HL2 ATi Download Offer

J

Jolyonekenobi

Hi all

I downloaded HL2 using the offer that came with my 9800XT. I'm going to be doing a full restore on my system shortly and was wondering how I would go about getting HL2 back on my PC once I've done it. I can envisage a world of pain and grief in trying to download it all again!!

If anyone's been through this or has any info that could help I'd appreciate it.

Thanks a lot

Joly :afro:

errr, there is a procedure called a "Backup" in the steam menu.

I've never used it though.

and, Welcome, comrade, to the Wondeful Demokratic People's Republic of HL2.net!

Enjoy your stay.

Thanks for the welcome!

I'm sorry if it's a bit of a newbie question it's just that I haven't had that much in the way of dealings with Steam - it seems a little user unfriendly at times!!

I'll have a nosey around the menus but if anyone's actually used this then I'd like to hear from ya!!

Cheers :smoking:

Jolyonekenobi said:
Thanks for the welcome!

I'm sorry if it's a bit of a newbie question it's just that I haven't had that much in the way of dealings with Steam - it seems a little user unfriendly at times!!
I'll have a nosey around the menus but if anyone's actually used this then I'd like to hear from ya!!

Cheers :smoking:

steam sucks. i hate steam, i hate the bugs in it, ect.

The worst thing of all, that Steam does, is that is gives Valve more money :O

It also deliveres us updates when we restart the game, so we don't have to go search for .exe patches.

The horror!

Well I've had a look around and I can't see anything anywhere that suggests I can get it back if I do a restore.

Don't really know what to do.... :rolleyes:

You can back up the game files (GCFs) onto a CD and restore them after the reformat.

The GCFs are in: \Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps

Burn these to CD and drag them into the same directory after you have reformatted :D

Hi Devvo

Am I as well burning the whole of that folder? The .exe file is in there as well?!

Looks like I'm going to have to go and buy me a DVD or two...!!

Thanks for your help :cheers:

Jus the GCF files. That is what contains all the game files etc and all that need backing up.

Yep unfortunately you'll need a DVD or two, or loads 'o CDs! :|

You're welcome :thumbs:

Okay - that's cool.

When I've done my restore then - how will I get the .gcf files to convert back into the game? Will I need any particular software or anything? Soz for asking a million questions but I really don't want to lose HL2 :O

Cheers

The backup option is in the right mouse button menu which you open by clicking the game name with the right mouse button. As for GCF:s, Steam automagically reads them after it has checked that you're using an account that has the games tied into.

GCF stands for Game Content File

It IS the game file. just put them back in their proper place (i.e.) where you got them from once you have reinstalled Steam™. I'm assuming Steam™ came with your graphics card package...........

Otherwise it's available at

www.steampowered.com

Guys you've been brilliant!!

I've found the backup option and it looks really straight forward. Thanks a million for your help - I'll pop back on later and let you know how I get on!!

Thanks again

Jolyonekenobi - the most important thing of them all is to make sure you know your Steam account details. Without your Steam account details you can't access the games anymore.

If you lose the back ups - it doesn't matter - as long as you have your Steam account details you can download them again for free.

Yup, it is absolutly critical that you remember your Steam username and password. Even with the backups you're stuffed if you can't remember that.

People have experienced problems with the Steam backup feature - if I were you I would just burn the GCFs to a DVD instead of using Steam backup. (that is, if you have a DVD burner)

Just a v.quick update.

I used the backup function as well as burning the .gcf's onto DVD. Luckily I didn't need them as everything went really smoothly. Thanks very much to those that replied.

Cheers :cheers:

If it's not too late, also make a backup of your SAVE and cfg folders. I don't believe the Steam backup utility saves those automatically!

You'll find them here: steamapps/[your steam user name]/half-life 2/hl2/

Back