HL SDK contests

hasan

Reaction score
I was just thinking .. of something to bring life to this almost-dead forum.

well, since the SDK for HL2 is not out yet, and since there is no point making a mod now for HL1, why not use the HL1 SDK to just sorta .. flex(or what ever word is used) our muscles :D

like I dunno, make some small challenges, about implementing certain features on the SDK. For example there was a thread a coupla monthes ago about zooming, and I ended up making a HL2 like Hev Zoom.
I think stuff like that would be interesting and it can keep our coding spirit alive, and um, well just pass time while we wait for HL2 and SDK.

Any takers? but plz, try to make the challenges small, don't ask us to implement a melee system :rolleyes:

let's start with what I just said: create a "smooth" hev zoom, like in HL2, and um, bind it to 'z', or whatever key you want.

well that's a bit too easy, but I can't think of better ideas. Maybe you guys try to come up with something (and feel free to ignore my challenge, I just wanted to start something, if you've got better challenges, bring them on)

Sounds like a plan. Too bad im just a noob with HL1 SDK :D
But hey, that'd be challenge. Let's hear what others have to say about this...

One of my released mods has a smoothe zoom like that =p
Or do we need to post the source code as well?

Im down for a challenge, but Im actually STILL working on HL1 mods, and will be until hl2 comes out.

maybe if there were prizes involved! hee hee

hmm .. I really didn't think about the 'proof-that-I-did-it' part, I was mainly looking for something to do. I always open the SDK, stare at it not knowing what to do, close it.

So I want to actually do something. and enhance my so called "skills".

I've never really looked at it either. Tried compiling in the command line (took hours to create makefiles and stuff) but found there were too many problems that the compiler I used didn't like.

I'll try with VC++ sometime soon though, always wanted to have a play with the AI and stuff.

if nobody is interested, we could change it a bit.

no contest, just throw your ideas here for possible modifications to make, or stuff you tried when you were a n00b coder. or whatever.

I'm bored, need ideas!

Make it to where I can load up a single player game that shows up in the LAN servers list so my buddy can double-click and play the story with me.

Anable - check out svencoop :)
hasan - *shrug*, i decided to wait for hl2 over a year ago, dont see the point in messing with the hl1 sdk anymore other than a learning tool for new coders :(

Onions, that's exactly my point. Learning or preparing for the HL2 SDK.

i like the idea, I'm looking at the hl1 sdk now to be prepared for hl2 :).

Back