HL2 improvements..

Sneakerzz

Reaction score
Some minor things that I noticed that I thought could be fixed maybe

1. Glass bottles break from 3 inches off the ground, maybe make it like 4 feet, that's a little more realistic.

2. Tire swings don't wrap around the tree, the just kind of glitch right through it, same with swings.

3. Can't see your own reflection in the water.

Did anyone else pick anything out?

By the way, it's fun to teleport larege objects using the mini teleporter in Kleiner's lab, mainly because it will break, which is another glitch, they sometimes go right through it.

3. Can't see your own reflection in the water.

that's not a bug or anything, because you never see or hear gordon freeman anywhere in the game, ever. it's become a "trademark" of the half-life series.

I think the first one is just because well... come on, who would actually take the time to experiment with this? But the second i think could be fixed, but i also agree with Seppo.

Yeah I agree with you too seppo, but I don't recall seeing other people reflected either, and I'm set to reflect All.

I'd have liked to have seen more variety in the monsters. It got a bit repetitive killing grunts all the time.

Also, I don't think the game's storyline was quite as inspiring as the one in Half-Life 1. In Half-Life 1, you always had a cool, interesting goal in mind, such as to launch a satellite delivery rocket, get to the Lambda labs etc. In Half-Life 2, it seemed like you often just did stuff to get to the next area.

I'd have liked to have seen more variety in the monsters. It got a bit repetitive killing grunts all the time.

Also, I don't think the game's storyline was quite as inspiring as the one in Half-Life 1. In Half-Life 1, you always had a cool, interesting goal in mind, such as to launch a satellite delivery rocket, get to the Lambda labs etc. In Half-Life 2, it seemed like you often just did stuff to get to the next area.

this post is true.

Yeah, but I've read the entire storyline from HL2, and believe me, if HL1 had a source version (That looked like Half Life 2 and not just Half-Life) I would buy/beat ir right away. I've never beaten the first hal-life. I'm on Surface Tension right now.

Are you saying the graphics are a problem? Are you still playing the game, then, or did you just stop on surface tension?

I didn't stop, I love the game, the graphics are just weird to me, haha. But I'm saying the reason I finished HL2, the graphics just made everything look even better and the story line more interesting. So if HL1 had those graphics, I'm sure I would have beaten it by now, and I've heard rumors of a source version of it...(Third-party mod Black Mesa).

im goig to download that when they finish.it looks awesome!
as for changing things in HL2, most of those are just minor problems and no-one really cares about them.i dont think valve would spend a couple of hours re-writing hundreds of lines if code to stop the rope going through a tree.

I know, I wouldn't either, but see, the Half-Life 2 game's graphics, physics, and realism was supposedly only matched by Movies. So therefore, when I notice a tiny thing like that, it bugs me.

well, one day when they FINALLY relaes EP3, they might have fixed that.maybe they will put a random rope on the borealis for you to test it.but still, if they did that, an idiot would manage o get themselves tied up and go complaining to valve tha their game is unfair, causing them to be sued or some other pointless crap.

Ropes don't wrap around trees because they aren't physically there, they're just a repeated texture connected by two point entities. For them to wrap around things it would require them to be physical objects, which would cause epic lag.

Not necessarily. Combine tanks and striders are physical objects and they don't cause any lag.

Every individual physics object adds to the resource budget of the level, to realisticly simulate a rope collding realisticly around a tree branch, you would need to segment the rope into many parts, parts that would be better spent on more barrels, crates, barriers, buckets etc, its a waste for somthing so small, that doesnt effect the play experience in any way at all.

Its worth remembering that Half-Life 2 as with all source games has been developed to run for as many people as possible, you have to carefully spend engine budget on stuff thats important to the scene, either visually, or more importantly in gameplay.

As for the reflection thing, Gordon is never visible in half-life, its just a religious rule of the franchise, just like seeing through his eyes at all times even in vehicles, thats just the way it is, incidently NPC's do reflect in water with reflect all, you just rarely have a situation where you would see it.

Also if you want to experiment with the source engines physics, then Garrys mod is a good place.

I already learned about the Gordon reflection part, and I get what you mean, I'm just saying it would be cool if that worked, I don't expect them to do anything about it.

Another bug in HL2:
If you get out a gun and press the left mouse button, a flash appears on the screen for a split second and if there's an enemy in front of you they die.

How odd!

This post is not true... One, thats not entirely the story, thats more the goal and objective pattern. two, half life 2 was get to elis lab, survive going through ravenholm, use the buggy to get to nova prospect, free eli, teleport out of nova prospect, make it through the city, defend alyx while she opens the generator, meet up with barney and destroy suppresion device, get in citadel, stop breen. Sure the goal pattern is different than hl1, in hl1 you get like 3 goals in the entire game liek reach the surface, and 5 levels later you'll get there, so tbh hl1 felt at times like i was just going through maps that are comming randomly, where hl2 there was always more debreifing as to what you need to do and there were more goals...

So i'd say they are the same in different respects...

Honestly this thread is worthless if all thats talked about are bugs imo, every game has them, and hl2 actually now pales in comparison to other games when it comes to bug, plus, it may just be your computer too and something valve didn't do wrong...

thats not entirely the story, thats more the goal and objective pattern.

I didn't say the goals/ objectives were the entire story. I only implied they were a really important point of it- which they are in a game, more so than a novel/ film etc.

half life 2 was get to elis lab, survive going through ravenholm, use the buggy to get to nova prospect, free eli, teleport out of nova prospect, make it through the city, defend alyx while she opens the generator, meet up with barney and destroy suppresion device, get in citadel, stop breen.

As I said, "In Half-Life 2, it seemed like you often just did stuff to get to the next area.". In your list, the following pretty much fall under that category: "get to elis lab", "survive going through ravenholm", "use the buggy to get to nova prospect", "make it through the city". Besides, as I also said, "In Half-Life 1, you always had a cool, interesting goal in mind". In your list of objectives, don't mean to sound a dick or anything, but none of them are particularly interesting.

Sure the goal pattern is different than hl1, in hl1 you get like 3 goals in the entire game liek reach the surface, and 5 levels later you'll get there

Not really, I can remember loads of interesting stuff just off the top of my head, get to the surface, kill the big tentacle thing with the rocket engine, make your way across the base to the top-secret Lambda labs, launch a sattelite delivery rocket, get your suit/ weapons back, find someone with retinal scanner access to let you out of that surface building with all the test rooms in, kill the being responsible for teleporting stuff over to Earth.

Admittedly, "make your way across the base to the top-secret Lambda labs" was a pretty loose goal, when it really meant "run around on the surface, fighting loads of really cool soldiers and a few Apaches, while finding somewhere to go". This reminds me though, I guess something else that's relevant is how much more varied the environments were in Half-Life 1. When you got to the surface, it was such a change after the claustrophobic crawling through vents etc. In Half-Life 2, pretty much everything involved running around outdoors. There were some spectacular environments for sure, but it did get a bit repetitive.

I didn't say the goals/ objectives were the entire story. I only implied they were a really important point of it- which they are in a game, more so than a novel/ film etc.

As I said, "In Half-Life 2, it seemed like you often just did stuff to get to the next area.". In your list, the following pretty much fall under that category: "get to elis lab", "survive going through ravenholm", "use the buggy to get to nova prospect", "make it through the city". Besides, as I also said, "In Half-Life 1, you always had a cool, interesting goal in mind". In your list of objectives, don't mean to sound a dick or anything, but none of them are particularly interesting.

Not really, I can remember loads of interesting stuff just off the top of my head, get to the surface, kill the big tentacle thing with the rocket engine, make your way across the base to the top-secret Lambda labs, launch a sattelite delivery rocket, get your suit/ weapons back, find someone with retinal scanner access to let you out of that surface building with all the test rooms in, kill the being responsible for teleporting stuff over to Earth.

Admittedly, "make your way across the base to the top-secret Lambda labs" was a pretty loose goal, when it really meant "run around on the surface, fighting loads of really cool soldiers and a few Apaches, while finding somewhere to go". This reminds me though, I guess something else that's relevant is how much more varied the environments were in Half-Life 1. When you got to the surface, it was such a change after the claustrophobic crawling through vents etc. In Half-Life 2, pretty much everything involved running around outdoors. There were some spectacular environments for sure, but it did get a bit repetitive.

You're joking? You honestly think an indoor facility is a much more varied environment than hl2? Hl2 had sewers, urban, canal, dark town, coast line beaches, prison facility, and the citadel... And in hl1 its all indoor and many rooms and hallways are the same.. I love hl1, but hl2 was clearly a step foward in varied environments as it all wansn't in some facility... Thats pretty much a fact dude...

You're joking? You honestly think an indoor facility is a much more varied environment than hl2? Hl2 had sewers, urban, canal, dark town, coast line beaches, prison facility, and the citadel... And in hl1 its all indoor and many rooms and hallways are the same.. I love hl1, but hl2 was clearly a step foward in varied environments as it all wansn't in some facility... Thats pretty much a fact dude...

Nah, Half-Life had plenty of variety- office rooms, huge warehouses, the subway system, weird labs for experiments, sewage system-related stuff, as well a load of outdoor stuff, too like the dam, cliffs etc., and Xen.

With the examples you mentioned, canal was pretty similar to beaches, and prison facility/citadel/ dark town/ urban were all similar-ish to each other. Less varied than the stuff in HL anyway.

Nah, Half-Life had plenty of variety- office rooms, huge warehouses, the subway system, weird labs for experiments, sewage system-related stuff, as well a load of outdoor stuff, too like the dam, cliffs etc., and Xen.

With the examples you mentioned, canal was pretty similar to beaches, and prison facility/citadel/ dark town/ urban were all similar-ish to each other. Less varied than the stuff in HL anyway.

Lol, we may as well argue which game had better graphics, this is silly. Hl1 is a very well varied game, especially for its time, and it still is, but half life 2doesn't depend on rooms and hallways which is what hl1 is mainly made up of, with the tiny bit of outside gameplay...

lol, We May As Well Argue Which Game Had Better Graphics, This Is Silly. Hl1 Is A Very Well Varied Game, Especially For Its Time, And It Still Is, But Half Life 2doesn't Depend On Rooms And Hallways Which Is What Hl1 Is Mainly Made Up Of, With The Tiny Bit Of Outside Gameplay...

Hl2 Has Better Gr@ph1($!!!1 Bettar Game!!!

Hay Guyz Am I Kewl Yet?!

Another bug in HL2:
If you get out a gun and press the left mouse button, a flash appears on the screen for a split second and if there's an enemy in front of you they die.

How odd!

The flash thing doesn't work with the crossbow, but they still died, so i guess that the bug is bugged!

Oh yeah, and with that RPG thing or whatever it is, I get a red flash and then I die. It's even more bugged.

What a mystery! But at least the Gravity Gun doesn't have this bug, unless you're holding something. Then whatever you're holding dissapears and the person in front of you goes flying through the air as if a large blunt object had just been shot at them at high speeds.

Well I fell for it for like 13 seconds, till I realized he said LEFT click not RIGHT click.

Back