HL2 authorization question

loofy

Reaction score
I want to buy HL2 over steam and authorize on friend's comp while I wait for new video card that I am getting this holiday season. After I get the new card am I able to authorize HL2 on my own computer and be able to play?

Not true.

HL2 must be authorized on each PC upon which it is played - it is a local setting. Once the key is tied to an account it cannot be moved - therefore you cannot both be logged into Steam at the same time (however, one of you can be offlien and it will work).

Also, it would be illegal, but lets not go into that.

Wow, your wrong. there are always ways around that. just like my proxies. hahaha

Its a per-account activation. If you install it on your m8's PC and use your steam account then all you have to do is install it on your PC and log into steam then your set, ready for form fraggin fun! :)

Kirkburn said:
Not true.

HL2 must be authorized on each PC upon which it is played - it is a local setting. Once the key is tied to an account it cannot be moved - therefore you cannot both be logged into Steam at the same time (however, one of you can be offlien and it will work).

Also, it would be illegal, but lets not go into that.

incorrect, you only need to activate per account, like another person just said, above meh.

shadowSn1p3r said:
incorrect, you only need to activate per account, like another person just said, above meh.

please dont tell lies.
its true that u have to activate hl2 only once.
but its a lie that u have to authorize the game only once on any pc.
u have to activate it for EVERY pc u want to play it on.
so u need a active internet connection on EVERY pc u want to play it on the time u install the game.

:(

Right, clear up time. Activation of the steam version will simply unlock the already present locked files.

Once HL2 is released, your steam account will work on any computer (although you can only log in to one at a time), even downloading the content if its not already present.

Yeas indeed ...
As jacen, Link, and I rightly said ACTIVATION MUST BE DONE ON EACH PC UPON WHICH HL2 IS INSTALLED. Reason - the files are encrypted when installed, so you must have a connection to the net to unencrypt them.
Simple as that. No two ways about it.

I'm sorry if people don't agree about this, but just look in the HL2 info thread. It's right there.

Kirkburn, thats not quite true. Once HL2 is released, steam will upload the files to you in an enencrypted format. Decrypting will only be nessasary on machines that have pre-loaded HL2. the retail version won't be encrypted either.

Oh yes it will. VALVe have stated that what is on the CDs is basically Steam and the preload files. In encrypted format. Otherwise, what's the point of activation ...

Fair enough, show me a link of Valve stating that and I will happily bow down to your supperior knowledge.

As far as I am concerned, activation is the process of locking a retail CD Key to a steam account. But as I say, I stand to be corrected.

Hey, hey, calm down ... there's no need to get like that.

I'm just stating what I believe to be true (and have actually read in a thread which I'm looking for, but since it is so obscure I cannot find currently)

Besides, VALVe HAVE stated that HL2 must be activated on each computer it is installed upon: see here

Kirkburn, I'm sory if I sounded aggressive there, I really didn't mean to. When I asked you to show me a link, I meant it as just that, if they said it, I would be interested to read it, thats all.

I think we have a little confusion over the term activated. I consider (As I said above) activation to be the locking of the CD Key to your account. As the point of steam is that you can log in to your account on any machine and it will download any game you are entitled to use, I think that it means you activate once, but have to log on to steam on any other machine you wish to use.

I am willing to accept that I could be wrong, but logically, it makes no sense. How can you lock a CD Key onto a steam account more than once?

p.s. This isn't meant to be anything other than friendly dicussion either. If it still sounds aggressive, let me know and I'll rethink my posting technique...

Cool ... [fluffy bunnies bounce past] ... I see that we're were arguing about two different points now.

Yay for misinterpretation, our forum friend!

Ahem, anyways, HL2 will rock and everyone will be happy and it doesn't matter :)

You godsdamn right about that one mate :D

ROCK ON!!!!!1111oneoneeleven

*ahem*

Well thanks for the support guys - I am currently DLing HL2 and will be done just about midnight.

1. I am DLing it on my own comp
2. Using LAN connection (2000 k/s) transferring HL2 to mate's comp
3. Activating the game on his comp
4. Playing for a few weeks
5. Getting new video card on my comp
6. Deleting Hl2 on mate's comp
7. Activating HL2 on my own comp and playing.

There won't be any problems if I send HL2 to mate's comp once I am done DLing? A preload is not bound to any computer I assume. :)

Just an added note:

If you uncheck steam from your startup files (msconfig), then later recheck that file to start at boot, and want to play offline, you'll have to reconnect to Steam again.,,, How annoyingly interesting, eh?
I'm truly sooo sick of all Steam's doggy-do this tricks, and
since the last unvoluntary update, now the HL2 stutter-bugs.

To all that had it all go smoothly,, lucky you!

Back