Help with content auto-converter?

FatboyTim

Reaction score
HELP!!!

I had all of HL, CS, DoD, Op4, BS (etc.) installed prior to the Steam installation. I was therefore offerd the chance to create the Steam cache from my installed content, but...

Steam crashed part-way though copying the content to the cache! No files were created, as far as I can tell, but now it won't let me use the existing content, despite it still being installed/playable outside Steam.

Steam now wants to download 420Mb of Half-Life, 350Mb of CS etc. The problem is - I only have a 56k connection!

Please tell me I don't have to download 1GB+ of content over 56k!!! Can I manually transfer data to the Steam cache? Can anyone help me?

Do a little reading around the subject on these forums, and you'll see there's not much you can do about it at the moment.

I had the same problem - it 'crashed' when importing DoD. However, it got HL and CS so it's not too bad for me. Maybe you can uninstall and re-install to let it recreate the cache?

Originally posted by koopa
Maybe you can uninstall and re-install to let it recreate the cache?

Doesn't work. :(

Wouldn't you think though that if you erase all trace of Steam from the computer, it'll start the process all-over again? Surely it has to? No? Okay, maybe not :)

Wouldn't you think though that if you erase all trace of Steam from the computer, it'll start the process all-over again? Surely it has to? No? Okay, maybe not :)

I tried uninstalling, removing folders the uninstall didn't get, the removeing all entries including 'steam' from the registary.

The trouble is when steam is ran, it logs you on using your email address, so all settings etc. are kept. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by SLH
I tried uninstalling, removing folders the uninstall didn't get, the removeing all entries including 'steam' from the registary.

The trouble is when steam is ran, it logs you on using your email address, so all settings etc. are kept. :rolleyes:
Hmm, okay. That's bad news ;(

I wonder what would happen if you install on a 2nd computer with a valid copy of HL installed. Would it not use it and pull everything from the server? That seems a bit daft to me.

Hmm, okay. That's bad news ;(

I wonder what would happen if you install on a 2nd computer with a valid copy of HL installed. Would it not use it and pull everything from the server? That seems a bit daft to me.

If you used the same email address as before, i think that's exactly what it'd do. Yep i think it's daft as well.

Still no joy... I tried connecting my other 2 PCs seperately. The laptop failed in the same way that my Athlon 1900+ had. My older PC (with Win 98) didn't even detect the HL installed content once - it went straight for online content without any attempt at conversion!

Fatboy you are supposed to uninstall and create a NEW account; it will ask you to convert again.

Back