HL2: DVD or CD?

The Hulk

Reaction score
Has it been confirmed whether the game will be on DVD or CD (possible multiple CDs)?

Hulk :cheers:

Gorgon said:
poll to vote in

It won't allow me to add a poll in the edit option. Should of thought of adding a poll before I created this thread! I should bang my head on my desk for not thinking of that, but already banging my head until HL2 comes out....

DVD would be good, people with CD drives only would have an anurism though

I Be having the ****ing cd`s because i don have a DvD.

How is this a poll?

He is asking if the game will be released in DVD or CD.

It will be available in both.

I like big boxes - which had many cds, makes you feel good in the inside that it's your money's worth.

But I suppose I have to live in the 21st centuary, and buy the compact DVD box. :(

SubKamran said:
I hope DVD...I can't keep putting in 4 CDs. :D
Same here. :rolleyes:
DVD would be best.
And for those of you who do not have a DVD-ROM, well then...I guess it's time for you to get one.

Installing FC with 5 CDs was one of the most displeasurable things I've had to do in the past few months.. BRING ON THE DVD! lol

DVD is better!

Im guessing HL2 will be a huge game and I don't want it to be like XIII, with four disk to change while your playing the game that sucks and takes you out of the game fast. So, I hope they put it in to a DVD format to put it all on one disk. I was wondering if you get from steam and download it. I know it will boot right from the hard drive, so I was thinking if you could do that with the DVD have an option to boot from the hard drive instead of the DVD or CD drive. :borg:

I heard Valve said they were thinking about it. I guess it will be a moot point for me since I'm downloading it. But I hope it will be easily burnable to DVD. :)

skull24 said:
Im guessing HL2 will be a huge game and I don't want it to be like XIII, with four disk to change while your playing the game that sucks and takes you out of the game fast. So, I hope they put it in to a DVD format to put it all on one disk. I was wondering if you get from steam and download it. I know it will boot right from the hard drive, so I was thinking if you could do that with the DVD have an option to boot from the hard drive instead of the DVD or CD drive. :borg:

You can do this with Condition Zero. It'll work the same way with HL2

So, in short, you can run it from your HD, with the CD in your drive for a check. Or you can run it purely off Steam, without the CD in your drive :)

u ppl should get DVD drives.... here in canada there only $29.99 CDN for a LG 16x

wow, we keep rehashing old threads. we really need some new info other than:

hl2 is coming out this summer
hl mods will be ported to source
hl2 has a secret mp

DVD's are the future. CD's are practically dead. I hope for a DVD release (at least for the CE) obviously.

whats the big deal? you only need to change the CDs when your installing. and you only install it once.

i havent come across a PC game lately that requires you to switch cds in game. all the crap is stored on your pc.

you wont even need a cd in for key checking.. becuase of steam. most people have broadband internet these days so that aint a problem either.

i think maybe the normal version of the game will be on cds and SE on dvd. meh

skull24 said:

worst disc changing experience ever ===> baldur's gate

gah, DVD drives can be gotten for like, $30 nowadays...no reason not to have one.

guise said:
whats the big deal? you only need to change the CDs when your installing. and you only install it once.

i havent come across a PC game lately that requires you to switch cds in game. all the crap is stored on your pc.

you wont even need a cd in for key checking.. becuase of steam. most people have broadband internet these days so that aint a problem either.

i think maybe the normal version of the game will be on cds and SE on dvd. meh

there are games out there that force u to change CDs in the middle of ur SP experience and that is annoying as hell.

Alec_85 said:
DVD's are the future. CD's are practically dead. I hope for a DVD release (at least for the CE) obviously.

yeah i really hope the Collectors Edition is in DVD format :)
hmm.. i won't pretend to know the costs of having the game in both CD and DVD formats...but i guess that is one option.

but really pple...its time to go purchase a DVD drive.. they are not too expensive.. surely if u can purchase a PC, u can purchase a DVD drive as well.. :p

Adidajs said:
wow, we keep rehashing old threads. we really need some new info other than:

hl2 is coming out this summer
hl mods will be ported to source
hl2 has a secret mp

Holy Christwagons does hl2 has a secret mp? I wonder where they are going to hide it.

PowerLlama said:
http://www.pricewatch.com/1/212/3056-1.htm

17 bux shipped for a dvd-rom... get one you cheap bastards

and anyone here install UT2k4... god that SUCKED... SIX freakin discs

lol, resorts to name calling, telling people to get a dvd drive....

then complains that ut2k4 sucked installing 6 discs, which happens to also be available on what again?

yep.... you guessed it..... dvd

Yeah the CE o UT2k4 rules. I use the headphones (crappy as they may or not be) every day. Even more than I play the game :D It's not even installed anymore.

For safety's sake, I will use RAR to make the GCFs from Steam fit on however many CDs I need. I don't have a DVD burner. :/

I have no DVD drive currently (thats reliable)

but my dad does..... :LOL: *gets screwdriver from tool kit*

im saving up for one of those DVD/CD burners.

as for the whole CD case Vs. DVD case thing....

DVD cases are all we get in the UK, DVD or no DVD its always a DVD case, ever since red alert 2.

and i like em.

GorgeousOrifice said:
For safety's sake, I will use RAR to make the GCFs from Steam fit on however many CDs I need. I don't have a DVD burner. :/

I've seen internal 8X DVD burners (which are also DVD readers) for about $100.
I personally hope the is at least a version on DVD for the box version. I've loaded Visual Studio.NET on my PC before, and it was DVD and seemed to take forever - can't imagine doing that much info from CDs. Remember when Windows 95 came out (showing my age?) and at first it was on diskette - 25 of them! Ouch! :eek:

you can get an NEC 2500a (8x DVD +\- R\RW CD R\RW) for around 80 dollars..

and yeah i installed UT2k4 at a lan and all the dude had it on was cds.... then about 3/4 of the way through one of my other friends walked in w/the dvd and i was sad :(

*edit.. and i dono what speed for cd...

If there is a dvd version amazon better not send it to me.....pretty f-ing useless without a dvd drive.

Anyone who can afford to buy Halflife2 has no excuse not having a Dvd drive, seeing that they are cheaper then most games now.

For goodness sake, go out and buy a dvd drive you backward people.

even though I have a dvd drive and it's a fairly common media, I believe that cd's are more proper

a dvd would make my choice on wich to use as a cup base easier...

Razor said:
Anyone who can afford to buy Halflife2 has no excuse not having a Dvd drive, seeing that they are cheaper then most games now.

The vast majority of people who own Computers know nothing about them.

christ ive even seen people who think that if they leave their computers on over night and the hard drive revs up that hackers are stealing all their files.... and that was about a computer with NO modem at all.

Razor said:

How about the fact that i have no use for one?

Its a waste of money untill im forced to buy one....

I hope it's in CD form. I'm too lazy to go and rip out a DVD drive from one of my dad's computers and put it in mine.

Shuzer said:
Installing FC with 5 CDs was one of the most displeasurable things I've had to do in the past few months.. BRING ON THE DVD! lol
UT2004 with 6 (although you just had to pop the play disk in at the end.. which would make 6)(>_<)

crabcakes66 said:
How about the fact that i have no use for one?

Its a waste of money untill im forced to buy one....

Which would be right about now, why not spend like $15 so you can play dvds and install recent games with just one Dvd and not by 5 CDs.

Back