Hitbox Bug

Ya, HL2 doesn't use
the same hitboxes.

This is related to the Half-Life engine, hl2 uses the source engine, there shouldn't be any cross over problem at all.

I'm disappointed in that Source doesn't have per-poly hit detection (only Doom 3 has it as of now), but I hear it has some advanced hitboxes.

Yea thats the only thing i have heard that i wanted in HL2. I would rather have per-pixel hit detection than physics, if i had to choose.

PPHD is pretty heavy on the performance. and it wont really give any advantages then having decals on the right place, (altrough that can be done with hitboxes to, so I don't really see any advantages over hit boxes.)

I heard that Source does have per-pixel as well as hitboxes, it's up to the modder.

ZEROarmy said:
I'm disappointed in that Source doesn't have per-poly hit detection (only Doom 3 has it as of now), but I hear it has some advanced hitboxes.
Actually, Doom 3's hit-detection is per-pixel, and it's a waste of CPU cycles if you ask me. Valve is using high resolution hit-boxes and the end result will be virtually indistinguishable from per-pixel hit-detection and will be significantly cheaper in terms of system resources.

I love how everybody is so optimistic of HL2 and if someone finds something that Doom 3 or unreal 3 engine has that Source doesn't they are like.. omfg HL2 would be like the lags with that and i don't really need it

:rolleyes:

Anyhow, this completely explains the "glitching" as many call it in Counter-Strike

Mountain Man said:
Actually, Doom 3's hit-detection is per-pixel, and it's a waste of CPU cycles if you ask me. Valve is using high resolution hit-boxes and the end result will be virtually indistinguishable from per-pixel hit-detection and will be significantly cheaper in terms of system resources.

Thanks for the info on HL2 but Doom 3 does have per-poly.

There's no point in per-pixel hit detection. It doesn't make any sense. Why have a hit-detection method that gets more accurate as your resolution increases? How do you balance that in mulitplayer?

Doom 3 is per-poly. There's no need for per-pixel.

I second that Pi Mu Rho. And the hitboxes are already fixed in counterstrike. yet they don't act like they are going to in cs:source but they do they're job.

ScopeD said:
I second that Pi Mu Rho. And the hitboxes are already fixed in counterstrike. yet they don't act like they are going to in cs:source but they do they're job.

The hitboxes in CS are god awful. Granted, they work, but they're not exactly accurate..

Shuzer said:
The hitboxes in CS are god awful. Granted, they work, but they're not exactly accurate..

There was this update few weeks ago that handled the most problematic areas of hitboxes in counterstrike. If you don't hit the enemy, you just are the noob lol.

Pi Mu Rho said:
There's no point in per-pixel hit detection. It doesn't make any sense. Why have a hit-detection method that gets more accurate as your resolution increases? How do you balance that in mulitplayer?

Exactly...hit-boxes are all around more efficent

ScopeD said:
There was this update few weeks ago that handled the most problematic areas of hitboxes in counterstrike. If you don't hit the enemy, you just are the noob lol.
They're still quite terrible.

ScopeD said:

I'm not a "noob," I can aim perfectly fine. It's just ridiculous how big the head hitbox is, but on the flip side, how hard it can be to hit at an angle.

jameth said:
They're still quite terrible.

Agreed.

HL2 is supposed to have very accurate hitboxes, at the end of the day, hitboxes are what everything uses, its just the shape of the boxes that makes the difference.

Pi Mu Rho said:

lol, per-poly and per-pixel are the same thing

A pixel is one (singular) pixel
A polygon is a bunch of pixels that make a polygon (hence the name polygon)

ZEROarmy said:

It's perfectly possible to mod it in a mod. They did it for a (SLIGHT!) performance gain (used hitboxes).

lol, per-poly and per-pixel are the same thing

Umm.. and polygons and pixels being two entirely different things led you to this conclusion?

Crusader said:
Umm.. and polygons and pixels being two entirely different things led you to this conclusion?
I really don't see how it could be different...

Does it mean that like if part of a texture is transparent on per-pixel, the bullet would go through it?

Thats the only way I could see it being different...

Well they are totally different systems. That's the first reason I would have thought you'd have came up with ;)

No. Let's say you want to have 3 different hit areas for a head. Now, we'll use as an example, someone creating a model with a head made of 1 polygon. It'd have one hit point, while per pixel could have.. many many more.

Can't somebody point me to a source saying that the source engine (no pun intended) is capable of per polygon hit detection?

Some people may call it useless or a gimmick, but I want it in a game. I am tired of killing somebody when it is clear that the bullet did not hit their body. I don't like cheap kills and I don't like being killed cheaply either. Unless the hitboxes in HL2 becomes drastically better than any game on the market right now, they are a flaw in HL2 (same with any other game).

Unless the hitboxes in HL2 becomes drastically better than any game on the market right now.

I think that's how they will be :)

Hit boxes don't need to be rudimentary like the current HL ones, the more complex you make them the more resources it takes, but the more accurate collision detection. I believe that nobody will really be able to tell hitboxes are at work in HL2, unless you try and get a bullet between someone's chin and neck or something..

Shuzer said:
No. Let's say you want to have 3 different hit areas for a head. Now, we'll use as an example, someone creating a model with a head made of 1 polygon. It'd have one hit point, while per pixel could have.. many many more.
So like this could be used to place hit decals exactly where the bullet made collision?

vegeta897 said:
So like this could be used to place hit decals exactly where the bullet made collision?

Yes sir. Either way, per poly is still pretty accurate, or so I hear. I remember reading an impressions thing on Doom 3, saying it's amazing to see a rocket narrowly miss a player by it passing under his arm

I think you can do that with the other methods, too...

Unless you mean exactly by like ridiculously un-needed levels of accuracy :p

Crusader said:
Hit boxes don't need to be rudimentary like the current HL ones, the more complex you make them the more resources it takes, but the more accurate collision detection. I believe that nobody will really be able to tell hitboxes are at work in HL2, unless you try and get a bullet between someone's chin and neck or something..

I'm not talking Half-Life or CS. I'm talking games like UT2K4, Halo and BF:V. All of those games have hitbox problems. I haven't tried out Far Cry yet, but I imagine it is the same thing.

Back