helpenghw2.net

ktimekiller

Companion Cube
Reaction score
I need to add/remove semicolon, colon, or commas, or do nothing at all to the following sentences

31. According to African authorities; only about 35,000 Pygmies exist today.
32. Pygmies are in danger of extinction; because of encroaching development.
33. Teachers have heard all sorts of reasons that students do poorly; psychological problems, physical illness, or too much work.
34. Swing dancing has a deceptively simple definition: the only indigenous dance of America.
35. The best-known French dishes include: canapés pate and pickles.

When I tried it myself, this is what I got

31. According to African authorities, only about 35,000 Pygmies exist today.
32. Pygmies are in danger of extinction because of encroaching development.

With the last 3 being correct.

This doesn't seem right, so helplife2.net GO!

What? Are these punctuated correctly? Yes.

I mean more towards the 3 that I noted as correct.

it seems that it would be too easy to have 3 as correct

Looks fine, but I kind of feel like you could remove the colon from the last one and still have it work.

I'm not good at Korean grammar, let alone English. :p

33. Teachers have heard all sorts of reasons that students do poorly: psychological problems, physical illness or too much work.
34. Swing dancing has a deceptively simple definition: the only indigenous dance of America.
35. The best-known French dishes include canapés, pate and pickles.

What grade are you in, btw? We did this sort of shit in third grade. No offence or anything, just asking.

(semicolons are for joining together two independent clauses; everything after a semicolon could just as easily be a separate sentence.)
Not true, the second part of the sentence has to somehow have derived from the first, at least in Swedish.

Like: "Lisa was poor; this meant she couldn't buy a car."

What grade are you in, btw? We did this sort of shit in third grade. No offence or anything, just asking.
It's funny because most school leavers in Ireland (where English is the main language) don't know this shit. They don't teach grammar properly any more because apparently being able to quote John Donne is more important than knowing how your language works.

It's funny because most school leavers in Ireland (where English is the main language) don't know this shit. They don't teach grammar properly any more because apparently being able to quote John Donne is more important than knowing how your language works.

It's true. And depressing. Had a fifty minute argument with a group of people because they didn't believe there was a comma between 'Hello' and 'world'. Gave up when I realised they were arguing for the sake of it, and it was like ten against one.

Its college transfer level

tbh, I remember doing similar things in grade school, but I could never be bothered to fully learn them correctly or remember them

Back