High-End Headsets

LucidX

Reaction score
I have not been up to par with the latest developments of headsets in the sound world of gaming, but recently my headset broke. I have looked around for awhile now and I have not seen much marketing done with any headsets. Valve marketed the plantronics a few years ago, the headset that I had. However, it seems that plantronics has not upgraded headset models. So I am in a quarrell of whether or not to change headset developers.

Any suggestions for the latest high-end headset?

I am only interested in the market of a headset (ie. it must have a microphone). Price is not an issue, so if you have any suggestions, at all, they are appreciated.

Depending on the quality I maybe looking into headphones alone, if there are some nice stand alone microphones out there. (Possible a headphone/mic combo?)

SENNHEISER! SENNHEISER! SENNHEISER!

feefifofum

Here's the breakdown:

If you want normal hi-qual headphones: SENNEHEISER SENNHEISER SENNHEISER. They're amazing. I've had the HD-280 Pros for about a year, and the sound is astonishing. Furthermore, they're quite comfortable, durable, able to block out almost all sound around you (you can't hear yourself talk) and very easy on batteries (ie the iPod). It's a win-win-win-win-win-win situation.

If you want 5.1 headphones: I'm not so completely sure here, but I must say, I've had my Zalman 5.1s for a while now and I love 'em.

I been using a plantronics pro gaming headset for a while now, served me pretty well, so did the Audio 90's before em, but thinking of getting a 5.1 headset soon.

I've been really happy with my Sennheiser PC150's. They don't block out all sound around you or anything, but the sound quality is awesome and the felt padding is really nice. You can pick them up for ~$50 US as well.

I agree with the Sennheiser fanboys (joule >.>), but, if you want a cheap set (like mine), pay no attention to the price tag. They are amasing. Insane bass, crystal clear sound, soft poofy padding... sechs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16826106014

It's all you'll even need. I've had 'em for around 7 months, still running strong.

Qonfused said:
I agree with the Sennheiser fanboys (joule >.>), but, if you want a cheap set (like mine), pay no attention to the price tag. They are amasing. Insane bass, crystal clear sound, soft poofy padding... sechs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16826106014

It's all you'll even need. I've had 'em for around 7 months, still running strong.

Thanks for your comments. I have heard much of sennheiser in the past, I originally considered them, however, I ended up choosing the plantronics because of the affordability and valve's support. Don't get me wrong, plantronics are great, but this time I had to go with a new company.

I wanted to try something new so I chose the sennheiser. I went with the PC series only the more advanced model. They both seem similar in features, however, plantronics seems to have a larger habit than most companies for breaking. I am looking forward to this new pair. Thanks everyone. I am truely excited to see the quality of these.

Hahaha,

This always amuses me. When people ask for High-End audio equipment they usually get suggestions of some 100$ sets :D

And for my opinion Sennheisers are way over praised. If you really want good headphones try something like Grado RS-2, RS-1, RS-225 or RS-325. Those are incredible headphones.

well he is looking for headsets not headphones ..
but i agree on overpraised Sennheisers, my choise for high-end headphones is AKG K240S (you can find it very cheap now 90£), and for headseat -Sennheisers or Speed link 5.1 (not usb)

Whats wrong with USB headsets ? I was told the quality is a lot better on USB headsets :|

Drackard said:
Whats wrong with USB headsets ? I was told the quality is a lot better on USB headsets :|

There is nothing wrong, they are great for gaming. Those suggested headphone are no doubt great but there are meant for studios. I don't need a $500 pair of headphones. High-end I guess meets different people's standards but for me there would not be any difference between buying studio headphones or a simple headset. Gaming is all thats needed. USB headsets are good no doubt but you can get more features such as 5.1 and other stuff. You truely will not notice a huge difference but that depends how much of an audiophile you are.

LucidX said:
There is nothing wrong, they are great for gaming. Those suggested headphone are no doubt great but there are meant for studios. I don't need a $500 pair of headphones. High-end I guess meets different people's standards but for me there would not be any difference between buying studio headphones or a simple headset. Gaming is all thats needed. USB headsets are good no doubt but you can get more features such as 5.1 and other stuff. You truely will not notice a huge difference but that depends how much of an audiophile you are.

no usb version for SpeedLink Medusa 5.1 headset, becose non usb is much better.
I highly reccomend these for gaming, it has 7 small speakers in it.
google for reviews and you will see.
and they are cheaper then zalmans.

Got to agree with NikolaX with those AKG (K240s) headphones. They have the price and quality in place.

I never really figured out how the 5.1 headphones work... I mean the setup of the speakers in a 5.1 sound system can't be done right with headphones. But better not judge since I haven't heard them myself.

Ou and I totally missed that he wanted a headset not normal headphones, sorry for the mix up.

Back