HL2 character rig for 3DS MAX?

N

No1_sonuk

Does any one know where I can get hold of a HL2 character rig for Max?
I've tried importing the SMDs from the SDK, but the rig seems to get messed up in the process.

I want to use the existing anims with a new model, so it needs to be the same.

all the characters have one mdl thats the reference model and phys and ragdoll and everything and then another one which is the anims. so just replace the character by recompiling the reference model and it will use its original anims.

Yeah, I know that. That's why I'm after a character rig - to put it in my new model.........

It'll also help me when I come to adding anims later.

valve character rig for max 101: pay attention, this is extremly difficult and complicated.

1: decompile any male mdl.
2: open max.
3: click import, and choose valve smd.
4: choose the male reference smd that you got when you decompiled.
5: choose to only import the skeleton.
6: save with the name "valve biped rig".

tough hey?

isnt there an option on the valvesource plugin to create a bipedguide and then create rig from guide?

It isn't that simple. Each skeleton requires a custom rig for each character model even if the skeleton is the same. I know your model isn't symetrical to valves model, so they wont exactly share the same bone weights. You would have to go in there and modify almost every verticie until it is the way you want it. Then you can compile it.

crackhead said:
in xsi its that simple.
Yeah, Xsi has a valve biped already available. The problem is that I'm looking for one for Max.

@naaier:
Which part of "I've tried importing the SMDs from the SDK, but the rig seems to get messed up in the process." led you to believe that I haven't already tried that?

Hah! Even in XSI or any other program you have to do the same thing or else your model won't appear right.

what do you meen do the same thing. its easy in xsi ive done it tons of times. weighting isnt hard and in xsi it can weight it for you needing only a bit of adjustment.

Oh I know it isn't hard, but you have to do it anyways. It's just time consuming.

It's that simple for max too, just using a decompiled biped. I have successfully used decompiled bipeds for about 5 different custom models, using those bipeds default anis. Its a pain in the ass to apply the bones to the mesh with the skin modifier, but thats a given anyway. I was also able to rename the gregory model files to correspond to the barney model files, so gregory would replace barny, and it worked flawlessly.

max has a skinning function, just like xsi, where you can lift the weights off of a weighted model and copy the weights to another, unweighted model, that is of similar shape (even if the skeletons do not have the same amount of bones). every character model i've made, I've weighted like this, it takes less than a minute.

yeah i wasnt talking about lifting the weights though. in xsi it can map the weights for you.

Back