Help On Modeling

L

LilEli

:smoking: Hi, my name is Eli and i want to learn how to model, in other words make weapons for counter-strike ! Maybe even skin the weapons to, well please help me ! :sniper:

~thanks~ :p

Right, firstly hello!

About modelling.......as most people in here are sure to tell you, you can't just get a 3D modelling program and expect to make weapons instantly. Well, you can if you are insanely good and the quickest learner in the world, but 99.9% of people would have problems doing this.

The best thing to do is start by learning the basics of the program you decide to use. There are many to choose from - XSI, 3D Studio Max, Maya - these 3 are high-end products and cost a lot of money. However, cut-down versions of these are available (e.g. XSI|EXP) for free.

Once you have chosen your program, check out the tutorials included either withing the program (Max) or on the company's website (Softimage [XSI]). They should have the basic modelling tutorials that ease you into the program and teach you the basics.

When you feel confident enough with both the layout and the functions of the tools within the program (this may take a while, try to get as much practice as possible by using tutorials that delve into different areas), then it is time to move onto modelling objects of your choice. Following a tutorial for a similar object to the one you wish to model is a good idea, as this will give you skills which are transferable. There a loads and loads of tutorials avaible on the internet, a simple search should give you the information you require.

If you can model already and I have patronised you to hell, then I'm sorry :p. The only thing I can recommend is tutorial searching.

Don't try and skip steps, it really will pay off if you go the long way and learn the program. Who knows, maybe you will find you have a talent for something other than weapon modelling!

Thanks, the only prog, is can you tell me where to get the free programs ? lol im such a noob :smoking:

Also, i dont want a hl2 modeler program i want a steam cs modeler program :dozey:

Also, i dont want a hl2 modeler program i want a steam cs modeler program

The Softimage XSI HL2 EXP also exports to HL and CS - its the same format. You can download it from softimage.com

Have fun and head over to the modeling areas...

Cool that you wanna start modeling and do 3D stuff, it's really funny and not too hard to learn if you're committed to it!

I'll try giving you some links to tutorials and tips and stuff later on when I find good stuff! :D

xsi was the easiest to learn for me so its good that the free version is integrated with hl tools

Cool that you wanna start modeling and do 3D stuff, it's really funny and not too hard to learn if you're committed to it!

Just one question CrazyHarij m8

what part of modeling did you find funny .?
i think i pull more hair out dooing my modles than is healthy.

Bloody sweat and tears. ho yea and the odd argument with the wife, Thats all ive had through learning weapon modles and im still shite...!!

unfortunately...GOoch has got it spot on. it can be very frustrating at times, but i tend to be quite chilled...i just take my anger out on homework. yeah, anyways if you want to do it enough, you can learn it quite quickly and hassle free. if you do a lot of practice before you start doing guns and that lark, then you can do it much faster my first full gun model was what got me into the mod im working on now, so that was pretty cool ( :hmph::naughty: )

get a copy of 3DS max 5, and relentlessly and patiently learn the basics through the tutorials that come with it ;)

Wait....the .smd format in Softimage|XSI EXP 4 HL2 is the same as the one in Half Life?

This opens new possibilities for me... :dork:

Yep - nice news heh!

Let me know privately if you need a HL1 compatable rig...

UV mapping <hiss>. Best place to start is 3dbuzz.com, register (free) download the VTM's for XSI, that will give you a very good start. There are also loads of tutorials on the net, that will help you on your way.

if anyone wants any info on UV mapping in 3Ds feel free to PM me, Im sure I could help. Any general query's on the program aswell. ill be gald to put my knowledge to the test for anyone learning the program. :)

I might beable to make a tutorial for your needs,

Back