HL2 and Source - Beyond Expectations?

D

DeathwisH

I was wondering, before HL2 and the Source engine were unveiled, what was everyone hoping/excpecting Half Life 2 to be like?

I never imagined that it would be as detailed, realistic, and as advanced as it is. Although there is always room for improvement, I can't critize this game on any level simply because its completely blew away what I figured HL2 would be. I just figured it would be like HL1, but with really good graphics and improved ai. Is everyone as shocked and amazed as I am?

I never wondered about HL2 cos i was still looking forward to TF2 :p so much for that ehh?

The physics surprised me.... nothing else actually. Im a bit disappointed by the lack of originality in the action sequences from the E3 videos (basically the same linear FPS action as a HL1) But Im sure the game will have much more cool stuff than the E3 demo revealed.

I dunno, I think Im going to have problems trying not to play it as a linear fps. I mean, in the scene when Gordon runs into a building and blocks the door with a table, I'm just not used to thinking that much during these types of games. I would just try to run out and kill everyone usually. And even if the route you take is linear, it still seems that the way you go about taking it, is not.

Call me strange, but I never expected there to be a Half-Life 2. Possibly because I had never given it any thought..

There is nothing wrong with linear games. In fact, thats what made Half-Life 1 so good.

I think what suprised me the most was the engines capability to work with lower end computers while being able to take advantage of the latest hardware at the same time. That's something I certainly hadn't expected at all. I was also very impressed with the size of the maps and the excellent support for vehicles.

I'd say the physics. Also how there are differenet ways to kill someone besides only using a gun. That and most sequences arent scripted so something different might happen each time you play depending on how the AI thinks.

Yah, I'm an old-time TFC player (name used to be "Solitaire"), anticipated TFC2 so much along with the rest of the community that we all just gave up thinking about it. DOOM3 on the horizon, etc, starting last year, then whammo Valve smacks us with HL2! Also agree with ^^^ post, that it will seriously be a new gaming experience b/c of how interactive the environments will be; I'm so used to finding doors everywhere that won't open (Medal of Honor V2 map, for instance), tea cups that are bulletproof - this is going to be amazing. This year is bringing a major shift in what we all expect out of a game, and to think that they could do so much more if only the public could afford more computing power!

Well, i won't wanna be to negative, but i hoped, the old HL-way of gunfire are upgraded by the realistic-like physics, but as i read, it's remain the old-fashion (the bullet instantly hit the target, no ballistic count...)

cifu, that wouldn't make any noticble benift in playing, its not worth it

Originally posted by MIWojo11
I'd say the physics. Also how there are differenet ways to kill someone besides only using a gun. That and most sequences arent scripted so something different might happen each time you play depending on how the AI thinks.

I'm not quite sure what you mean here, but it will be heavily scripted. Notice the 'Docks' video. Gordon could have stood there without picking the crowbar up forever, and neither zombie would have attacked him because it's "A.I." said to. Same with the striders, they're not going to bust out and go nuts if Ole' Gordy isn't there to see it. The same things will happen everytime (well, aside from tactical A.I., if that's what you meant, but every game has that.... just hopefully not as good as HL2's wil be ;)), and you'll go through the game the same way everytime. It makes for an amazing first time through the game, but cuts down on single player replay value.

Unless there's co-op, then it would never get boring.
:afro:

Originally posted by MaDMaXX
cifu, that wouldn't make any noticble benift in playing, its not worth it

True. In any particular room, a bullet travels instantaneously as far as a human's reactions & perceptions are concerned. Outside is another story, with having to lead a target, wind, gravity, etc. Valve must not have wanted to simulate all that.

the graphics then the physics are what blew me away. the depths of the game and the sdk are whats keeping me constantly interested. cant wait.

I wanted to add something else here, now that I am reading some responses. My first exposure to HL2 was one of those photos with the strider; I couldn't believe it. Now that I've seen it in action, I just have to applaud Valve for coming up with such an incredible nemesis! :cheers: Yeah, so they're standing around with everything else, waiting for us to wander through and trigger an event, but so what? Otherwise we'd just be running through a destroyed city littered with corpses and strider-tracks!

What an amazing foe to have in a game! Not to mention the setting itself, City 17 with it's Eastern European architecture, and the way-cool Combine wall that picks itself up and stomps back down, eating away the city. I can't wait to look up in to the clouds to try to see the top of that skyscraper - talk about ominous! Just put yourself in Gordon's shoes for a moment, when watching that sequence, it is truly frightening to be confronted by something so mysterious, seemingly unstoppable.....

I admit, I'm a HL2 nut :dork:

Originally posted by The Duke
I'm not quite sure what you mean here, but it will be heavily scripted. Notice the 'Docks' video. Gordon could have stood there without picking the crowbar up forever, and neither zombie would have attacked him because it's "A.I." said to. Same with the striders, they're not going to bust out and go nuts if Ole' Gordy isn't there to see it. The same things will happen everytime (well, aside from tactical A.I., if that's what you meant, but every game has that.... just hopefully not as good as HL2's wil be ;)), and you'll go through the game the same way everytime. It makes for an amazing first time through the game, but cuts down on single player replay value.

Ok lets poke holes in your shitty theory shall we.

It was an e3 demo , there are flags for everything in the game , especially the AI. They told the AI when to act and how to , scripted sure but after the script starts it gets random.

Do you want to have all the enemies just running around all the time? I mean that wouldnt take any processing power , no way. And it wouldnt be pointless either.

Youll probably never even notice that they are scripted , the AI has already shown superior intelligence scripted or not Cpt.Negative.

gg.

Scripted it not necessarily a bad thing, and hopefully the tactical A.I. will be great (which all indications point to). I was just pointing out to someone else that yes, it would be scripted, and scripted heavily.

Scripting allows them to determine and create many "holy shit.... that was cool" moments. The first time through will be amazing, since you will have no idea what to expect.

Originally posted by The Duke

DUH .. that the whole point. The zombie only got up after you killed the first one, so it could surprise you. It wouldn't really be exciting if there were 2 zombies just standing there and when you showed up they attacked you. If you wanna see what a game without any scripting looks like go check out Doom 2. That has LOADS of replay value.

I think the physics and scalable graphics engine are the things that have surprised me the most. That and Valve officially announcing the game less than six months before its release.

I'd like totally unscripted missions..

I mean, you have to have SOME, like beginning/end...

but we already know its like GTA in the sence that you can do ANYTHING to compleat the mission goal, take as many routes, etc. what I'd like is to have the AI actively hunt you down, meaning they wonder around on their own, and when you hear/see you inform the others (Thats a doable) and come attack you.

think about it, no two fights EVER in the same place...

Back