HL fails to run

chrisuk27

Reaction score
Hi all hope you can help me with my hl problem.

Its only started doing it over the last couple of days and ive not added any new hardware for a couple of weeks the last thing was my new LCD flatpanel monitor. When I try to start hl it gets as far as the menu screen flashing up then fails to a small window saying 'Failed to set video mode-resetting to defaults game will now restart with original settings, it does this then fails to run again and the window says its going to set a 'safe mode' and try again, this starts in a window get to the menu and fails again?

I have checked Direct X which is uptodate as are my graphics card drivers.

I tried Bench'emAll and got the following message :

Benchmark session brief result
You can find detailed results here:
C:\Program Files\BenchemAll\result\2005.07.22.00.09.31.\

-----------------------------------------------------------
Half-Life 2 (experimental)

-condebug -mat_preloadshaders -preload -console -toconsole -dx9 -fullscreen -width <width> -height <height> +timedemoquit BenchemallDemo
640x480 not selected.
800x600 not selected.
1024x768 result file not found.
1280x1024 not selected.
1600x1200 not selected.

Im running an Athlon 2.4 / XP Pro /512 DDR Ram/ Geforce FX 5700 256meg/ 2.2Meg Broadband

Also not sure if its related but occasionally my system crashes on startup and reboots with a problem with 'Gearsec' message??

Thanks in advance :)

With your new LCD monitor, what resolution is your desktop running on?

screen

1280 x 1024 75Mhz is what the monitor asks to be set to.

I could be wrong, but don't the new Nvidia drivers mess with HL2 and the FX cards? I would suggest getting older drivers and seeing if that works.

I know this is bringing this thread back from the grave, but where could I get my hands on the old Nvidia drivers?
Ive had the same problem for weeks and I need to play this game!!!
Please take pity and help me! :(

Dumb Dude said:
I could be wrong, but don't the new Nvidia drivers mess with HL2 and the FX cards? I would suggest getting older drivers and seeing if that works.

I dont get that problem.

Back