HIGH ping...please help

joule

Tank
Reaction score
Ok. I have gone through a lot of troubles and have tried many possible solutions to fix my HIGH ping problem. I have even made a thread about it here at halflife2.net in the Hardware and Software Forum. No luck has arrived. I have entered in many many commands in the console to try and help my ping. No such luck there.

So, I figure, that posting a new thread here may most certainly help help help. Because I need it.

Whenever I play Counter-Strike: Source I get a high ping of anywhere between 300 and 1000. This only occurs on CS: S and CS: S only.
Before you go and ask if I have 56K, you are mistakened. I have Comcast High-Speed Internet(Cable), which should give me no problem in an online game...but it sadly does. :(
I have even called Comcast for support and suggestions on what to do...they were no help whatsoever. :angry:
I have only started playing online multiplayer games since this September with my first experience being MOHAA. When playing that, I get a superb ping. No problem there.

Is there anyone, please ANYONE, that can help me with this aweful problem of mine? I am reaching the end of the rope for solutions and I really want to experience CS: S to its fullest extent.

And yes. I have turned down my video options to an enjoyable medium. Again...no improvement in ping. ;(
Also, another thing, I have never played the regular Counter-Strike. Only Source.

I have ran the following programs to possibly help with my ping:
Ad-Aware SE Personal
Spybot Search & Destroy
AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition
Zone Alarm (I shut that down)

I have restarted my computer, turned off then on my modem, and tried ping tests. Again...no improvement in turnout.

Lastly, I play in servers that are relatively near me. I live in New Jersey, so therefore I filter the servers to "East Coast US".

hey, i remember playing CS:S with you.
Anyway, i can't understand why it would be up around the 300-1000 range. Mine jumps as well (50-400) so your not the only one.

do you have a router and if so are you blocking more ports than usual

Its your ISP, or at least for me it was, I had insightbb (cable) My ping would shoot from like 80 to up to and over 1000. I called they claimed that it was the site i was downloading from, but as it turns out all my friends had lag spikes that coincided with mine (on different servers). eventually my friends dad (who just loves to sue people) threatened legal action they "upgraded" their equipment and it went away. The thing is for me ALL things relating to the internet slowed down.

jmjneary said:
do you have a router and if so are you blocking more ports than usual
I don't have a router. Or at least, I don't think so. :rolleyes:

Also, I forgot to add, no matter what server I go into I still get the same bad ping.

I have had the same problem with Comcast before, but it went away after a week or so....

I know this is an extremely obvious and elementary suggestion, but make sure that in the Steam settings you have your Internet connection speed set to DSL > 768k

Other than that, I don't know what the problem might be.

Jadewolf5675 said:
I have had the same problem with Comcast before, but it went away after a week or so....

I know this is an extremely obvious and elementary suggestion, but make sure that in the Steam settings you have your Internet connection speed set to DSL > 768k

Other than that, I don't know what the problem might be.
Really?
I have it set at LAN/T1 > 1M. Should I lower like you said?

joule said:
Really?
I have it set at LAN/T1 > 1M. Should I lower like you said?
Hmm, in my experiences the only time that that was a problem was if it was set too low. You can give it a shot though

Jadewolf5675 said:
Hmm, in my experiences the only time that that was a problem was if it was set too low. You can give it a shot though
Tried it. Not better at all. ;(

What ever shall I do?

So is it ONLY CS:S, i mean have you tried MOHAA at the same time as you get a lag spike and nothing is wrong?

Kommie said:
So is it ONLY CS:S, i mean have you tried MOHAA at the same time as you get a lag spike and nothing is wrong?
I have tried MOHAA and it runs just great. Whenever I enter a CS: S server, my ping is through the roof. Yes, it is only CS: S.

I dont think it is comcast, i played on comcast highspeed internet in detriot at my counsins house. try pinging websites with the command prompt.

Open the run command then type "cmd" then type "ping (ip or site)"

ex. http://benadamski.com/kyle/ping.gif

try that see if u ping to other places with low ping...

-NonStopableForce

NonStopableForce said:
I dont think it is comcast, i played on comcast highspeed internet in detriot at my counsins house. try pinging websites with the command prompt.

Open the run command then type "cmd" then type "ping (ip or site)"

ex. http://benadamski.com/kyle/ping.gif

try that see if u ping to other places with low ping...

-NonStopableForce
I did that. I got very good results.

Do a ping (outside the game) on a server with 18-20 ppl on it post the results, enable net_graph 3 ans post your choke and ping on the same server, do a tracert and post results. Finally if u have a util like DU monitor see how much bandwith (up/down) cs uses.

Hey all - 1st post.

I am having the exact same problem. Brand new build, 64fx-53, x800 xt, 1GB corsair, etc. no p2p client even installed, virus checked/ad-awared/spybot search&destroyed, comcast broadband connection - speedy for the most part. Runs HL2 well enough.

I ping East Coast CS: Source Servers fine, usually between 10-50, all in double digits. When I join, however, the ping shoots through the roof - between 250-950 - any idea why this could be?

I have set all options to the correct tabs, and fiddled with just about every rate command. I am quickly running out of options and am anticipating some sort of workable solution.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Im getting the same problem and also cant view low ping servers for some reason :(

Just to add, I havent tried to play any online games since installing half life and after the problems above with CS:S I tried to just go back and play regular CS but I cant connect to ANY servers for some reason, perhaps because my ping is high in these too. Even DM and TFC dont work anymore :(

I managed to join a CS:S server for the first time a moment ago and my ping was 888!! Note that im on a 1.5mb connection and get at least 20- 40 ping usually

damn

brisck1 said:
Just to add, I havent tried to play any online games since installing half life and after the problems above with CS:S I tried to just go back and play regular CS but I cant connect to ANY servers for some reason, perhaps because my ping is high in these too. Even DM and TFC dont work anymore :(

I managed to join a CS:S server for the first time a moment ago and my ping was 888!! Note that im on a 1.5mb connection and get at least 20- 40 ping usually

damn

If you have a router or an ethernet modem you should rerally check if you have got the right ports open, cause hat seems to be a port problem if with cs you can't join a server at all.

Could u check you lines activity when cs is on ?
also alt-tab to command window, while cs is on, do a netstat -aon and post results along with a capture of all running proccesses and their PID.

Seems this is a rare problem, but my friend also has it.

He can play any game on any other engine with a fine ping, including the HL1 engine. But CS source gives him pings of over 1 thousand. We both dont understand it.

CS regular, 50 ping.
CS S, 1000 ping.

His system is a good one, 2.4 ghz, 768 mb ram radeon 9800 pro

Still havent solved it, even after reformatting entire comp and reinstalling cs s.

To the other guys, try messing with your sound settings, sound card, stuff. Someone mentioned something about that causing insane lag for some reason.

I have one suggustion that probably won't work but its worth a try. Try lowering your video settings down lower. Both me and my brother have experienced CS:S problems when anisotropic filtering is active.

My rig:
Geforce FX 5200

Bro's rig:
Geforce FX 5700

I've got a 1024/256 kbit connection, and I useally ping below 100 on servers with decent latency.

You could try running one of DSLReports.com's speedtests, as it will test both your download speed and upstream, both needed for online playing.

I'm also behind a router w/firewall, and I have not forwarded any ports.

mski said:
Hey all - 1st post.

I am having the exact same problem. Brand new build, 64fx-53, x800 xt, 1GB corsair, etc. no p2p client even installed, virus checked/ad-awared/spybot search&destroyed, comcast broadband connection - speedy for the most part. Runs HL2 well enough.

I ping East Coast CS: Source Servers fine, usually between 10-50, all in double digits. When I join, however, the ping shoots through the roof - between 250-950 - any idea why this could be?

I have set all options to the correct tabs, and fiddled with just about every rate command. I am quickly running out of options and am anticipating some sort of workable solution.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Can you say PATCH? Problem solved. :cheers:

joule said:
Ok. I have gone through a lot of troubles and have tried many possible solutions to fix my HIGH ping problem. I have even made a thread about it here at halflife2.net in the Hardware and Software Forum. No luck has arrived. I have entered in many many commands in the console to try and help my ping. No such luck there.

So, I figure, that posting a new thread here may most certainly help help help. Because I need it.

Whenever I play Counter-Strike: Source I get a high ping of anywhere between 300 and 1000. This only occurs on CS: S and CS: S only.
Before you go and ask if I have 56K, you are mistakened. I have Comcast High-Speed Internet(Cable), which should give me no problem in an online game...but it sadly does. :(
I have even called Comcast for support and suggestions on what to do...they were no help whatsoever. :angry:
I have only started playing online multiplayer games since this September with my first experience being MOHAA. When playing that, I get a superb ping. No problem there.

Is there anyone, please ANYONE, that can help me with this aweful problem of mine? I am reaching the end of the rope for solutions and I really want to experience CS: S to its fullest extent.

And yes. I have turned down my video options to an enjoyable medium. Again...no improvement in ping. ;(
Also, another thing, I have never played the regular Counter-Strike. Only Source.

I have ran the following programs to possibly help with my ping:
Ad-Aware SE Personal
Spybot Search & Destroy
AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition
Zone Alarm (I shut that down)

I have restarted my computer, turned off then on my modem, and tried ping tests. Again...no improvement in turnout.

Lastly, I play in servers that are relatively near me. I live in New Jersey, so therefore I filter the servers to "East Coast US".
ok i didnt really bother reading most the replies on here so sorry if anything i said is a repeat. and also, i see you tried typing commands in the console but ill give you a few incase you havnt tried. i usually have this super lag problem like you when i install cs. my ping is a constant 300+. but after i was told about these commands, it brang it down to normal. here they are:

cl_cmdrate 20
cl_updaterate 20
rate 25000

the numbers i was given a while ago were SLIGHTLY different but this should still help cause thats what im using and so far so good. hopefully this will help. :thumbs:

I am having the exact problem and i have comcast too... 3mb down 256kb up

btw

cl_cmdrate 20
cl_updaterate 20
rate 25000

these did jack shit!

What OS are you using? I know it seems like an odd question, but if you're using an older OS your machine can have communication issues with your hub/router device (the box that your cable line plugs into).

Joule... Im a 56ker so i dont exactly know what to tell you but ive played CS games for a long time and ive learned stuff for 56k and Broadband.. Change ur rates maybe? Cable/DSL... change ur rate to 20000? cl_updaterate and cl_cmdrate 101? i dunno im just trying to help.

Back