HL² music

Reaction score
Hey I was listening to the music on my HL CD (you can play it in a normal CD player if you skip the first track) and the song are very well and fits the HL mood perfectly. I didnt do this in the game cuz I didnt know it was so good =/ and Ive played through it 3 times now, oops! Oh well...

Anyways do u guys think the music from the movies are gonna be in HL2 itself? Did you like it? I loved it, I wouldnt listen to any of it normally though, not the HL¹ or the HL² music. :):cheers:

Yeah i love the HL2 music, i love that genre indeed. I have no idea what the music-genre's called , but it's in the same mood as some of the Tiberian Sun tunes. I really really love the kind of tunes especially in the Tunnels'-video and the GMan-video .. This is what makes Hl2 perfect for me.

Vague Voices and Valve Theme are good.

Kelly Bailey has composed the music in Hl1 and HL2 , he's really good (or is he a 'she'?)

if anything i'd say HL2's music is kinda techo-urban (????????? i dunno ok1?!!?!) it's very different and seems to suit the game well ^^

I once called the genre Lounge/Postapocalyptic/Techno/Urban/Futuristic/etc , not the best name of it but fits a lil' :D . Massive Attack makes some great music of this kind too.

Background music that you dont notice... like in a movie you hear some music but your brain doesnt go "oh im listening to music now" because whats happening on the screen is more important. But it adds to the atmosphere...

Originally posted by smilez
Background music that you dont notice... like in a movie you hear some music but your brain doesnt go "oh im listening to music now" because whats happening on the screen is more important. But it adds to the atmosphere...
Ah, Thanks :)

Music rocks....
although I'm only now playing HL1 with the music on...LOL

Actually, ambient music is music or sound FROM the world, like clanking chains, groaning metal, water etc etc. These are all ambient noise. Music is music.

I like Vague Voices. Reminds me alot of Tiberian sun (man i wanna play that game again, might aswell install it and play it until HL2 is released) , and it's a little like the ambient sound in the G-Man E3 Vid.

Originally posted by Mr.Magnetichead
Actually, ambient music is music or sound FROM the world, like clanking chains, groaning metal, water etc etc. These are all ambient noise. Music is music.
That's not true, music can be ambient. Ambient music is basically music in which the mood or atmosphere it creates is more important than the musical\melodic content itself. Also, music can have different amounts of ambience... for example, the soundtrack to the game "The Dig" is very ambient, but that doesn't mean there isn't any thematic material. The HL music is very ambient, but that's not an accurate style description.. music from any style can be ambient. Bah, I'll shut up now.

I emailed Gabe about this and he said the music style and composer would be the same from the first game, but there will be alot more music in HL2. Also the music is going to be more integrated into the gameplay experience....he didn't really specify what that means, but my guess is that it ramps up during action sequences and becomes more ambient during puzzle sequences.

does anybody remeber Dreamweb an adventure game had the best music ever.
I also like the intro for Morrowind.
Music and sounds is very important in games Silent Hill series is a perfect example how music and sound can change a game

its sorta ambient. But hl soundtrack is just classified as film score. That sort of mood of music gets used often in movies.

I completely agree... music can bring out emotional reactions from people that they wouldn't have had without the music.. it can make games more immersive, more frightening, more emotional.. all sorts of things.

I personally played HL without the music to complete the sense that I was in the world (you don't get your own personal soundtrack when you run around in real life, do you?), but that's not to say I don't like music in games. I actually create music for games. I would have liked some serious, eerie\dissonant choral or orchestral music (probably choral most appropriate) in HL, but that's just me. I've never been into techno\trance (and related) styles of electronic music much.
Originally posted by Tropico
I also like the intro for Morrowind.
Jeremy Soule did that... he's the guy that did the original Total Annihilation soundtrack, some of which is great.

Insane:

Adrenaline Horror
Vague Voices
Klaxon Beat
Space Ocean
Cavern Ambience
Apprehensive Short
Bass String Short
Hurricane strings
Diabolical Adrenaline Guitar
Valve Theme [Long Version]
Nepal Monastery
Alien Shock
Sirens In The Distance
Nuclear Mission Jam
Scared Confusion Short
Drums And Riffs
Hard Technology Rock
Steam In The Pipes
Electric Guitar Ambience
Dimensionless Deepness
Military Precision
Jungle Drums
Traveling Through Limbo
Credits/Closing Theme
Threatening Short
Dark Piano Short
Sharp Fear Short

If you play the CD via Media Player these songs appear

The HL2 soundtrack should be unhesitatingly awesome. I mean.. you lot heard the music during the buggy chase scene? Some pulse-accelerating drum n' bass beats - eminently fitting.

The music in the Barricade video is Drum'n'Bass...as far I was recall...

Ambient / Drum&Bass / Electronica / Industrial :)
HL² will be amazing: everything is perfect.
I love music, especially this style of music, so I expect HL² to be rich of great tunes.

@ CrazyHarij

THANKYOU!!! For once on this forum I get just what i ask for no maybe's! YAY!!!:cheers:

@ Z|insane: It's a pleasure to be of help :D

We call it Ambient just because we have no freaking idea what the genre's really called, if it even has a name. Although Pigfreezer had a good suggestion.

The Half-Life mp3 music from the steam download is really low quality (48kbps). I wonder if they will be doing the same thing for half life 2.. or lowering quality on other things to make the download smaller.. if they do I'll be buying the cd version for sure.. Anyone happen to know anything about that?

Hey sorry to be a bother but does anyone know the soundtracks to Opposing Forces and Blueshift... They register as some weird cd's through Windows Media Player

Back