hl2 - Horrible video glitch ..

D

didgeman

Hi guys,
Hope someone out there can help.
I have installed HL2 on may machine & it looks & runs great, except for this:
Every character looks like they have been extruded from the wall, it makes the game unplayable....
For a screenshot please see:
http://home.rafferty.ac/images/extrude.jpg
I have searched the forums & can't find anyone else with this issue.
The strange thing is that all the other textures are perfect, no color issues or missing textures, frame rates are ok etc. HL2 is the only game i am having any problem with.
System specs are:
xp 2500
kd7a motherboard
512mb crucial ram
dx9c
9700pro - driver version 6.14.10.6490
nothing overclocked.
Any help ... please .. thanks

OK free bump for me ... anyone have ANY ideas about this at all??
I have played through a good 14 hours of the game & discovered that nearly all soldiers do this, the chick that helps you in the prison and quite a few friendlies and beds in the prison but nothing else. It's very strange & very anoying.
Anything I can try to resolve this???? Please .. pretty please .. I'll buy you a beer ! (if you are old enough :) )

Try uninstalling the ATI driver....fully.

Then try to re-install Catalyst 4.11. I think the video driver may be corrupted.

Did you install it over a previous version?

Are your chipset drivers up to date?

Thanks digger, something to try.
Yep I did update my driver over the old one, but the old one was a clean install and did the same.
I will try this anyway.
My chipset drivers are up to date.
Cheers

Have you tried deleting the source models.gcf in steam apps so it re downloads it? could fix it but i aint too sure aint see that prob before.

I experienced the same problem randomly while playing Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow on an older Geforce FX card. Never found out what the issue was, because it could be fixed by restarting the game. Always thought it a bit curious, though. Just know that it isn't necessarily an issue with the game.

wow, many replies .. im feeling honoured.
KillaH, Don't think it's overheating as it happens as soon as the machine is booted. Temps are reasonable. I will try deleting the source models tonight - thanks for that.
Sonny, I'm not presuming it is the game, but i have never seen it before and most textures / models load just fine & look great. Guess my vid card may be a bit flakey, It was returned 4 times due to bad memory before I got hold of this one - guess there was a bad batch with hercules - but i have not had any other probs with this card. (3d mark, far cry, doom3 etc all run ok).

I've got the same problem as you have with my Radeon 9600 XT.. Thought I was the only victim of this problem so far.
I have it with CS:S and Vampire : Bloodlines too..
Even formatted my computer 2 days ago and it still doesn't fix anything.

EDIT :
To give you guys a good idea of what us 2 have (If we DO have the same problem), let me post my screens here..

sp_tutorial_10007.jpg

sp_tutorial_10009.jpg

Try atitool(search for link) your card might be getting faulty.

I'm just wondering.. Does that program fix things while you're running HL2 ? Or is it just some kind of tweak program ?

Hi Gimion.
Glad to see i'm not alone!!!
That definately looks like the same problem. It makes HL2 difficult to play & CS is impossible. It is driving me insane.
I have updated the chipset drivers (VIA). Used the ATI driver removal tool & re-installed the latest drivers. - still no better. It is a really weird problem in that almost everything runs fine & looks great. It is just the few textures that it messes up on.
Even stranger, i was playing last night & there were some pictures of soldiers on TV screens in the game (they were obviously tiny) and they still did the same ... arrgggghhhhhhh.
I will try ati tool tonight but I am getting really p***d off with this.
Good luck & if you find a resolution, please let me know.
Cheers.

Lunamonkey, are you saying it happens on XP but not win2k ???
Hmm this is getting stranger. It can not be the cards then & has t be a driver / software / dx issue.
Anyone else want to jump in here???/

didgeman said:
Hi Gimion.
Glad to see i'm not alone!!!
That definately looks like the same problem. It makes HL2 difficult to play & CS is impossible. It is driving me insane.
I have updated the chipset drivers (VIA). Used the ATI driver removal tool & re-installed the latest drivers. - still no better. It is a really weird problem in that almost everything runs fine & looks great. It is just the few textures that it messes up on.
Even stranger, i was playing last night & there were some pictures of soldiers on TV screens in the game (they were obviously tiny) and they still did the same ... arrgggghhhhhhh.
I will try ati tool tonight but I am getting really p***d off with this.
Good luck & if you find a resolution, please let me know.
Cheers.

Same here dude, Same here.. If I find a way to get this fixed I'll tell ya.. And yes I know how annoying it is.. I think it has something to do with them models personally.. Happens to me too at the start of HL2.. I made ATI tool test for artifacts and stuff but it seems to work just fine.. Strange glitch here..

is it possible to delete the textures for these models - where will they be located??

I haven't seen it _ever_ happen when I boot to my windows 2000 (No service packs) install.

I see it almost straight into the game when I boot to WinXPSP2 though.

Same drivers on both installs. Of course same hardware, it's the same box.

It's a weird one. I haven't tried deleting textures or redownloading it from steam yet.

At least it's running, so I won't tinker with it too much. I can't get the same to run if I reinstall my drivers, even if they are the same version, so I can't test disabling A.I on the catalysts.

Okay.. Been off for a few days now. No news at all about this problem we're having?

I think it's probably a glitch between winXP and the Half-life engine.. What we should probably do is wait for the new patches.. Is prolly gonna take another month or so, but hey.. At least we can talk on this forum. :p

i had a similar problem w/ XIII. to fix it, i had to tweak arround with enabling triple buffering, disabling fastwrites, and one or two of those compatibility settings for dx/gl.

sry to not be more specific, but that was like a year ago. but, i was able to get things to run normally afterwards.

good luck...

OK I think I have tried every combination of buffering, texture setting, resolution, deleting & re-downloading files etc. It is still no better (but i have now finished the game ... hopefully someone will fix this & I can play again as it should be. Prolly turn the difficulty up a but too.).
Really want this fixed so i can play CS. Impossible at the mo as it is.
Gonna get a 9800 pro next week & see what happens with that.
9700pro anyone???
Cheers

I would suggest running dxdiag and possibly just re-installing directx. DXdiag even doesnt always find all of the problems. And make sure you use a cleaner when you empty your old drivers...

Dude.. I completely reformatted my drive.. How does that sound for reinstalling drivers + directx ?? :p

'nother bump ... tears of frustration about to short circuit my PC unless someone helps soon ......

:*(

^me^

:)

^me if HL2 was working^

*bumpy*
Hey guys.
I'm still in here and I still did not manage to fix this issue.
I have it with more games then just HL2.. STill dont know whats going on in here. :S

change your pc. thats about the only solution available.

Gimion said:
*bumpy*
Hey guys.
I'm still in here and I still did not manage to fix this issue.
I have it with more games then just HL2.. STill dont know whats going on in here. :S
Two options: update your video card driver, or buy a new video card. From what I've seen of this issue over on the Morrowind forums, these two recommendations usually fix the issue.

Back