HL2 and piracy??

Kifpe

Spy
Reaction score
After reading the "Half life 2 is around the corner will you buy??? " -thread, I decided to add this thread. I have been thinking a bit af the (im)posibilaty to pirate HL2. With Steam i think too that it will be hard to pirate HL2.
What do you think or know about this? Are Valve more secure in this matter with Steam?

...I'm just wondering...

Playing HL2 MP using a pirated version? Probably going to be extremelly difficult, but not impossible.

Playing HL2 single player using a pirated version? More difficult than most games but still going to be possible.

Shiver me timber laddy - that rum might just have gotten to ye head, there be no such thing as pirates....aarrrggghhh-aaaaaa

Panthers_Domain said:
the huge filesize would probably discourage pirating..

Uhh for your information ut2004 is 6 cd's - and still get passed around like yesterdays half-eaten twinky....uhhh or so i've been told :p

Filesize has nothing to do with discouragement - getting raided at 6 am by the FBI is a discouragement.

Panthers_Domain said:
the huge filesize would probably discourage pirating..
Thousands of people have been downloading the stolen versions of DoomIII and HL2 for a long time now. I remember hearing the filesize for each of them is close to 1gibabyte zipped.

If people are willing to use up that much bandwidth downloading games as unfinished as those, then obviously they will be willing to use up bandwidth downloading the full game.

it's pretty much fact that half life2 will get pirated, if you can already get the beta from suprnova, which is huge, what's stopping the pirates from cracking the full, as in better, version?

it will be no different from any other game that has good SP and MP, it will get cracked. but many pirates will still buy it because without a valid cdkey, it will be a pain to find a decent community to play online with. and hl2 is going to offer two MP mods to start with so, its even more of a reason to buy instead of pirating it.

Sai said:
it's pretty much fact that half life2 will get pirated, if you can already get the beta from suprnova, which is huge, what's stopping the pirates from cracking the full, as in better, version?

its all about the cd keys...

either way you look at it, hl2 is going to sell phenomonally, or atleast i hope it is

It will get cracked, but it won't be easy. You can be assured that valve will implement every anti-crack feature in existance to protect HL2 consider in what it is.

I've burned copies of a few games in my time, but I'm fairly selective about what I do and don't burn. I would never pirate a Valve or Blizzard game, whereas Microsoft... well, I didn't want to spend 50 bucks on RON.

yea, i kow what you mean pendragon, size does not at all matter at all to people who pirate games

:| You can't crack the game, no possible way. Valve said they've implemented a new security precedure. So when you buy the game at a store, you have to go through a finger print identification process, fill out an application with our name and address. When you get home install the game load it up through steam you'd enter your address to match the one from the store, then it'll let you play... but this only can work once to one address PLUS 5 cd-keys that come with the game, also you have to mail in a receipt, so you cannot play the game at all if you are missing one of these.

here for more info www.half-life2.com/hl2/security/purchaseprocedures124455

I think that HL2 will get pirated alot when its first released then much less later on, because of all the kickass mods comming out and the updates you will not be able to get with the cracked virsion.

ailevation said:
:| You can't crack the game, no possible way. Valve said they've implemented a new security precedure. So when you buy the game at a store, you have to go through a finger print identification process, fill out an application with our name and address. When you get home install the game load it up through steam you'd enter your address to match the one from the store, then it'll let you play... but this only can work once to one address PLUS 5 cd-keys that come with the game, also you have to mail in a receipt, so you cannot play the game at all if you are missing one of these.

i laughed my ass off through your entire post...ty for the laugh :D :E :E

:p Heh, you're very welcome... I think the link can fool sometimes.

I don't understand why anyone would want to pirate a game like this, unless you're extremely poor and can't afford to buy it. The multiplayer is going to be one of the main factors why I buy HL2 and I, or anyone else for that matter, I'm sure would rather not have to go through the hassle of not being able to play MP.

I hope that the fact that HL2 has good security doesn't encurage crackers. :(

SLH said:
I hope that the fact that HL2 has good security doesn't encurage crackers. :(
Oh it will encourage them all right, HL2 will probably be much more of a challenge to crack than most other games and as soon as they are presented with a challenge they won't be able to resist trying to conquer it.

Hopefully however they will suffer alot of frustration and will not be very successful.

Meh, if you're too poor to buy the game you're too poor to have a computer with a decent enough spec to run it properly.

I honestly don't know enough about Steam to give an educated response, but as said I suppose Valve's content delivery/security platform will at least be an obstacle- of god knows what effect- to would-be crackers.

the single player part of half life 2 will definatley get cracked because its played offline. unless valve have implemented a way taht you have to be online to play HL2... but that would like totally isolate 56k users.

the mutliplayer may get pirated, but theres no point. youve goto respect the way valve have used steam to lockdown on duplicate cd keys.

ailevation said:

I'm sorry but...It's technology and no matter how advanced it is..someone is eventually going to crack it no matter how many security things are implemented.

With the singleplayer it doesnt really effect anyone, There just being dumb lol, with multiplayer, in 90% of cases they would probbally be limited to using hacked servers, which keeps them away from us honest folk! and lets use throw moldy sprouts at them.

It could just be a matter of hacking the Steam executable/DLLs to not log into the Steam database, but still manage to start up. Like a No-CD executable, runs the software but disables some operations. All you'd end up with is no friends list and no Steam updates, but it's not like either of them matter to the hackers who manage this.

[EDIT] Also, no multiplayer.

I don't think that pirating will be possible for multiplayer, at least not to a degree where it could be anywhere near as enjoyable as owning the real deal. But, I think that single player will definitely be pirated. I hope that the leak of the source has not made pirating any easier in any form.

Edcrab said:
Meh, if you're too poor to buy the game you're too poor to have a computer with a decent enough spec to run it properly.

I honestly don't know enough about Steam to give an educated response, but as said I suppose Valve's content delivery/security platform will at least be an obstacle- of god knows what effect- to would-be crackers.

Not only too poor to have an awesome computer to run it. But too poor to afford the bandwith that would be required to download such a beast. Heh.

People have cracked into Cisco (worlds biggest firewallprovider) and stole their
sourcecode, so the chance that HL2 will no be cracked is very little.

Biggest doesn't equal best. Cisco is known for their crap quality. Heh.

Ahh... that reminds me of a beautiful simpsons episode. Marge gets drunk with her sisters and they send a saucy letter to artie, and it passes through a cisco router/firewall covered in flies and taking at least 5 seconds. Heh(compared to how fast the information was moving thats forever)

I think one of the biggest attraction to pirates is that they can often play games for a week or 2 before the rest of us get it in retail stores, i guess some people just cant wait.

Is there a way to circumvent the hl1 WON authentication system now? I haven't heard of any. It will be much the same in HL2. Sure you have single player, but I have spend many many many more times the time playing multiplayer...

The Mullinator said:
Thousands of people have been downloading the stolen versions of DoomIII and HL2 for a long time now. I remember hearing the filesize for each of them is close to 1gibabyte zipped.

If people are willing to use up that much bandwidth downloading games as unfinished as those, then obviously they will be willing to use up bandwidth downloading the full game.

One GiG. I'm going to admit something; I've downloaded Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic (Kotor), it's around 2.8 GB, so that filesize sounds rather lame if you ask me.

The Mullinator said:

actually its 1.9 gigs rared up then you have to spend like 20 minutes to unrar it.

huge size never stopped anyone from downloading anything...cept those foolz on dsl lololol enjoy your tiers me i got 3mb.

hl2 will be pirated, maybe even before it hits the stores. thats the way it works, someone at the publishing house (supplier) copies the discs , takes it home and uploads it to a warez group courier (a.k.a curry) who then cracks it and uploads it to a site, and from there it gets distributed to great sites like www.warez-r-us.com, and www.100%freepr0n.com and then eventually trickles down to kazza for all you llama's out there.

FictiousWill said:
It will get cracked, but it won't be easy. You can be assured that valve will implement every anti-crack feature in existance to protect HL2 consider in what it is.

every anticrack feature in existence? someone obviously doesnt know shit about copy protections.

they'll most likely use whichever company did the copy protection on halflife 1 to protect their business relationship. if not then they will go with the strongest/most compatible protection available which is Starforce3, its a super bitch to crack and requires a shitload of dummy files. if they use starforce3 then it will be a long while for hl2 to be warezd.

but since hl2 is targeted at a wide range of systems from 700mhz on up, and since theres cd key protection for the multiplayer portion (pretty much uncrackable) then they will most likely choose the most compatible protections which will either be securom or safedisc. im gonna guess securom because its not duped by emulation. but it will still be cracked noetheless.

In Russia you can already buy HL2 and I think that reeeeally sucks. I mean that they sell it there already, 'cos I assume it's made from the stolen source code. And that REALLY SUCKS..

Edit: Not that I'd buy it..

Wtf? listen... steam is not gonna be th eonly way you can get the game it will also be in stores, it`s not logical for 56k ppl to download 3g of game.
Now piracy works with rar tech, Pirates cut every cd (700 mgs) to 52 parts i fyou got kicked banned out of server or even if it died while downloading you can reconstruct the download cuz it`s only parts, as long it`s from the same pirates team (Devince,Razor etc.) there will be no byte field changes meaning a succesful extract.
after the downloading sequence that will end in 6-10 hours you can easily burn the game.

i hope i made it clear that hl2 will be sold via steam and reguler stores such as egames etc.
I dont support piratizm but i dont hate it... i live in a country that dont give shit about gamers... pc games prices go up to 300 NIS here we suffer alot from that while the prices go up more ad more users decide piratizm is free and reliable and that a mistake oftenly done.

I belive devs shoud be payed for that work and if it`s good ill buy it for sure, i bought UT2004 HALO AVP2 and many more GREAT games hopefuly HL2 will be with does games soon.

Viva la Piracy.
STEAm is not safetly.
My Favorite Hack group Razor 1911 will download Half-Life 2 and post it on -------- --------.
I dont want to say name.So i put a -.
And all that, few days before Half-Life 2 relase date.HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.
Oh, i have a Full Respect about Hack group : Razor 1911.

Dont worry, Half-Life 2 piracy CD and MY ORIGINAL Half-Life 2 CD-KEY is killing combination.
HAHAHAHA.

Back