help - weird phisics - collisions not performed

catacc

Reaction score
hello
i have a weird problem with the objects collisions: in fact there are no collisions.
let me explain this matter.

most of the time, when i touch an object such a barrel or a crate (rocks, tools, items, NPCs), they are beginning to hop on the floor several times, then they are sliding around the place through fences, walls, etc. or getting stuck into the ground.

these objects can be handled with the gravity gun, but after the release, they are not staying on the floor, instead they are disappearing into the ground or falling through an elevator floor.

the NPCs are sliding in the same direction that they were originally moving and finally they are getting stuck into the ground.

this kind of matter is very annoying, since the objects cannot be handled properly and thus the objectives cannot be completed.
as far as i saw, the ragdoll_collide command is no longer present in the available commands list.
instead of this, there is a command called ragdoll_sleeptime [seconds] (or smth, i don't remember right now) which supposed to "sleep" the ragdoll collisions after a preset amount of seconds.
i've tried to set this to 0 (zero) or high values, thinking that this will solve my problem, but in fact, nothing changes.

however, sometimes after a reload of the HL2-EP2, everything is working normally.
this happens rarely and most of the time, after a certain checkpoint (i guess) or amount of time, the issue is reappearing.

did anyone encounter this issue?
how do i solve this matter?

thank you very much.

You have a similar problem as someone else, though I'm not sure why. The best place would be to either verify your game cache through steam, or to their forums to find out if there is a fix

I have never encountered the issue in Episode 2, but something similar did happen in Team Fortress 2 once. Every time anyone died they would sink through the floor of the map or go floating/swimming all over the place. Like in your case, the problem was solved after a restart.

One thing you could do is go to your games list, right-click > properties > verify game cache files, but I somehow doubt it will help.

You have a similar problem as someone else, though I'm not sure why. The best place would be to either verify your game cache through steam, or to their forums to find out if there is a fix

i'll try to check the cl_ragdoll_collide command and as well the cache files.

anyway, if i delete the cache files, they will be decompressed and created again? (fixed, i hope)

does the system count on this matter: sempron 2400+, 512 Mb DDR, FX5200, DX 9.0c August 2007 update and XP + SP2 August update ??

Don't delete the cache files, verify them through the verification utility in Steam. You could try deleting them and redownloading again if you have the connection for it and the time to spare, but I would estimate that that method is no more likely to fix the problem than verifying them.

It does not sound like a hardware issue to me, although your comp is a little lacking in oomph.

anyway, the only solution i've found is to restart the HL2 game (meaning that no"restart" command is used, simply exit from HL and start it again from desktop)

at some point during the gameplay, the issue is reappearing, so if you can bear for 2 minutes of un/loading, be patient and exit->launch again the game.

Back