Help with Dedicated Server Install and Config

Reaction score
I'm trying to install and configure a stand-alone dedicated server. Maybe some of you have experience with this. Here is what I did:

1. Downloaded Windows HLDS Update Tool
  2. Installed it into C:\Program Files\Valve\HLServer (the default location)
  3. Opened cmd, navigated to the HLServer folder, and ran HldsUpdateTool.exe -command update -game garrysmod -dir .
  4. After that finished updating I downloaded the latest ULX mod and installed it into C:\Program Files\Valve\HLServer\garrysmod
  5. I added myself as a super admin and admin. I also changed the MOTD.

Under Optimizing a Dedicated Server I found out how to create a batch file to start the game.

6. I created a the batch file were these commands:
    C:
    cd C:\Program Files\Valve\HLServer
    start /high C:\Program Files\Valve\HLServersrcds.exe -game hl2dm -port 27015 -ip xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx +maxplayers 8

Uh oh! Batch files, being dos-like entantys, can't handle spaces in the path. I couldn't remember on how to get to get around that, so I just changed it to: start /high HLServersrcds.exe -game garrysmod

The SRCDS tool ran successfully this time; it looks just like Steam's version of the dedicated server. However I noticed that even though I set variables in the command line string, it didn't change anything in the SRCDS options. I just ignored it and set the max players to 8 again and clicked start. I got an error message stating that SRCDS could not allocate the UDP port.

7. I experimented by changed batch file to just contain this:
    start /high HLServersrcds.exe -game garrysmod
  8. Tried the batch file again and got the same SRCDS option list. This time however, the server started up successfully.
  9. After forwarding port 27015 on my router to my server, I was glad when someone actually connected to my server.

My questions are:
  1. Did I do it correctly? Is there any more configuring that I need to do?
  2. I do not have a server.cfg file. I read on garrymod's wiki (facepunch forums are down) and it says this is where all of your settings go (obviously) but the link to the example is down too. I found an example for hl2dm on steampowered.com but I'm not sure if all the options are even relevant to garrysmod. Could anyone enlighten me on what all I need?
  3. I did not disallow uploads on this server (cl_allowupload 0). I am planning to do this when I host on my faster (but more important) server because I can't take the chance that something bad might get uploaded. I noticed that random files have been building up in the downloads folder and they seem to be connected to when people join. What are these for and are there any security risks of running a dedicated server?
  4. Anything else you recommend. You might just play on mine someday ;).

That's all I can think of for now. If any of you could help me or give me suggestions that would be great! Thanks in advance. :)

Back