Hit Boxes

plus the fact that all hitbox calculation is done server side so the only thing that picture is showing you is what the hitboxes look like. i wish people would stop with the ****in hysteria, i played the beta the hitboxes are the best ever, every shot you make will hit where you aimed.

Holy shit....

But yeah, i'm going to agree with the BETA guys.

i'd be inclined to take screenshots of another client rather than myself in third person camera. either way, its a beta, its only been given to us so we can report such problems so valve can fix them. the poster in questions seems only in it to see what it's like. personally, if i had the power, i'd remove him from the beta. but then i wouldn't have let people like that test in the first place ;)

i was playing cs:s last night only 2 of us on the server. After a while it was pretty obvious to both of us the hitboxes are screwed. Either that or the netcode is dodgy. I noticed i was only getting 2k in/out in netgraph. (1.6 up to 7k) and if i put my rates above 40 the whole game would start skipping real bad :(

can anyone whos pld in a cafe tell me what in/out theyre getting in netgraph and what rates can they play it smoothly on?

also why the hell did valve change the physics in CS:S. Its stupid not being able to jump on barrels and other objects. It wasnt like this in the hl2 leak! change it back!! oh it also seems theyve cranked up the physics to "10" things over-react much more it looks stupid. change that back too!!

Well most people who have been playing it have not complained.

Apparently that's just BS.

Most people have confirmed that the hitboxes are perfect.

lans said:
Apparently that's just BS.

Most people have confirmed that the hitboxes are perfect.

I haven't played it, but it's only logical to assume the hitboxes are better than the current ones in 1.6 :)

what’s all this about its a beta nonsense?

It's a beta, acknowledge the bug or show its a one off/artefacts. That’s the entire purpose of a beta. In the cafe I was in, at AF x 4 all the highlights were purple on one computer (only one, and only at AF x 4) you post and send the bug. Why? cause that's the reason you're betaing.

Don't make excuses for the game. If its bugged, report it and help finalise the game in the best possible way.

Raxxman said:
Don't make excuses for the game. If its bugged, report it and help finalise the game in the best possible way.

Well you're a responsible gamer, I don't think even half of the players would bother sending in bugs since it's not a Beta with a EULA/NDA or anything.

Sushi said:
Now the noobs won't have an excuse for sucking at the game.

At this point of the game's life I don't think there are any Noobs so to speak hehe ;)

the fiznut, both movies were with the models stationary. i also tested it and it seems fine but when u start running around alot of strange things happen

Screenshots don't prove much. The videos are about the best proof we have besides actually playing the game. My guess is the hitboxes which display on your own body are not used. Since hitboxes are calculated server side, we may not see what goes on. Who knows what kind of hit detection valve is using... perhaps an upgraded system of more accurate hitboxes. Whatever it is, it's clear from the videos that it's a damn accurate system.

ukfluke said:
the fiznut, both movies were with the models stationary. i also tested it and it seems fine but when u start running around alot of strange things happen

You're one of the few people who have reported strange hitboxes. Almost everyone i've talked to about it says they're accurate even while playing.

Edit: Also, the screenshots show the "hitboxes" (whether they're the real hitboxes used or not i'm not sure) while in a stationairy position too. Those videos were intended to prove that the stationairy hitbox screenshots are wrong. You could be right about when people are moving, but most people seem to agree they're fine.

lol even though thats a beta it wont excuse such a mistake! i hope thats just a small bug or smthn

CB | Para said:
At this point of the game's life I don't think there are any Noobs so to speak hehe ;)

Since the game JUST came out and everything, wouldn't EVERYBODY be a noob now? :)

I wonder why Valve uses hitboxes vice per pixel hit detection like Doom 3. Source is a great engine, why use hitboxes?

Sub_Lon said:
Since the game JUST came out and everything, wouldn't EVERYBODY be a noob now? :)

I wonder why Valve uses hitboxes vice per pixel hit detection like Doom 3. Source is a great engine, why use hitboxes?

Could it have something to do with the netcode? I don't know why they haven't switched yet either.

And iamidiot, hitboxes are invisible boxes that are drawn over the player model to take into account different body parts, for damage localization essentially. You can check them in the Half-Life Model Viewer:

http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/hlmv/

Nice videos by the way, I am in fact surprised how accurate those hitboxes are! Especially with the bullet going under the arm and over the shoulder ^^

A good hitbox system can be every bit as good as per pixel. Not techinically ofcourse, but in game you would never know the difference.

These are the exact same hitboxes from CS1.6 and it's quite obvious that they are not the ones used. Why they are viewable in game I'm not sure but check out the screenshots.

1.jpg: Original hitbox "bug" screenshot
hitboxes.jpg: HLMV hitboxes of arctic.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 249
Sub_Lon said:

I think they use hitboxes so that the community can continue to make custom made models. I'm not sure if you can do that with pixel hit detection. Cause...I would just make a huge Fat Albert custom model and kill everyone pretty fast. Or boost my aim and make everyone midgets.

For the last time, it's per-polygon. NOT per-pixel. (I got this wrong before I saw a mod post about it) :)

CB | Para said:
...hitboxes are invisible boxes that are drawn over the player model to take into account different body parts, for damage localization essentially. You can check them in the Half-Life Model Viewer...

Assuming the Source engine was just built over the HL engine (which was built over the Quake2 engine... starting to sound a lot like the city of Troy here lol) - which is apparent by some of the effects used (but that's not the point right now)... Anyway, assuming it was, wouldn't it be possible to just extract a model from the .gcf, run it thru HLMV, and check an see what the hitboxes REALLY are??

I mean, I've heard of people being able to look thru a .gcf before it's "available" (ie. CS:Source), but I'm not sure if extracting files is entirely possible... but it's an idea.

...or we can all just wait ~24 hours and find out for ourselves. :)

Tarmax said:
Assuming the Source engine was just built over the HL engine (which was built over the Quake2 engine... starting to sound a lot like the city of Troy here lol) - which is apparent by some of the effects used (but that's not the point right now)... Anyway, assuming it was, wouldn't it be possible to just extract a model from the .gcf, run it thru HLMV, and check an see what the hitboxes REALLY are??

I mean, I've heard of people being able to look thru a .gcf before it's "available" (ie. CS:Source), but I'm not sure if extracting files is entirely possible... but it's an idea.

...or we can all just wait ~24 hours and find out for ourselves. :)

Waiting is fine.

BTW: It was the Quake 1 engine.
But Source was basically from scratch, at best they used parts of the old engine as filler until that section of the whole engine was re-written.

I'm inclined to agree that it is beta.

I'd also like to point out that that forum has some real idiots.

"Doom3 is the only game that uses per-poly hit detection"
"Id created per-poly hit detection"
:LOL:

Back