Help please with error message

K

KwikRhyMes

When i try to compile my map on normal setup it says Could not find filesystem dll to load. I don't know whats wrong there. So i hit expert and changed configuration there to Half Life:Counter-Strike(Full) because I am making a CS map. And when i try to run it, the game gets to precaching resources then it says Error: lightmap for texture too large (33 x 33 = 1089 luxels); cannot exceed 324. Please someone help me I really want to make maps and I'm getting all these errors

The first error means you're trying to run hl.exe instead of steam.exe. Hammer is set up wrongly.

The second error usually means you used the AAATRIGGER texture on a non-entity face.

thats what idk. Idk what aaatrigger is or how to not use it. And for my hammer setup i'll make a screenshot showing you what i put in for game configuration and build programs

Havent huge displacements been causing this too?

If you have huge displacements, try making them into smaller pieces.

untitled23.jpg

and here are the typed up directories
Game Executable Directory
C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\myaccount\counter-strike
Mod Directory
C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\myaccount\counter-strike\cstrike
Game Directory
C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\myaccount\counter-strike
RMF Directory
C:\Program Files\Valve Hammer Editor\maps
Please notify me if any of these are wrong (which i'm sure they are)
And here is what i did for build program
Configuration
Counter-Strike
Game Executable
C:\Program Files\Steam\steam.exe
Place compiled maps in this directory before Running this game:
C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\myaccount\counter-strike\cstrike\maps
Keep in mind that all of this is for Counter Strike 1.6 and I'm sure I messed up somewhere here. All I want is to make some maps without all the error messages Lol. Please help

Your configuration looks fine. If Expert mode loads the map properly, use that. It's better anyway.

AAATRIGGER is the pink texture with the lambda logo on it. It's selected by default because it is alphabetically the first texture in the list.

http://img332.imageshack.us/img332/5048/aaatrigger6ze.jpg

It's okay to use it on trigger_multiple entities, or func_buyzone or such, but never on normal brushes.

which still brings me to my problem. At the begininning when i made this map i used the pink lambda thing. But its different now and it still says the lightmap error. Should i just remake the map?

Select AAATRIGGER in the texture browser and click "Mark". If no visible brushes (that would be lit by RAD) are selected, then the error has gotta be caused by a much, much rarer problem. Tommy suggests corruption, which might be fixed by copying the entire brush structure into a new map.

I fixed it before i saw your post I just remade the map.Thanks for the help.But i have a few more questions. How would I go about making towers and such like for CT towers or how would i switch textures from wall to floor?Or things ike railing and stuff.

Towers could be made a lot of different ways depending on how you want them. Some thin brushes with spaces between them in a square, maybe, or make a normal cylinder and use the vertex manipulation tool (second button from the bottom on the biggest toolbar) to move the top part in.

http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/3595/simpletowers3cg.jpg

The button in the very middle of the largest toolbar, immediately under the Brush Tool Icon, is the Texture Application Tool. With it open, you can left-click a face to select the texture on it, and right-click a face to apply a texture and properties to it.

Railings and other such things are just more fun with small blocks and vertex manipulation:

http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/2304/morefunwithsmallblocks4rr.jpg

and I'm not too familiar with all the tools yet. I haven't gotten around to find them all out yet.

You can click the label in the upper-left corner of each viewport to change what type of view it is.

Many of the tools only look intimidating because they're completely worthless. The big buttons are generally all you need, and even two or three of those are completely unnecessary (Path Tool, Apply Current Texture Tool) ;)

Thanks map you have been a great help I will post other threads if i need some help but I am not sure I understand how to use the vertex manipulation tool. It confuses me

Back