HL2 Activation problem.

Lotus

Reaction score
I installed my oryginal 5 disc copy of HL2 and newes Steam app. I got this problem: when game asks for product key and i enter it, it says that i need first to install HL2 in order to use this serial number.
Idk what to do. Game is leggal and installed. I log to Steam acc normally too. Steam recognizes HL2 serial but seems not to see game installed.
What can i do to play again this game?

Try this: Go to Steam, right click on Half-Life 2 and click "Delete Local Content..."

Steam should wipe all the data for Half-Life 2 off your PC. Try reinstalling it from the discs then.

Also, I didn't think HL2 came on five discs, are you sure it's not the Orange Box?

Also, I didn't think HL2 came on five discs, are you sure it's not the Orange Box?

GOTY edition came with 5 CDs. As for the problem, the only thing I can think to do is just install through steam and not bother with the CDs.

Is Steam telling you that HL2 needs to be installed first? If so try uninstalling HL2, but not Steam. Then with Steam running try installing HL2. Valve implemented a new security feature where disk users have to install off disk first before it would allow activation, it was suppose to prevent people buying cheap CD retail keys and a activating them on steam. My mate had this problem with an original HL2 DVD release.

The US version of HL2 retail was on 5 CDs, the EU release was 1 DVD. Good memories of my DVD not working that morning of release...

Try all the recommended things above, also ensure Steam is looking in the correct directory for the installed Half-life 2 files.

Ok guys ty for what you saying. I try tofirst install Steam then install my HL2.

Ok. I tried everything you guys sayed me to do. Steam is running, there is no game instaled in it. I install fresh copy of HL2 and when installation ends its say i need to register the game in Steam. I put the serial key added with game and message says: Please install Half-Life 2 Retail Standard before continuing. Its like Steam would not see game installed. What can i do. I rememeber that i was playing this game long time ago on this acc so its not Steam acc fault.

The strange thing is that you are trying to register the game with Steam. If you've played this version a long time ago you don't need to register it again. HL2 should be in your games list greyed out as uninstalled or not updated. If HL2 isn't in your Steam games list then you have made a mistake and must think very carefully whether you are logged into the same Steam account you originally registered HL2 to. Think very carefully.

What if I haven't played Half Life 2 before? When I installed it, the similar problem keeps on coming back.

Back