HEV Suit unnecessary?

suburbansamuri said:
the suit has a personal field/shield like that combine foce field shit, so he can get food (and aly's ....) in his mouth but it's not as powerfull, so u can't SEE it cept when ur hit

...... ??or maybe its not on a personnal freqencey, and thats y he can't shave... cuz he can't get to his face

... also, thats Y headcrabs can't get him

Excuse me?

Sorry if this's already been posted, didn't bother to read through the whole topic.
Kleiner needed the suit delivered to BME, so why bother using alot of power to teleport it separately? He just slapped it on Gordon so he could carry it to BME.

He didn't necessarily want it delivered. I mean, Barney says "Let's get him out of his civvy's..." not "Let's get Gordon to take the suit to BME by wearing it..."

MojoChiba said:
Freeman never came out of stasis. The whole of HL2 was orchestrated by the Gman.
Not really. He gave Freeman to the resistance (for what fee, we may never know), but beyond that, all he did was observe, and then retrieve him at the end.

The main events of HL2 are started because of one thing : Lamaar breaking the teleportation device whilst Gordon was in it.
That set everything else in motion.

Wow, it really is... Has it been dragged out for its birthday, or what?
kirovman said:
he could have just delivered the HIV suit to the lab
Roffles.

el Chi said:
The main events of HL2 are started because of one thing : Lamaar breaking the teleportation device whilst Gordon was in it.

Not necessarily. While you're flashing around between locations like some crazy-apeshit Nightcrawler, Kleiner says something about you being 'pulled away' and other such strange references. I find it highly unlikely that all that would happen just by chance, including being teleported to such specific places. Breen's office - the Combine are sent after Gordon. The wasteland - Gordon sees a little bit of how messed up the world outside the city is. Icthyosaur - Gordon gets the idea that Xen wildlife is now all over earth. I don't think it was anything to do with Lamaar - he was able to walk right out of the teleport anyway.

Sulkdodds said:
Not necessarily. While you're flashing around between locations like some crazy-apeshit Nightcrawler, Kleiner says something about you being 'pulled away' and other such strange references. I find it highly unlikely that all that would happen just by chance, including being teleported to such specific places. Breen's office - the Combine are sent after Gordon. The wasteland - Gordon sees a little bit of how messed up the world outside the city is. Icthyosaur - Gordon gets the idea that Xen wildlife is now all over earth. I don't think it was anything to do with Lamaar - he was able to walk right out of the teleport anyway.
A fair point. Lamaar kicked it off, but I see what you mean about arriving in certain places a tad too fortuitously, mainly Breen's office.
But other than that, I don't think they're ridiculously random.
I mean, remember how appropriate those portals are: we never saw a barnacle on the floor, the tentacle managed to teleport into the oh-ho-spacious blast pit, none of the monsters ever got teleported into a wall.
Although if that had happened, people'd probably just assume it was a clipping error. Which is a shame, 'cause it'd look hilarious.

el Chi said:
Uhm, everything until BME. I mean, it wasn't Lamaar's fault that Eli got kidnapped.

Or is it one of your sarcasm-posts?

iMMuNiTy said:
Uhm, everything until BME. I mean, it wasn't Lamaar's fault that Eli got kidnapped.

Or is it one of your sarcasm-posts?
The only reason Breen and the Combine realised Gordon was there was because he got teleported into Breen's office.
The only reason the Combine found BME, subsequently kidnapping Eli, (at the point when they did, at least) was because they were tracking Gordon.

el Chi said:
at the point when they did, at least
They had her, but the reason they got there when they did was because of Gordon.

The HEV suit was designed for lab experiments. Why not bring it to Eli after Dr. Kliener was finished upgrading it?

Why would Kleiner modify it where he was, when BME would have far more resources?

el Chi said:
Why would Kleiner modify it where he was, when BME would have far more resources?
Because noone else can? Dr. Kleiner is probably the only person left qualified to alter the HEV suit.

Hmmm. Maybe.
To be honest, I think this is all fairly irrelevant - the real reason you were instructed to wear it was to get the gameplay going, so sod the motives (if there even are any).
as for you being "pulled away" during the teleport... Hmmm

el Chi said:
The only reason Breen and the Combine realised Gordon was there was because he got teleported into Breen's office.
The only reason the Combine found BME, subsequently kidnapping Eli, (at the point when they did, at least) was because they were tracking Gordon.
And how did they tracked Gordon to BME if he slaughtered everyone on his way? I think, as Sulkdodds already mentioned, that the Combine found BME because of Mossman.

Really, a hell-raising headcrab?

Yes, but they went to BME when they did because of Gordon. And it's fairly easy to follow him - follow the trail of destruction where recently-dead people have radio'd in saying they're fighting Gordon.
If you hear from a helicopter that it's chasing Gordon and find the same helicopter in hunks of flaming shrapnel down the road, you're probably on the right path.

Yes, it was probably more down to Mossman, but I like my headcrab chaos theory better :)

Without one, he would be cut to peices by the Combine / Xenains / Anyone. He depends on it to survive

el Chi said:
Yes, but they went to BME when they did because of Gordon. And it's fairly easy to follow him - follow the trail of destruction where recently-dead people have radio'd in saying they're fighting Gordon.
If you hear from a helicopter that it's chasing Gordon and find the same helicopter in hunks of flaming shrapnel down the road, you're probably on the right path.

Yes, it was probably more down to Mossman, but I like my headcrab chaos theory better :)
It makes me feel weak in the knees at the thought of that everything what I thought and survived through is because of a headcrab. It also makes me want to start the chapter 'Red Letter Day', make a save game just before Lamarr's appearance, type 'impulse 101' and kill it again and again...

Well they knew were alot of the rebel bases were, fairly exaclty (shelling of several rebel bases along canals and coast)

ríomhaire said:
Well they knew were alot of the rebel bases were, fairly exaclty (shelling of several rebel bases along canals and coast)
Well, there aren't any bases near BME, to boot. And, the Combine found out where most of the bases are only after Gordon's reappearance. Something among the lines of this:

concerned064.jpg

The suit is just to tell u your condition like it said in the first.

At the start of hl2 you have no hud, nothing. Valve makes it believeable, the hud is there because of the suit gordon can see it somehow, other games it's just there for u for no reason.

That's what I thinl

Whenever I play FPS games, I think of the armor and health bars as components of the same suit I'm wearing. They're two layers. If we're to take the realistic approach, where a single bullet can kill, this idea applies. So, the armor level indicates the outer armor, tough armor. The health level indicates the inner armor. When the inner armor level drops to zero, the next bullet kills you.

I liked how Deus Ex explained it. Nano-augs for the HUD and light dermal plating that keeps you ticken' after a good licken'.
Even better is playing DX on realistic. One headshot will kill you, and NSF doodies are really good at them.

But Deus Ex on Realistic is still quite playable, isn't it? I played through it on hard difficulty the first time, and I played it on Realistic the second time expecting to take at least four times as long to complete (because that's how it was with System Shock 2), but I think I only took about four more hours. But, of course, I played the silent sniper character both times, so the number of times someone blew my head off was minimal.

Ah, well pulling a melee character on realistic requires alot of luck, or alot of bioenergy.

I had a sneeky character, who also was good with a rifle. Once I got the dragonsword it was practicaly all I used other than if I needed to sniper someone.

Whenever I notice stupid shit like this in storys I just pretend it never happend.

ríomhaire said:
I had a sneeky character, who also was good with a rifle. Once I got the dragonsword it was practicaly all I used other than if I needed to sniper someone.

Hell yeah!

I didn't even need the F12 light anymore; just whip the sword out for illumination. Plus it didn't alert the enemy like the light did. (I might be wrong about the F12; perhaps it was another key.)

(I guess inside we're all just wannabe Jedis.) :)

FictiousWill said:
You're gordon freeman. You wear an HEV suit. Therefore, if you are not wearing an HEV suit, all efforts must be directed towards acquiring one.

This is the simplest and funniest explination I have seen. Straight foreward and to-the-point. I love it!

umm, yeah. HEV SUIT YOU NEED!

this thread is REALLY old... but good question. I dont really think the HEV suit is useless, it saves you from black headcrabs:imu:, bullets:sniper:, lotsa stuff... at the end of ravenholm I HAD 18/0 HEALTH/SUIT. At the beginning, i had 100/100. the HEV suit is pretty important. and it makes you look cool.

oh and:
Come to think of it, it might also have been assisted by some prodding of Kleiner by Barney...

"You know, Doc, that if he ever does show up, he's gonna need that thing. I mean, I've got my old B-shift security training to rely on, Alyx has that Kung-tai-kwon-karate-fu stuff she does, and that neat li'l sidearm of hers (not to mention that giant metal pooch), and Eli's always got the Vortigaunts and their green-flashy-stuff to help him out. All Gordo had in Black Mesa was guts, and that suit. And I know which one of the two stops bullets..."

"What do I have, then, Barney?"

"Well... nobody could look at ya and seriously think y'were a threat, Doc. Oh, and you've got that freaky-ass headhumper of yours..."
that DOES sound EXACTLY like barney... ROFL

Ugh , why did you think it was a good idea to res this thread? Look how old it is!

Back