Heroes: Who is yours?

DEATH eVADER

Space Core
Reaction score
This thread is devoted to people that you think deserve this status.

The rules: You can have as many as you like (afterall you may think of one now, then remember another one later on).

You can use images, videos or articles to back up your claim.

At the moment, I am thinking of Michio Kaku, who is currently working on Unified String Theory. He has written books, been on documentaries, and is pretty much a spokesperson of the scientific community. I consider him a true scientist as well, after all he can look a problem square on, and come up with a solution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michio_Kaku

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay...261&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!

Heroes, eh?
Nikolai Tesla perhaps.
Ingo Potrykus definitely.

Oh, and Kane. Obviously.

have you guys been quoting from the Stern Bible again?

Hey you're not the only one to like Conan :)

Hey you're not the only one to like Conan :)

you dont understand, I dont just like conan ...lets just say I like conan ;)

been a fan for over 20 years ..have every novel written by robert e howard and have read them half a dozen times each ..also have a huge collection of conan comics

schwartzenegger made a poor conan

What did you think of Robert Jordan's take on Conan? I thought they were pretty true to Howard's compared to most pastiches, the main difference being some gender equality.

(In your thread, sending it off-topic)

Stephen Colbert

stephencolbertcolbertrelt1.jpg

What did you think of Robert Jordan's take on Conan? I thought they were pretty true to Howard's compared to most pastiches, the main difference being some gender equality.

(In your thread, sending it off-topic)

I know everyone raves over his conan books but I'm unconvinced ..I think Lin Carter did a better job at capturing howard ..also Karl Edward Wagner did a few pastiches and restored the original Howard stories that L Sprague De Camp butchered, I'm not fond of changing Howard's work to make it PC, it is what it is ..Wagner's Kane was also awesome

kane2.jpg

also, are you aware of Age of Conan? ;)

hazar is da man <gives Hazar a $50>

Richard Dawkins...hands down.
This. Richard Dawkins is probably my hero no.1.

326d9eb9f4d0474e688334952d7df3579c166fa7_full.jpg

followed by Stephen Hawking

REZ1845a8_NWS_1403811.jpg

and Richard Feynman.

Feynman.gif.jpg

I must also mention Arthur C. Clarke who died last month, RIP.

accbanner.jpg

Stephen Colbert, Carl the guy who made Carl's Jr...
and
me.

This. Dawkins is probably my hero no.1, followed by Stephen Hawking and Richard Feynman.
I must also mention A.C. Clarke who died last month, RIP.

accbanner.jpg

Hey, that reminds me. My friend keeps saying that Arthur C Clarke liked touching young boys, but I've never read or heard anything about that... Is it true?

My big brother...only 13 months older than me, a best friend also. Died a couple of years back...RIP bro, RIP.....

zombie turtle: Stephen Biko? ..I must say I'm impressed

Indeed. I knew very little about him for the longest time until recently I began studying him more.

When I was young I would listen to the song "Biko" by Peter Gabriel and think nothing of it, now admittedly it has an emotional impact.

Hey, that reminds me. My friend keeps saying that Arthur C Clarke liked touching young boys, but I've never read or heard anything about that... Is it true?
Of course NOT!

In early 1998, Clarke was to be made a knight, with Prince Charles visiting Sri Lanka in order to make the investiture. Just before the ceremony, a British tabloid, The Sunday Mirror, claimed in a sensationalist story that Clarke was an avowed paedophile, giving supposed quotations from Clarke about the harmlessness of his predilection for boys. Clarke released a statement saying that "the accusations are such nonsense that I have found it difficult to treat them with the contempt that they deserve." He also said, "I categorically state that The Sunday Mirror's article is grossly defamatory and contains statements which in themselves and by innuendo are quite false, grossly inaccurate and extremely harmful." He later asked that the investiture of his knighthood be delayed "in order to avoid embarrassment to His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales during his visit to Sri Lanka." In answer to the newspaper's allegations, Clarke was investigated by Sri Lankan authorities, who eventually dismissed the accusations. The Sunday Mirror later printed a retraction and Clarke was made a Knight Bachelor on May 26, 2000, in a ceremony in Colombo. A formal investigation undertaken by Sri Lankan police cleared Clarke in April 1998.

Oh good. I kept telling him that I didn't think so, but he was convinced he'd read it somewhere.

I wouldn't go so far as to call anyone a "hero" of mine, but as for people I admire, well...living people only, right?

Sir Richard Branson

02_richard_branson.jpg

Teh Clarkson!!!111 He should be president of the world.

Jeremy_Clarkson.jpg

John McGuinness

JohnMcGuinness_229224.jpg

Valentino Rossi

rossi_20action_tcm78_116414.jpg

Sanjeev Bhaskar

631_h250.jpg

Steve Irwin, of course! :D.........;(
steve-irwin.jpg

yay! I figured out how to attach images all by my self! :D

John McGuinness

JohnMcGuinness_229224.jpg
Anybody with the balls to even enter the kinds of races he does (Cookstown 100, Northwest 200, the TT, etc.) are heroes in my book. I'm a bit of a Martin Finnegan fan myself, mainly beacause of his utterly awesome name :]

Damon Hill is my #1 idol, though:
800px-Damon_Hill_1997_Arrows.jpg

The most down-to-earth, friendly and well-deserved Formula 1 Champion the world has ever seen. After the legendary Ayrton Senna's death early on in 1994, he was in only his second ever full season of Formula 1, and almost managed to take the title in the final race of the season, but was thwarted by a collision with his main rival: Michael Schumacher. As a seven-year old, I watched him sticking it to Schumi again in 1995 and falling short once again, before coming back the next year and finally pulling it off in a highly emotional climax.

He was then forced to leave Williams (the best team on the grid) and joined Arrows (not exactly up to the Williams' standards), struggling with bad reliability. But there was one high point in 1997, the Hungarian GP, where he not only caught, passed and pulled away from Michael Schumacher's Ferrari, but went well into the lead of the race! Unfortunately, reliability issues struck again, and he was caught on the very last lap of the race, limping home in second with a faulty gearbox...

He spent the final two years of his career with the Jordan team, the definitive high point being his marvellous victory in atrocious conditions at Spa-Francorchamps in 1998. Sure, neither McLaren or Ferrari finished the race, but Damon got a fantastic start from third on the grid on the restart (The first start was a disaster, which he only just managed to evade) and kept a steady pace as his main rivals fell off the track.

I can't quite put into words why Damon holds such a special place in my heart, but it certainly has something to do with how likeable he was. I was living in England when I first saw him on TV, he was an englishman in an english car, exercising the British bulldog spirit.....I'm rambling, he's my hero, and always will be :p. Muray Walker's commentary of the final lap of the 1996 Japanese Grand Prix, his championship winning race, always gives me a huge lump in my throat, sends shivers down my spine, and a little tear of joy pops out of my eye (at approx. 4:00 mins. Incidentally, the whole documentary is well worth watching).

____

Special mention also goes to Gordon Freeman :p

Jerzy_Popieluszko.jpg

Jerzy Popielszko

Martyrd priest involved with the Solidarity movement in Poland, human rights activist etc

07-QZC06007_RCP05082-00-219_Papiez-Walesa.jpg

Pope John Paul II and Lech Walesa

Previous Pope and and Walesa was the former leader of the Solidarity movement, and Poland's former president

ZT: Bruce Cambell = teh win

Anybody with the balls to even enter the kinds of races he does (Cookstown 100, Northwest 200, the TT, etc.) are heroes in my book. I'm a bit of a Martin Finnegan fan myself, mainly beacause of his utterly awesome name :]

Yeah, no doubt. Gods among men. I find these events to be poignant more than anything else - track racing is about skill and talent, road racing is about courage and bravery.
A sombre celebration of the human spirit and people who are willing to put everything on the line for their dreams. It's so much more than a race - it's the ultimate test.
I saw a documentary last year called "One Man's Island", about a man who gave up a successful career, sold his house and all his worldly possessions to finance his lifelong dream of competing in the TT. It was incredible. He also wrote a book about it, called "Riding Man".

Damon Hill is my #1 idol, though:
800px-Damon_Hill_1997_Arrows.jpg

The most down-to-earth, friendly and well-deserved Formula 1 Champion the world has ever seen. After the legendary Ayrton Senna's death early on in 1994, he was in only his second ever full season of Formula 1, and almost managed to take the title in the final race of the season, but was thwarted by a collision with his main rival: Michael Schumacher. As a seven-year old, I watched him sticking it to Schumi again in 1995 and falling short once again, before coming back the next year and finally pulling it off in a highly emotional climax.

He was then forced to leave Williams (the best team on the grid) and joined Arrows (not exactly up to the Williams' standards), struggling with bad reliability. But there was one high point in 1997, the Hungarian GP, where he not only caught, passed and pulled away from Michael Schumacher's Ferrari, but went well into the lead of the race! Unfortunately, reliability issues struck again, and he was caught on the very last lap of the race, limping home in second with a faulty gearbox...

He spent the final two years of his career with the Jordan team, the definitive high point being his marvellous victory in atrocious conditions at Spa-Francorchamps in 1998. Sure, neither McLaren or Ferrari finished the race, but Damon got a fantastic start from third on the grid on the restart (The first start was a disaster, which he only just managed to evade) and kept a steady pace as his main rivals fell off the track.

I can't quite put into words why Damon holds such a special place in my heart, but it certainly has something to do with how likeable he was. I was living in England when I first saw him on TV, he was an englishman in an english car, exercising the British bulldog spirit.....I'm rambling, he's my hero, and always will be :p. Muray Walker's commentary of the final lap of the 1996 Japanese Grand Prix, his championship winning race, always gives me a huge lump in my throat, sends shivers down my spine, and a little tear of joy pops out of my eye (at approx. 4:00 mins. Incidentally, the whole documentary is well worth watching).

The personality always helps, of course. That's why I mentioned Rossi - he's a great ambassador for the sport, as well as being an incredible rider. In general I find MotoGP/F1 and the like quite stale, battle of technology now. Back in the days, racers were either on their bike, on crutches or in hospital. Not that I don't think safer racing is a good thing, but you go too far and it becomes sanitised and boring. Ducati's WSB machine now has traction control - so the rider can gun it as hard as he likes out of a corner without risking any loss of grip. Where's the skill in that? Racing is about using as close to 100% of available traction as often as possible, without going over that level and crashing.
If it's impossible to reach that point, I daresay the point of racing has been lost.

Special mention also goes to Gordon Freeman :p

Gordan Freeman is like the Nicolas Cage of geeks. :)

Back