HL:S already downloaded?

benpatient

Reaction score
So i was playing with the steam://backup app, and realized that by clicking on only one game at a time, I could see how much of each has already been downloaded. I didn't realize that any of HL:Source had been preloaded, but according to the backup wizard, it's taking up 2522mb on my HDD.

DoD:S is taking up 65mb
CS:S 1008mb
HL2 4300mb

I just thought that was interesting, and yes, i realize that the files are sitting in my steam folder somewhere, I just never bothered to look, really. And I haven't seen anyone say anything on here about HL:S already having been preloaded (at least partially).

Is this old news and I've just missed it?

benpatient said:
So i was playing with the steam://backup app, and realized that by clicking on only one game at a time, I could see how much of each has already been downloaded. I didn't realize that any of HL:Source had been preloaded, but according to the backup wizard, it's taking up 2522mb on my HDD.

DoD:S is taking up 65mb
CS:S 1008mb
HL2 4300mb

I just thought that was interesting, and yes, i realize that the files are sitting in my steam folder somewhere, I just never bothered to look, really. And I haven't seen anyone say anything on here about HL:S already having been preloaded (at least partially).

Is this old news and I've just missed it?

Not sure. I think someone has already posted this before

i bet it is.....and if you dont buy the gold or silver, you cant unlock it.....but ya....i wouldnt doubt that they did that

That would be a good suprise if Half-Life:Source was ready for release as I surely didnt expect it yet.

well HL the original game only takes up 450 mb of space on a HDD, so the HL:S files being 2.5GB is something of a good sign, no?

I think it may just be pre-allocating space...or something like that

I don't think too much has actually been finished for DOD:S,maybe I am wrong though..probably..

HL:S must be ready for release, it comes with the collectors edition of HL2.

Ordo Draconis said:
That would be a good suprise if Half-Life:Source was ready for release as I surely didnt expect it yet.
It is :) .. It was included in the RCs that were sent to Vivendi.. it's going to be available at the same time as HL2 - also what he said ^

That makes sense, considering HL:S is in the CE retail package.

Perhaps HL:Source is indeed on our systems already...I mean it is just a basic port to the HL2 engine...so..wouldnt that in theory mean that one would only need:

The Half-Life cache (for all the base models/sounds/maps)
Source Engine Cache (for the new fangled effects)

..err..yeah..thats about it really..Steam would only need to borrow items from those two caches to get it up and running..I think.

:O Im surprised. That makes sense I had completely forgotten bout the retail CE.

Dramavian said:
Perhaps HL:Source is indeed on our systems already...I mean it is just a basic port to the HL2 engine...so..wouldnt that in theory mean that one would only need:

The Half-Life cache (for all the base models/sounds/maps)
Source Engine Cache (for the new fangled effects)

..err..yeah..thats about it really..Steam would only need to borrow items from those two caches to get it up and running..I think.
Good point!

Try checking both Half-Life 2 and Half-Life: Source. It considers most of the half-life 2 data as part of Half-Life: Source apparently.

Strategi: If valve released the Hl:Source now, i bet people many people who ownz the bronze version (like me) would upgrade to silver version, to just start playing, because the waiting for the release of hl2. Of course we know this allready...

I wonder if there are any surprises for us ? Anything they haven't announced yet. That would be cool.

Back