Help with getting Blue Shift running

Inuplaya

Reaction score
OK, I know I may be playing this game a little but late, but I found it for a good price :)

Anyway, it worked on my old machine, but I got a new computer and for some reason can't get it to run. I'm guessing it has something to do with compatibility and Win7, but I dont know where to go from there.

Opposing Force is included on the same disk and runs perfectly fine. I can install Blue Shift, but when I go to play it an error message through Half Life pops up and says something about only having -0.00 mb of physical memory and Blue Shift requires 16 mb. I know my computer has plenty of memory, so how do I fix this problem? thanks in advance

So you say you have the WON CD version? Have you checked if there are processes running that might drain your memory? You might even have a virus that is causing this - do a scan with Anti-virus software and see what goes. Anyways, if its Windows 7, you might try running Blue Shift through XP mode - consult the Microsoft webpage.

Hope this helps though.

I also have this problem for Half Life: Blue Shift on Windows 7, exactly as Inuplaya described. I can confirm with 100% certainty that I do have enough memory by far at the time of trying to run the game but the same message comes up. Please help.

Actually, running in compatibility mode works. Right click on the exe, click on properties, go to compatibility, select the "run in compatibility for windows 7" option in the drop down menu, then click apply. Then from then on, it should run fine.

I'll also mention that these old copies of Half-life 1 and Blue Shift etc can all be registered with Steam, despite their age! - http://store.steampowered.com/

Click the 'Games' tab in Steam and click 'Activate a Product on Steam'. Put your CD Key in and Steam will download the game in a couple of minutes, fully patched and compatible with Windows 7 / Vista / XP.

Back