Help me choose Broadband

Edcrab

Veteran Incompetent
Reaction score
Okay... so I find that my area will finally get broadband on the 31st Januray, 2005.

So I browse to check out offers, and gradually become very confused.

I live in the UK, and so far, the only service to catch my eye is Virgin.net- but can someone with a bandwidth limit explain to me just how quickly I'd go through that? I could chose an alternate provider (specifically in my research, Tiscali) dropping the limit altogether but sacrificing the speed.

For example, just how would the constant uploads and downloads of an online game erode a monthly limit? And, in your experience, is it worth dealing with a cap? Even dialup didn't restrict my access... if one ignores the 2-hour connection limit...

EDIT: Hmm, somehow managed to put this in the CS support forum rather than the generic hardware forum. This always seems to happen to me... *waves at the long-suffering moderators*

Edcrab said:
Okay... so I find that my area will finally get broadband on the 31st Januray, 2005.

So I browse to check out offers, and gradually become very confused.

I live in the UK, and so far, the only service to catch my eye is Virgin.net- but can someone with a bandwidth limit explain to me just how quickly I'd go through that? I could chose an alternate provider (specifically in my research, Tiscali) dropping the limit altogether but sacrificing the speed.

For example, just how would the constant uploads and downloads of an online game erode a monthly limit? And, in your experience, is it worth dealing with a cap? Even dialup didn't restrict my access... if one ignores the 2-hour connection limit...

EDIT: Hmm, somehow managed to put this in the CS support forum rather than the generic hardware forum. This always seems to happen to me... *waves at the long-suffering moderators*

you looking to go for the 3 gig monthy download limit ??, all im going to say if you are is i can download 3 gig in a day , but then again it depends on what you want it for . but 3 gig in a month i dont think thats going to last . have a look @ aol thay do unlimited broadband ,1mb conection as well and thays not mutch difrence in price

Im currently on pipex.net 512 package without the 1g limit

no complaints whatsoever

£23.99 /month isn't the cheapest, but no set up fee and no minimum contract, except if you cancel wthin the first 12 months they charge you $50 or something, which aint bad..

[edit] oh and they told me that it would be read yon a certain date, I tried it a week before and it worked :D

been using it since, I wub pipex

Never get a cap on your internet, as you don't know how much you will actually use for that month.

Ntl is pretty flexible. Good speeds and they generally wont do anything about you going over the limit. I dl a hell of a lot of stuff and nothings ever happened, even if i dl waaaaay more than a gig in a day.

erm avoid ntl at all costs... their customer support is hell, and once you're connected... try disconnecting and it will take for forever....meanwhile they are still charging you :D

Back