buy new drives or borrow someone's external just to do the installation.

Of course neither drive has ever caused any other problem...

just for the record, this also happens when you run the installer and choose NOT to install CS:S, it's a known bug and there's a topic on steampowered about it

Back