HL2 Draw Distance

dru

Reaction score
I got a GF4 mx440 64mb, I'm attempting to save up enough for a 9800pro 256mb, but thats about 4 months away. In the meantime, I was wondering if there would be a way to change the draw distance for objects on my current card (I bought a 9600se128mb a while back, the draw/fade distance for all objects was infinite, which i loved, but the card was ****ed and i had to give it back). I just hate it when you fire something at a guy with the gravgun, and it fades into nothing before it hits and you cant even tell where it went. So if anyone can help it'd be highly fineley grandly superbly appreciated, :).

aww damn.. well does anyone know where i could look? :\

Why save that long to get a 9800pro 256mb? You wont be able to run any games in 2005 with more then like 30 fps... save up for a x800 prp/6800 gt or something.

because i dont have a well paying job and i have snobs for parents who would not let me spend that much on a video card (im 16 and live in australia, and x800s cost about 700-1000 bucks here :()

which is the same amount of money. i hate it when people use exchange rates to make costs seem so much more superlative.

anyway, GF4 MXes run in DX7 mode (because they're modified GF2s) so HL2 is gonna look like ass and there isn't anything you can do to fix it short of getting a different card.

Raziel-Jcd said:
Why save that long to get a 9800pro 256mb? You wont be able to run any games in 2005 with more then like 30 fps... save up for a x800 prp/6800 gt or something.

Well thats a load of crap

luketabor said:
which is the same amount of money. i hate it when people use exchange rates to make costs seem so much more superlative.

anyway, GF4 MXes run in DX7 mode (because they're modified GF2s) so HL2 is gonna look like ass and there isn't anything you can do to fix it short of getting a different card.

Are you saying that dx7 doesn't support further draw distance? :|
I can stand the "ass graphics" ,but I want further draw distance. I thought it was just an easy console command but oh well :bonce: :x

that's what i'm saying...there have been a lot of sites doing comparisons showing screenshots where you can see combine out in the open but not be able to shoot them, then when you walk closer you see that they were actually behind a dumpster or something. i guess it's just part of that rendering path to get the needed framerates on that hardware.

unless there is something I don't know about how it was all done, which there could be. why not contact Valve about it?

Go into your Steam\SteamApps\Username\half-life 2\bin
and open the file called, dxsupport, with a text program etc.

Then scroll down to where it says "name" "70"

Under that, find these commands:

"ConVar.r_screenfademinsize" "250"
"ConVar.r_screenfademaxsize" "300"

and change both to "0", save and overwrite

that should do the trick ;)

Mickeey said:
Go into your Steam\SteamApps\Username\half-life 2\bin
and open the file called, dxsupport, with a text program etc.

Then scroll down to where it says "name" "70"

Under that, find these commands:

"ConVar.r_screenfademinsize" "250"
"ConVar.r_screenfademaxsize" "300"

and change both to "0", save and overwrite

that should do the trick ;)

What does this do though, set the viewdistance to what? I want to play Half Life 2 so I can see objects quite a way off, but not so it effects the gameplay, I dont want any lag.

Back