HL2 Model Renders and how I did them

M

MeltingIce

I wanted to share with you all how I am able to render HL2 models in a program called Cinema 4D. First, I got a program called MilkShape 3D, which is a shareware program that can read most game model files. I loaded up some various HL2 models in Milkshape 3D and then I exported them as a Lightwave .obj file. I did this because Cinema 4D seems to be able to read the .obj file very well. Well, that works great for getting models, but unfortunately the textures were not saved with it. So what I did was I opened up Hammer and I went to the window where you browse for textures. I searched for the texture corresponding to that model and I took a screenshot. I then copied the screenshot into paint and cropped it so that the resulting image was only the texture, which I saved in BMP form. Next, I loaded the BMP into Cinema 4D and applied it as a texture to its corresponding model. And ta da! It looks beautiful I think. Anyways, here are some simple renders that I did. If anyone knows an easier way to get textures, then please speak up! Thanx for checking it out!
Buggy, Airboat and 2 Human Models
Human Male and Urban CT (Updated)
Male and Urban CT w/ HDR Lighting (I know the tiles are too bumpy, but to fix that would take another 20 min of rendertime)
Close up shot of human male's shirt (Added 5/9/05 6:08PM EDT)
Buggy close up (Added 5/9/05 6:15pm EDT)
Airboat close up (Added 5/9/05 6:22pm EDT) It's a little choppy now, I'll work on smoothing it out, along with the buggy.

I prefer the other guys stuff (thread up in the HL2 section)

http://meltingice.homeunix.com/random/buggyairboat.jpg shadows in that are terrible.. I can see what you might have been trying to do, a form of the spinning light trick to fake global illumination, but you need a special type of motion blur to successfully pull that effect off and blur the shadows into a softer effect.

OnBed1_forumsize.jpg

Holy shit TDE, what thread is that from? That is crazy! Whyw oudl they make anything that detailed for a game!

<3

TheSomeone said:
You should make them in different positions.
That is much easier said than done. Since the bones were not exported with the models (I don't know why), in order to change their position I would have to manipulate polygons which would just end up stretching the figure. As soon as I learn Mocca for Cinema 4D, I will be able to give them bones and thus move them realistically.

Honestly and not said to offend, I think you should have kept this to yourself. Sorry. The renders are dull looking, and not hard to do, if one has the correct software. You diden't really need to share these with us.

But nice of you to leave some instructions if anyone feels like doing it. :)

MeltingIce said:
in order to change their position I would have to manipulate polygons which would just end up stretching the figure.

Well thats what bones do. And its not a big deal to throw in a few bones to position them, for this kind of thing, just the basic bone structure would work fine, and they'd apply weight maps automatically and in most cases set themselves up without problems (no need for anything too in depth). Though the other guy had no real problems getting the bones out. But without bones, just select a group of polygons up to a joint, rotate, select another group, rotate and so on.

Back