HL2 characters look pologonal in 3dmax

A

Atomsk

Hey everyone, I'm new here, so hello :). I'm trying to get the models for HL2 into 3Dmax.

I was able to import them after using an mdl to smd convertor, but I noticed that all the models don't look quite right.

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/183/alyxexamplecj1.jpg
(I didn't apply her materials yet, so she is still grey)

Its not just Alyx, all characters appear like this. I know the HL2 models come in different quality levels, but I tried them all and I think this is suppose to be the best looking one (Alyx_reference.smd).

Am I doing something wrong? Any help is appreciated.

Well I tried Meshsmooth and regular smoothing. Is "smooth poly" different? If so I am unfamiliar with it.

Thanks for the response btw. :)

Its because it has lost all its smoothing groups. Have fun reapplying!

Well thats annoying =\

Though I wouldn't say it lost its smoothing groups, because it still has them on. If anything it has the wrong smoothing groups?

But atleast I know a way to fix it now, thanks. :) I guess I'll start working on that.

Edit: Hmm, smoothing groups don't seem to have any effect (just like how meshsmooth does nothing), so I don't think thats the problem either =\.

87c3rpk.jpg

Right click on view port name and make sure smooth+shaded is ticked.

Thanks for the suggestion, however:
http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/8188/alyxexamplese0.jpg

As you can see in my picture, I did have Smooth+Highlights checked. Also you can see on the right side that she does appear to have smoothing groups. I left the smoothing groups the way they werw when I first opened her model, however changining them (as I said before) appeared to do nothing neither, even with smooth+highlights on.

Thanks for the help so far though, I really appreciate it.

hmm that's weird, what happens when you select all and put in one group?

Nothing happens at all to the model, however my 3dmax starts to lag as if it did do something.

Try colapsing the modifire stack. See if that helps. Maybe the skin mod is doing something a little dodgy. I hope you know how to re-weight it or use skin utilities.

Try re-imorting it make sure smooth groups are turned on when importing.

or! make sure your material aplied to the mesh has the "faced" check-box at the top of the material properties turned off!!!

Back