"HL2.exe has stopped working..."

I

Intercryllic

Hi there, im new to the site and I regret making this my first post mostly because this has probably been brought up before but here goes.

Whenever I try and run ANY Source game it says "HL2.exe has stopped working". I have tried uninstalling Steam, reinstalling the games, Verifying the Game Cache, Disabling Anti-Virus', etc, but nothing works.

My computer has been running on Vista for a while now but it hasnt had any problems until a couple weeks ago. But could there be something wrong? Ive also reinstalled different Drivers for my NVidia GeForce 8800 GTS as well.

So if there is any solution to this problem other than a Reformat please help.

btw the games in question are:
Half Life 2
Half Life 2 Episodes One and Two
Counter-Strike Source
Day of Defeat Source
Team Fortress 2
Portal
...basically all the VALVe Source games

At what point does it come up with this error message?

Its 99% Vista only Vista has xxxx has stopped working

Its 99% Vista only Vista has xxxx has stopped working

It's the inequivalent of a XP xxxx has encountered an error so i don't think the problem is with Vista.
Try checking that no firewalls are blocking hl2.exe

I've been having the same problem on XP. I updated my drivers on my ATI Radeon Xpress 200. So now I have the Catalyst Control Center. The crashes vary. Sometimes it is the loading screen after selecting "New Game". Other times it is the loading screen after the Valve logos. Once I even managed to play Portal for about 10 minutes before the system crashed. It always restarts to "Windows has recovered from a serious error"

Any ideas?

Yeah im havng the same problem.

The game loads fine and runs fine but it seems everytime i try to move the mouse it closes out. Its very dissapointing cause I love to play Half Life.
Lets see I create a new game, let it load and im on the wrecked train. As soon as i look down bam hl2.exe has stoped working.;(

I've got a similar problem. I just got the Orange Box, and when I enter a portal in Portal, the game crashes. In HL2, not only does the game crash, but my computer restarts as well. I know my computer can run both these games just fine because I checked this site before I went and bought it.

I would have to put my bets on the latest steam update, because i didnt crash until then,

HL2.EXE HAS STOPPED WORKING FIX! guarenteed

i just figured out how to fix this problem. all you have to do is go into your C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\username and cut and paste any game that runs off of hl2.exe and move it into C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common and then try to run the game , you will get a black screen but just wait it out and the game will end up loading and recreate the files into your steamapps folder and from there on your game will work perfect dont know why it works but it does have fun

i get the same exact message after the loading screen (i really don't know, but all i know is there's a loading screen then a message) that says the sexact same thing.

HELP ME!!!!!!!

Back