HL2 engine games

wilka91

Reaction score
I just discovered Flat Out, a car game based on the Half-Life² engine!

Actually I didn't know it was running on the source engine, but while I played, I noticed that the graphics and especially the physics were so similar to CS Source!

Then I ran a little search and found out about the Source engine!

5 minutes later I had already ordered the game! :cheese:
It is so cooooooool. :bounce:

Any more games based on the Source engine?

I thought there were only 3 companies with the source engine?

Sure it's just not the same physics engine? Cause they did say they were inspired by Half-Life 2.

wilka91 said:
I just discovered Flat Out, a car game based on the Half-Life² engine!

Actually I didn't know it was running on the source engine, but while I played, I noticed that the graphics and especially the physics were so similar to CS Source!

Then I ran a little search and found out about the Source engine!

5 minutes later I had already ordered the game! :cheese:
It is so cooooooool. :bounce:

Any more games based on the Source engine?

Are you sure? Because i'm pretty sure that Source-based games (like bloodlines) cannot come out before Half Life 2.

its phisics are based on Havok

havok isn't HL2 engine

I read it on a French review-website

they clearly state that it's the HL2 engine

and the graphics are very similar, especially the lighting, the textures, and the way the objects interact with the cars

it uses havok 2
same used in hl2 but it's modified more in hl2... :rolleyes:

subtlesnake said:
Actually, HL2 uses a heavily modified version of the original Havok.

No-one said it didnt.

At the end of the day, Flatout doesnt use the source engine, fini.

most people say it uses havok 2 but i dont know the difference so...

hmm isn't too realistic. None of the drivers are wearing helmets or flame retardant suits.

Sideswiped said:
hmm isn't too realistic. None of the drivers are wearing helmets or flame retardant suits.
it's pure arcade, and 100% fun :naughty:

Sideswiped said:

Who needs helmets anyway...

there is a whole big diffrence between valve's source engine and havoc 2.

Evil...
Havok 2 is a physics engine, Source is a full engine.
Source's physics are oringally based off of the first Havok's physics engine. Not the second. Valve has massivly redid the code and eventually stumbled onto "The Grand Theory" where all physics can be computed through 1 equation which previously took 4. Valve obviously patened it making some scientists obvioulsy mad...
You must of misread the french website...

"The Grand Theory" where all physics can be computed through 1 equation which previously took 4
It's actually called M Theory, and we don't even have those four equations yet. You just killed a potentially good joke.

Tyrsenus said:
It's actually called M Theory, and we don't even have those four equations yet. You just killed a potentially good joke.

Huh? joke? telltelltelltelltell!

OMFG! LOOOOOOOL

I'd highly advise downloading the trailer for flatout, its hilarious, its 30mb but its only 17seconds but its WELL WORTH IT!

It's basically one of the drivers ragdolling along the track and other locations getting run over, smashed with trees, nocking down huge bowling pins and hitting speed signs LOL

amazing stuff, find it on the website: http://www.gamershell.com/download_7314.shtml :D

yeah it's a good game, but i hate people claiming wrong stuff. God, flatout doesn't use source. Geezes.

I believe HL2 uses a modified Havok1 Physics Engine.

Havok2 is now available to developers and it does some neat things that HL2 does not even do.

http://havok.com/

HL2 Phsyics are GREAT because the *developer* made them a part of the game in a believable and FUN way, but Havok2 really looks to be great. You can have mixed animations (i.e. you get shot and your shoulders jerk back but your legs can still be running) and can have limb ragdoll (i.e. shot in arm and it goes 'dead' and it flops around) and a whole lot more.

The havok 2 videos are worth the time seeing. I can see a lot of new next gen consoles using this and fluid dynamics w/ dynamic lighting to create destructable environments and other neat effects that allow more interaction with the environment.

chriso20 said:
OMFG! LOOOOOOOL

I'd highly advise downloading the trailer for flatout, its hilarious, its 30mb but its only 17seconds but its WELL WORTH IT!

It's basically one of the drivers ragdolling along the track and other locations getting run over, smashed with trees, nocking down huge bowling pins and hitting speed signs LOL

amazing stuff, find it on the website: http://www.gamershell.com/download_7314.shtml :D

my friend, are you aware that the demo is OUT? and the game TOO?

To clear up the whole havok/hovok 2 thing

http://www.havok.com/clients/valve.php
“Havok has been working with Valve for almost three years to deliver breakthrough physical gameplay. Havok 2, launched at GDC 2003 incorporates all that we have learned from working with each other,
particularly in the area of character control and ragdolls”, said Dr. Steven Collins CTO, Havok

Pretty much i think that means Valve's modified Havok is Havok 2.

wilka91 said:

yes, playing demo now =) and i knew it was out, its just that people might just buy game and not see the trailer which i think is pretty cool =)

it's not the half life 2 engine..Valve would have announced it and said "Yes, FLATOUT is using our engine" ... they're using havok ...

Computer5k said:
To clear up the whole havok/hovok 2 thing

http://www.havok.com/clients/valve.php

Pretty much i think that means Valve's modified Havok is Havok 2.

No. Valve licensed Havok in the beginning of the development, they said it was too modified already to 'update' it to Havok 2. But Havok themselves could have very well worked with Valve on Havok 2, but HL2 does not use it.

And Flatout does NOT use Source. Period.

I thought it looked like max payne 2 graphics/physics.

wilka91 said:
FlatOut is out? Last I heard for release was Spring 2005.

Back