HL2 lighting is too basic , dont u think?

Mendasp said:
I'm sorry, but the game HAS moving lights... and I think that's on the Source info page... and I remember an email on the valve info thread where they say that, too.

Source engine features

Yes, I read it in the valve info thread too, a long time ago. Not sure weather it would cast dynamic shadows, though. Valve only said "Yes" to the light moving.

No dynamic shadows... in the sense of moving referent to light sources. They also said that the shadows were all done according to one entity set by the mapper... but a mod could do it (is there anything a mod can't do? o_O)

I think it's the same thing with Splinter Cell and Half-Life 2. Might also be with Doom 3 and Stalker.. But whatever..

The lightning was incredible in SC and I didn't care about it. It was the game I cared about. FarCry was just a technologically a step forward.

DeusEx 2 sucks big fat hairy donkey balls. Seriously..

Stalker has absolutely fantastic graphics. But it has a great idea also.
Same thing with HL2. That's what i think.

HL2 graphics are incredible, no matter what if it doesn't have dynamic shadows. The game is the thing that matters.

It's not always the graphics that matters. It could be the sounds and/or the story. Not only the graphics.

Mendasp said:
No dynamic shadows... in the sense of moving referent to light sources. They also said that the shadows were all done according to one entity set by the mapper... but a mod could do it (is there anything a mod can't do? o_O)

According to Rick, a mod could do Doom 3 lighting :dozey:
But I doubt that because Doom 3 has per pixel lights and HL2 only per vertex afaik.

Like i said earlier (or perhaps in another thread) Who needs hard dynamic shadows when you've got HDR andReal-Time Radiosity Lighting

I'm absolutely positive that no one will give a sh*t in game, especially when they see the normal mapping on characters and enemies.

After all, everyone was blown away by that HDR video mostly used specular and diffuse maps an no normal maps at all (at least not on the Ant Lion Guard)

Sparta said:
Like i said earlier (or perhaps in another thread) Who needs hard dynamic shadows when you've got HDR andReal-Time Radiosity Lighting

I'm absolutely positive that no one will give a sh*t in game, especially when they see the normal mapping on characters and enemies.

After all, everyone was blown away by that HDR video mostly used specular and diffuse maps an no normal maps at all (at least not on the Ant Lion Guard)

Exactly - people love shiny things, and valve just throws that at them. :p

Valve have said that they are re-doing most of the models, using normal maps this time (We saw an example of this with the new G-man model in the E3 2004 video's start and the new ant lion's skin in the new screenshot) - so I think shadows will hardly make a difference, as we would be too busy drooling over the new higher res models.

wtsbebo

You making comments on hl2 based opon th e3 vid that alot of blur/low definition/screwed up gamma... :flame:

You know, you guys are all moaning about wanting VALVe to implement a system which

a) Doesn't look as good
b) Is more processor intensive
c) Is less customizable
d) Has no radiosity calculations at all, a step backwards
e) Has no smooth dynamic shadows
g) Would look ridiculous under environment lights, rather than harsh indoor lighting.

I am so glad that the people at VALVe are the game designers, and not you whining so-and-so's. Maybe there's a reason for that, hmmmm?

dynamic shadows ass rape your graphics card.

id rather have a crap load of highly detailed enemys on screen at once with standard shadows then have dynamic shadows and 3fps.

more people have crap graphics cards and low-mid end systems then elite systems, so it only makes sense.

if ppl carry on bitching about it so much, valve may implement it in a later steam upgrade.... but till then. who cares? not me.

dynamic shadows really dont add anything much to the GAMEPLAY.

Back