Here is why the beta is NOT the final game, or even close to it

Q

qckbeam

I posted this before, but I thought I'd put it up again in a new thread.

Well the beta is obviously an old build of the engine since it does not use HDR lighting which was shown in the engine build on Sept. 11th. It is also missing tons of E3 stuff, stuff we know for a fact is done and complete. The models are old versions (I know this only because every time I start up a level in the beta I am told by the console that the engine was excpecting model revision 37 and it only has revision 32, it does this for all guns and weapons), the antlion guard is ugly compared to the newer version shown off in the HDR video. There are shadow problems although Gabe and co. said the shadows were fixed up. Half the levels don't work because their BSP build is to old, and the ones that do are either very much WIP's or e3 demos. I could go on and on. The fact is the hacker is a liar and an idiot for even trying to say he took all there was to take. He stole an E3 or even a pre-e3 build from Gabes machine and he didn't even get all of it. Newere builds or the source engine and half-life 2 are PROVEN to be floating around, just find the HDR video released on Sept. 11th.

Shut up before I send my Strider on you :LOL:

BTW, that is what I said like about 20 times already but some people just dont listen.

Originally posted by qckbeam

Hmm... Your reasoning is very calculated and articulate. Seriously though, why did you post this again? (Not meaning to be rude.)

-Ghost.

I thought we all knew that already... or was that just me?

What is the NEWEST Half-Life 2 video out ?? and where can it be found ??

Edit: nevermind, I found it.

Originally posted by Hallucinogen
What is the NEWEST Half-Life 2 video out ?? and where can it be found ??

Edit: nevermind, I found it.

*offtopic*
I dont care if those orange textures are just placeholders, they still look freakin awesome.
*/offtopic*

The fact is the hacker is a liar and an idiot for even trying to say he took all there was to take. He stole an E3 or even a pre-e3 build from Gabes machine and he didn't even get all of it. Newere builds or the source engine and half-life 2 are PROVEN to be floating around, just find the HDR video released on Sept. 11th.

The reason I dont think this is correct is because if I was Gabe and they stole a old version of the source code, then I would have said to the media " The hacker stole a older version of the source code" But he didnt so i believe he got the newest code.

Re: Re: Here is why the beta is NOT the final game, or even close to it

Sorry, what's that supposed to prove?

The latest video is the Source engine HDR bink movie highlighting High-Dynamic range rendering. You can find it on fileplanet, it was released along with the benchmark results.

I only reposted beasue a few people suggested it in the other thread. They thought it might become a sticky so I thought I'd give it a shot. If we don't get some sticky on this topic the questions will be raised again and again until release.

Edit: The code is at least prior to the build shown on Sept. 11th there is no doubt to that as this build of the engine doesn't support HDR at all and it's a known fact HDR is in the game now. This is a long shot but maybe Gabe doesnt want to give people justification for downloading the source by saying it's an old build.

Re: Re: Re: Here is why the beta is NOT the final game, or even close to it

Sorry, what's that supposed to prove?

The latest video is the Source engine HDR bink movie highlighting High-Dynamic range rendering. You can find it on fileplanet, it was released along with the benchmark results.

I only reposted beasue a few people suggested it in the other thread. They thought it might become a sticky so I thought I'd give it a shot. If we don't get some sticky on this topic the questions will be raised again and again until release.

I'm getting it right now at 265KB/sec should be done in 1 minute :)

Re: Re: Here is why the beta is NOT the final game, or even close to it

Originally posted by tHEmaCHInE
The reason I dont think this is correct is because if I was Gabe and they stole a old version of the source code, then I would have said to the media " The hacker stole a older version of the source code" But he didnt so i believe he got the newest code.

Gabe barley even talked about this incident, which means he doesnt give a shit because its old and very outdated.

So what, it's dog. Did you notice the entire level is textured orange and unfinished?

And it is logical to believe that Valve has had a model of dog around for months prior to E3. What does this prove?

Originally posted by Hallucinogen
That "dog" looks extremly powerful and looks like it can kick some serious ass, seems like an equal to the Lion Ant Guard.

Lion ant, lol.

BTW, that is what I said like about 20 times already but some people just dont listen[\quote]

eah don't listen becasue the mods delete the posts that give any onfo on the so called beta.

The beta is not worth downloading. Obviously this is an older version of the game. I played the tech demo map where you go in and play around with the gravity gun. The gun doesn;t even show up. It is activated with the pistol. The water effects are better in the movie. Even the map where it shows all the visual effects don't have ther right visuals. For instance the rocks that are underneath the water are not even there. where the Gman is standing in the center romm for the cmera is not even close to what you see in the movie. The bugbait map is identical to the movie but the AI doesn;t even react at all.

The lighting of the levels and the HDR for the antlions and even the combine soldiers are older models from what I've seen.

I'm just marveled at what the engine can do. The outdoor sequences will be amazing! I have a feeling that mod makers are gonna really make some interesting maps for DOD2 and CS2. Those outdoor maps are huge!

Uhhh...I dunno about you....but the Ant Lion Guard thing (as seen in the HDR video) does have the exact same effects. The skin is all wet looking and everything just like the HDR video.

When you play the beta, in the top right it says "4 days untill 9/30" either he has the current version, the hacker edited the code to make you think he stole the latest code or Gabe changed the code after he noticed he was getting hacked to fool the hacker :D

For all we know... the version of half life 2 that gabe had on his computer was a outdated version of half-life 2 and he put that date thing to remind him when he was SUPOOSED to release it....

From looking at the beta... some parts of the e3 demos are incomplete... or do not work properly... it kinda seems like gabe just said one day... "nice work guys... put that on a disk i wana try it out at home" or something and they didint finish it...

Back