Hi Guys a little ? for you.

-303-sKuLL

What it is i have orderd a new Dell Dimension XPS just to see what you guys think of it?

I was going to build my own but it was getting a bit expensive i was up to nearly £1000 just for the case and all the internal bits and pieces heres what i was gona get (Take a deep Breath)lol

Mother board
Supermicro P4SCA, P4 M/B, 800FSB E7210 chipset, 3x ISA, 4x PCI, DDR400 SATA/IDE drive support=£ 202.31

HDD
1 x Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 - Hard drive - 80 GB - internal - 3.5( c drive)=£ 54.49 inc VAT
1 x Maxtor 200 gb (d drive) 7200rpm or faster=£ 102.84 inc VAT

Processor
Intel Pentium 4 3.4GHz - 512Kb Cache - 800MHz FSB - SKT478 Processor =£ 205.42 inc VAT

Memory
Corsair XMS XL Pro TwinX Low Latency Matched memory pairs (2x512Mb) DDR Memory modules=£ 238.62 inc VAT

Opticals
AOpen Combo Drive 52x32x52/16x=£ 28.60 inc VAT
Case

PSU
Jeantech 450W 120mm fan power supply - Blue=£ 39.46 inc VAT

SO FAR TOTAL IS UP TO £863.32 Everthing u see i have added is from the pc component website. The thing is i have an old Crt monitor 17 inch that is ok but refresh rates are not too hot,so this is were the Dell Dimension XPS comes in im getting all the latest TECH for under £1500 with a FREE 19inch CRT + FREE delivery and no need to worry about sending components back if they dont work (if i had to build my own which would happen to me lol)

Heres a link to Dell Dimension XPS site ---->http://configure.euro.dell.com/dell...M20&qbc=D10DIM20&s=dhs&sbc=ukdhsrsdimen_xps_1

The Dell Dimension XPS you see is the basic model i added-->Dimension XPS Pentium 4 processor 550 with HT technology (3.40GHz, 800fsb+
1024MB PC-4200 Dual Channel DDR2 533MHz and a few extra bits and pieces Logitech Cordless Desktop MX Keyboard + Rechargeable Mouse.

So what do u think DELL or BUILD my self? Any comments are cool :afro: so over to guys THX.

ooo i almost for got will the dell pc run HL2 with out a hitch???

It should run good :D I dont see why you added the case as a spec

Buy all of the parts yourself, and then go to the nearest computer store and have them assemble it for you. It will be cheaper, and probably run better if they know what they are doing.

Also, you need a graphics card. And you could go with an AMD 64 Processor. You would need a new motherboard for this.

I forgot to include the gfx card i have an FX 5900 XT 128 mb and also i can build it my self thats not a problem. :D Subatomic the thing is m8 its the full package in the Dell that looks good Monitor + all the latest TECH, the pc i have just now is 3 yrs old upgraded to the max lol so time for a new one i guess. When i play CS:s i get 30-40fps some time dips away down which can be real bad at times not good online for frag counts lmao.

So, build it yourself. You can get better tech if you build it yourself, and it will be cheaper. Don't get that Dell!

*Has a Dell*

New XPS systems come with the BTX standard case I believe (as most new Dells towers do)

My advice: If you've built a system before or have a handy friend that's done it - enjoy the experience. Also - I wouldn't put a Maxtor hard-drive in my computer if you paid me. Look into a Western-Digital Caviar drive or special edition - well worth the extra $.

If you're new to it all and really like all that Dell logo stuff...buy the Dell. That XPS system will surely run HL2 fine.

It's all a matter of preference. Do you want this to be a learning experience or a normal consumption experience?

The xps im gona get has ---Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 540 with HT Technology (3.40GHz, 1MB L2 cache, 800MHz FSB)

1024MB PC-4200 Dual Channel DDR2 533MHz [2x512]

160GB (7200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive with 8MB DataBurst™ cache

Dell M993 19" (18.0 VIS) UltraScan™ CRT Monitor

Logitech Cordless Desktop MX Keyboard + Rechargeable Mouse

128MB PCI-Express ATI Radeon X800SE™

At the end of the day the cost to build my own worked nearly £1000 and that was just the tower nothing else, so the dell is a little more £ but im getting a free monitor+pci express. I think the next new pc i get i will build my self defo.

Never get a Dell. They are terrible computers.

Correction - low end Dells are terrible computers. You put the $ down and you can get a very nice system. What you think you're paying for is service...but tell that to all the people answering phones in India for Dell.

If you like the sound of the XPS and can afford it - go for it. It's not a band machine by any means.

Back