HL1 demo

john121

Reaction score
Ok, I know valve has said that the demo for HL1 was not an "official" demo, but let's look at how this was created. Firstly, none of the stuff in the demo was copied from Half Life, which is why people played the demo AFTER the game was out. I think this is exactly what valve will do for HL2. I certainly hope they will. My question is, why don't other companies do this with other games? Everyone hates a demo that let's you look at the beginning and then ends it when it gets interesting. I was playing the demo even after I beat HL1, which is rare for ANY demo.

note to valve: if you're postponing the game to tweak a few things in the demo, plz just release the full version and tweak the demo afterwards. Everyone will be much happier. Also, I'm glad you're still tweaking HL2, and not giving in to our whining and complaining. it shows you guys are truly dedicated, wish some of our presidents had your dedication.. so run for the next election, we'll gladly not vote for kerry or bush!

yeah i also hate it when you play level 1 and 2 or level 2 and 5 it just gives away a lot of story with the recent short games (HL2 will hopefully be an expection). a completely different level just lets you taste the gamplay and makes you decide if you want to buy it without playing a part of the real game.

KillaH said:
yeah i also hate it when you play level 1 and 2 or level 2 and 5 it just gives away a lot of story with the recent short games (HL2 will hopefully be an expection). a completely different level just lets you taste the gamplay and makes you decide if you want to buy it without playing a part of the real game.
Call of Duty anyone? It's not giving away any story (lol) but it does give away some real cool levels.

i agree, game companies need to start treting demos like actual games...

lol i didnt know that about the hl1 demo . . . man where can i download it ?

i think its a cool idea not to put thigs from the real game into the demo ,its just that if you play the demo you dont need to buy the game anymore :(

lol even if we could just play that room they showed on the E3 video, with the pool and the barrels etc. that level must low on the mb size...cmon valve give us something as compensation!!!

yea great idea they could put the hl1 hazardcourse into source-engine , that would be a cool demo

I remember uplink! the plot still had gordon in it and someone complained about it... valve responded saying something like it was an alternate timestream or something :) which is cool because they can explain away any plot holes with "interdimensional breach! duh!"

I played a Demos that was completly diferent to the Original Game. I think it was the Game of thr Year edition Demo.

Adrien C said:
I played a Demos that was completly diferent to the Original Game. I think it was the Game of thr Year edition Demo.

It's known as the 'Uplink Demo'

Uplink was great, it was the first time I got to play HL. Thought the end of it was great when you first catch site of the Garg through the hole in the wall, then shortly after fall into a large room with it. But then that thing was always my favorite HL creature.

Back