HL2 cooperative play

E

enemy|down

Hello,

Does anyone know if Half-Life 2, will have online co-op play availible,
right out of the box?
Or will we have to wait for Sven Co-op on source?

It would be great to run thru the single player with a friend or two!

Thanks,
enemy|down

enemy|down said:
Hello,

Does anyone know if Half-Life 2, will have online co-op play availible,
right out of the box?
Or will we have to wait for Sven Co-op on source?

It would be great to run thru the single player with a friend or two!

Thanks,
enemy|down
You'll have to wait for sven Co-op

I'm doubting it, but it's always possible.

As for Sven Coop, I think I read that they weren't going to be doing an HL2 coop mode. Rather they would work on their own maps and such. But please correct me if this isn't true.

Edit: Oops, I was wrong. Here's the relevent quote:

BYHL: Whether you've started working on it or not, where do you envision the focus of Sven Coop for Half-Life 2? Do you want to make a cooperative version of the single player game? Do you want to make your own maps and gameplay modes? Have you guys done any planning for Half-Life 2, or are you still working on HL1?

Sniper: We're experimenting a little bit with Sven Co-op for Half-Life right now (version 3.5), but the focus for Sven Co-op 2 probably wont be covering the single player mission as we did in the original game. We're [definitely] going to see about supporting that, so that our player base will be happy running through the single playe

ahh bummer...

thanks for the info, guys
enjoy your day..

later

Neutrino said:
I'm doubting it, but it's always possible.

As for Sven Coop, I think I read that they weren't going to be doing an HL2 coop mode. Rather they would work on their own maps and such. But please correct me if this isn't true.

Edit: Oops, I was wrong. Here's the relevent quote:

If you look in the Editing section of the site it says "Sven Coop 2"

Dunno if thats official though.

I don't believe it will :)
Although I made a thread about co-op a while ago.

Well, i'd like to hope it will be included but knowing the way game developers are they more than likely wont ;( .
Would be awesome though :E

That would be pretty freaken awesome to start up HL2 after installing, go check out multiplayer and then find out theres an option for CO-OP :D

$niper, aka the head coder for Sven Coop said that VALVe wasn't going to do it, and that would be their job, so I assume, he got that straight from them. ...unless it came WITH sven coop O_O

For reference, he said this in the 1st thread that came up about the "hl2" server that was running on steam

It's better, because it means Valve don't have to spend more time trying to get that to work out, and can just rely on a very competent mod team to do it for them.

There will be no co-op......

...BUT! it can be easily modded!

Will there be a co-operative mode?

Gabe Newell: We aren't doing a cooperative mode, but a couple of MOD teams want to do one so we'll work with one of them.

Everyone should read the Q&A's

Indeed they should.

Co-op would rock. But who would your partner be?

What's with people and Sven coop... I played that and it wasn't anything like HL. I saw cartoon characters and shit in it. It was ****ed up. Definitely not HL coop.

I'm guessing the AI of citizens of City 17 will give you a great 'feeling' of co-operative play, even though they are AI controlled.

Well whens the last time someone asked? I mean the last time I saw it mentioned was before last September. They must have done SOMETHING in the past year :).

But yeah they did say they would be working with the Sven Co-op team for Co-op. :(

PatPwnt said:
What's with people and Sven coop... I played that and it wasn't anything like HL. I saw cartoon characters and shit in it. It was ****ed up. Definitely not HL coop.

Sven Coop allows model replacements so as well as normal Black Mesa based levels it has had many other settings based on everything from the Cartoon level you played to medieval, futuristic and even levels based on other stuff as diverse as Lord of the Rings, Resident Evil or Starship Troopers. Sven Coop isn't just hl coop it's so much more.

"Someone can easily mod it in"
Wrong, the reason Sven isnt doing hl2 co-op is because they said it would be too difficult to do well, or even decently.

A good Sven-coop thing wuld be jus 2 players in like a fort (like that bit in StarShip Troopers 1) where theres jus loads of bugs attacking the square fort

Like these 2 imagaes , Taken from the up-coming Starship Troopers FPS (wuld look beter if all textures were finished lol)

Just had this back from Gabe about coop

My Question: What (if any) options will Half-Life 2 offer to the cooperative platform? If nothing, is this something Valve have thought about/plan for the future?

Gabe Newell's reply: We're supporting the Sven Coop guys.

Cheers,

Khan

Starship Troopers graphics aren't awesome yet, but they have plenty of time to fix taht up. :)

Back