HL1 port not all its cracked up to be?

freeorangeshoes said:
cs, cs source, tfc, blah blah blah

none of that will matter because a new 'killer' mod is going to be developed for hl2 (like what cs is to hl1). sure the above mods are cool, but they dont take advantage of everything source has to offer, even in an updated form. someone will make something that does, and it will replace all of those.

I think you're right. Which is why it's sort of sad to see Valve spending so much time on try to resurrect dead games.

Most of you people are too young to realize what HLs porting to source means to the modding community and what kind of effort it is from Valve. You expect the impossible and complain about everything. This is the case until you grow up and realize that money doesn't grow in trees.

ScopeD said:
Most of you people are too young to realize what HLs porting to source means to the modding community and what kind of effort it is from Valve. You expect the impossible and complain about everything. This is the case until you grow up and realize that money doesn't grow in trees.

First of all:
tree -> woodpulp -> paper -> money

Furthermore:
Why is it so important to you wether people are disapointed or not about the ports? It's not against the law to discuss what would've been cool and what not, is it?

o/t:
I agree about the bit where current mods won't handle source's abilities in regards to physics. New mods will get a chance to fill that gap. And it's fun to be able to replay the old games. Surely they will release it for free as long as you own a copy of HL2. I'm just saying all the material is available anyway to port the old games yourself if you buy hl2 (you do need the hl2.exe), so why would you pay for it?

and a little anecdote for all the impatient gamers:
When I bought my first comp, back in 1991, I was 11 years old. I went to the shop with my dad, thinking we'd come back with a pc in the trunk. When the salesman unexpectedly told us we'd have to wait 3 weeks, it completely shattered my joy. It felt like shit for at least the first week. As the date came closer I got excited again, until the day to collect the comp came. It was a fun day it was.

That's all folks

Why in the hell would Valve want to totally revamp HL1? They'd waste all their new tricks (as Rick said) on a remake of an old game rather than on a brand new experience. I doubt Valve wants the first experience the player has with their totally new tech to be a rehash of HL1. It would ruin some of that awe that comes along with HL2. From what I understand the HL1 source port will have physics fully integrated for objects and characters. So we'll have ragdolls and realistic physics, that's good enough for me.

Back