Hl2 Hud

Hazar

Tank
Reaction score
As many of you know, HL2 is getting a HUD makeover. Some of these things have been discused in other threads but I thought it would be nice to compile them.

Changes:

Crosshair displays health and ammo now.

You have the ability to be part of a squad now. (see the grainy attached pic for the (I think) 'squad fellomen' display.)

You have some 'aux power' now which hints at special abilities (the one being used is sprint). (see other grainy pic)

These are the ones I'm aware of and feel free to add anything you've noticed.

The pics were taken from the e32k4 full demo vid.

Attachments

• squad.jpg
    squad.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 546
  • Aux power.jpg
    Aux power.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 517
never noticed the squad bar before :)

Hazar Dakiri said:
Crosshair displays health and ammo now.

This was in last year's presentations as well :)

Hazar Dakiri said:
You have the ability to be part of a squad now. (see the grainy attached pic for the (I think) 'squad fellomen' display.)

This is fairly new, first announced in PC Zone before E3

Hazar Dakiri said:
You have some 'aux power' now which hints at special abilities (the one being used is sprint). (see other grainy pic)

This is pretty cool, but I'm still on the fence about Gordon being able to sprint

Yeah, I'm unsure about that too.

And how do you think the squad thing is going to work?
It didn't seem like they were acting as a squad too much.

indeed, I seen AI squadwork in the movies, but no gordon leading them to victory..

I heard about the special ability to sprint some where, now I see that is confirmed.
Thanks man.

I think that the AUX might be for long-jumping...

Adrien C said:
I heard about the special ability to sprint some where, now I see that is confirmed.
Thanks man.

it's not confirmed at all dude...

Yeah, I'm unsure about that too.

And how do you think the squad thing is going to work?
It didn't seem like they were acting as a squad too much.

probably both. Didn't see any longjumping in the vid's though, doubt they would take it out though..

On the sprint, I actually think its a not bad idea, I suppose. Depends on how long you can go at it for... one would think good for outdoor areas when you have to get back to the buggy after a resourceful firefight?

Now that I look at the pic again, it looks more like 'squad followers' than 'squad fellomen'

(sry abt the double post) I guess not

Ahhh. . . much better pic shuzer. The gamespy logo got in the way along with the bad resolution.

Adrien C said:
Can't you read, it says: AUX POWER SPRINT

that still doesn't confirm it :( Until Doug emails me saying "yes AUX is for sprinting" or HL2 is released, and I can sprint, It's not confirmed :)

ive seen the video a hundred times, and i see when the aux power thingh comes up, but i dont remember gordon sprinting faster than usual. oh well, i guess ill go watch again. i wont mind the addition of sprinting or other abilities as long as they explain why you have a new/upgraded suit. maybe kliener and alyx have a go at fixing up your HEV.

ye actually it was the first thing i noticed about hl2 .. i think it was in the bink with the hacksaws or whatever they're called.. shooting the glock.

(i never noticed the squad following hud before)

Btw, are those windows showing specularity, or did they make separate textures for each windows? It looks like they have specular effects to me...

hmm usp .. could be but it sounds more like a glock (oh btw im not talking cs sounds)

notice how many bullets it has got in a full clip ? (i dont have the movies on hdd)

It certainly wouldn't be a surprise if windows had specularity on them.

I've seen the Aux Power thing pop up when Gordon is running and once when he jumps (in the new strider vid when he lands on the health kit). He could have just been doing a running leap though.

If it required power to jump, it certainly would stop those people who leap like crazy in MP. Also, I'm pretty sure that the HEV is like a robotic exoskeleton in some respects, giving Gordon boosted strength. Using a boost of Aux Power to sprint fits that idea.

If that isn't confirmed, then what is? How do we know if HL2 is confirmed? pwnt. now stfu about the confirmed

i remember the script kiddies who kept pressing the super leap in multiplayer all the time ... sad

PatPwnt said:
If that isn't confirmed, then what is? How do we know if HL2 is confirmed? pwnt. now stfu about the confirmed

Numerous Presentations + 2 Consecutive Appearances at E3 + Multiple Valve Interviews + Numerous Videos + Numerous Screenshots + Official Half-Life 2 Press Release... the list goes on...

PWND

Lollerskater!

Anywho, I really like the new design, although the health/energy pickup icons are a tad obtrusive.

The spoiler tags are for plot points that might spoil the game after it's released.

No 'beta' content allowed, I'm afraid.

Ixnay on the beta nfoiay. Even in spoiler tags.

kaf11 said:
ive seen the video a hundred times, and i see when the aux power thingh comes up, but i dont remember gordon sprinting faster than usual. oh well, i guess ill go watch again. i wont mind the addition of sprinting or other abilities as long as they explain why you have a new/upgraded suit. maybe kliener and alyx have a go at fixing up your HEV.

In the PS2 manual Gina's scheduled to test the prototype Mk.5 HEV, with Kleiner supervising.
Since Gordon doesn't seem to have a HUD at the start (in e32k4 video) maybe he only gets a suit when he meets Kleiner.... the Mk.5?

Six Three said:
Numerous Presentations + 2 Consecutive Appearances at E3 + Multiple Valve Interviews + Numerous Videos + Numerous Screenshots + Official Half-Life 2 Press Release... the list goes on...

Six Three said:
that still doesn't confirm it :( Until Doug emails me saying "yes AUX is for sprinting" or HL2 is released, and I can sprint, It's not confirmed :)

Wow you dont contradict yourself AT ALL :p

crabcakes66 said:
Wow you dont contradict yourself AT ALL :p

I said that HL2 is confirmed, but Sprinting isn't.

The squad system in Freedom Fighters is a pretty cool system. Towards the end of that game you can have a squad of 20 people. Using the number keys you can send one or all of them ahead to attack, or stay behind and defend. With that many npcs though they ended up doing more work than I needed and left me with not much to do.

Good, inexpensive third person shooter for people looking for a few hours of fun gameplay.

Six Three said:
I said that HL2 is confirmed, but Sprinting isn't.

I guess you missed the bit where it says

"AUX POWER
[] [] [] [] [] [] [
SPRINT"

Keyword: SPRINT

Six Three said:

what the hell else would sprint mean then?

Yes I saw the "Sprint" under the AUX Power, but that doesn't mean it's confirmed...

Maybe Gordon was making a long distance phone call?

Back