HL2 Multiplayer - Not CS:S

Hungry_Gamer

Reaction score
I think Valve should not make CS:S its MP. id rather play on the massive levels HL2 has with the HL2 weapons. It would be so cool to use the Manipulator to launch like the blades as seen in the e3 2004 vid at people and stuff. I seriously think they should do that.

This truly has been discussed ad nausium.

HL2 MP != CS:S

Welcome to the forums :p

Im guessing they worked harder on MP this time. IM hoping for CTF.

Half-Life 2's MP is not CS:S When you buy the game in shop,you will get Half-Life 2 singleplayer, HL2 MP, CS:S and Half-Life Source.

Spaz/Monkey said:
Half-Life 2's MP is not CS:S When you buy the game in shop,you will get Half-Life 2 singleplayer, HL2 MP, CS:S and Half-Life Source.

And you know all that for a fact?

Do you know any different?

although i am pretty sure they could not have 32 player dm with full hl2 physics, i HOPE that they at least have some sort of deathmatch.

dart321 said:
And you know all that for a fact?
i cant stand these people who are just CS fanboys who want to sound kool and correct above other people by stating HL2 wont have a multiplayer component. These people are so stupid as to thin Valve would release a game without multiplayer. omg

there is no proof either way. it would be weird if there wasn't HL2 specific MP. on the other hand valve knows that there are more fans of CS than HLDM when it comes to MP. but man i want to be able to play MP in city17 so badly. such a cool place, itd be a shame if valve only let us experience it in SP. i dont know what to think though

poseyjmac said:
there is no proof either way. it would be weird if there wasn't HL2 specific MP. on the other hand valve knows that there are more fans of CS than HLDM when it comes to MP. but man i want to be able to play MP in city17 so badly. such a cool place, itd be a shame if valve only let us experience it in SP. i dont know what to think though
it doesnt matter whether there are 100,000 HL2 DM fans or 1 or none, its going to be included.

I think the fact that CS:S was almost an after-thought to see what could be done with the engine by HL1 modders, is a pretty good indication that they had some other HL2 multiplayer up their sleeve.

Man HL2 is going to be awesome by the way. You can already tell just by the CS:S beta that they are going to own online gaming for the next couple of years. Again.

It'd be funny if the thing that owned turned out to be an entirely different Valve game than CS:S ^^

McFly said:
it doesnt matter whether there are 100,000 HL2 DM fans or 1 or none, its going to be included.

i hope so. i want to do what your avatar has happening, but in MP. man that would be freakin cool and hilarious.

poseyjmac said:
i hope so. i want to do what your avatar has happening, but in MP. man that would be freakin cool and hilarious.
That would rock

lol, i want maps of that scale, even on regular DM. That would rock. Use the crane to smash your enemy's, but watch out from behind...

Yeah that would rock. I reckon since Valve have been going on about how great the physics is (Come on, it looks great doesnt it) They'll definately implement some kind of Multiplayer mode that brings out the best of it. Like you said McFly, it would be awesome smashing your enemies with the crane

Why do we have to discuss this! There will be a dm mp for hl2. Its just one of the basic things that come with a game. It doesent take all that much time to make either. Since valve have been working so long on HL2 to make it perfect, do you realy think they'd do something so stupide NOT to include this?!

Even if they donet make it. Someone else will. Why cant we wait with this discussion until we know more.

Hungry_Gamer said:
I think Valve should not make CS:S its MP. id rather play on the massive levels HL2 has with the HL2 weapons. It would be so cool to use the Manipulator to launch like the blades as seen in the e3 2004 vid at people and stuff. I seriously think they should do that.

Don't count on the manipulator being included in MP. It would simply lag the game alot.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/08/11/news_6104577.html

"CS: Source is a remake of the classic Half-Life mod and will essentially be the multiplayer portion of Half-Life 2, since the two games will ship together."

I bolded the 'essentially' for speculative purposes...I can see this going 3 ways:

1.) Counter-Strike:Source is HL2's multiplayer component.
2.) HL2 includes a simple deathmatch, but is not considered as a fully-implemented online component(for review purposes). CS:Source is included to pick up any slack lost in the age-old deathmatch arena.
3.) WTF? I didn't expect this?!

Their you have it...The end-all speculative post. You can now sleep at night knowing I have narrowed it down to three simple outcomes. I like my cookies in a nice tin can.

Neutrino, so judging by your sig, if there is some awesome multiplayer element to HL2 that is themed around something other than HL and isn't CS:S, you're going to take that as you being right?

Like if it was TF2 or something? (for instance, for instance, for instance).

Crusader said:
Neutrino, so judging by your sig, if there is some awesome multiplayer element to HL2 that is themed around something other than HL and isn't CS:S, you're going to take that as you being right?

Like if it was TF2 or something? (for instance, for instance, for instance).

Hmm, not really. Basically, I'm saying that I think that CS:S is the main HL2 multiplayer component and it will not ship with an HL themed multiplayer at all, such as HL2DM.

But I also doubt there is going to be any other MP component shipped with it either. I think CS:S is the only MP that will ship with it.

CB | Para said:
Why don't go play the leak some more huh?

What does the leak have to do with any of this? Or are you just trying to cast random moral aspersions on me?

I don't get what your trying to say or imply.

I have no idea what to expect. But even if it comes with CS:Source alone i'll be happy. It won't be like UT2004 or Halo 2 but it'll be alot more fun then Doom 3 and Far Cry (I'm talking Multiplayer portions)

xrdanielalan said:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/08/11/news_6104577.html

"CS: Source is a remake of the classic Half-Life mod and will essentially be the multiplayer portion of Half-Life 2, since the two games will ship together."

I bolded the 'essentially' for speculative purposes...I can see this going 3 ways:

1.) Counter-Strike:Source is HL2's multiplayer component.
2.) HL2 includes a simple deathmatch, but is not considered as a fully-implemented online component(for review purposes). CS:Source is included to pick up any slack lost in the age-old deathmatch arena.
3.) WTF? I didn't expect this?!

Their you have it...The end-all speculative post. You can now sleep at night knowing I have narrowed it down to three simple outcomes. I like my cookies in a nice tin can.

I think my post sums it up rather well. It also disproves the notion that CS:S is the ONLY multiplayer component. Whatever resides next to CS:S, it must be rather weak in terms of anything new and exciting. I am guessing it is HL2 : DM. As you can see, I really want my cookies(preferably chocolate-chip).

EDIT: And don't accuse people of having the leak if you cannot prove it.

xrdanielalan said:
I think my post sums is up rather well. It also disproves the notion that CS:S is the ONLY multiplayer component. Whatever resides next to CS:S, it must be rather weak in terms of anything new and exciting. I am guessing it is HL2:DM. As you can see, I really want my cookies(preferably chocolate-chip).

Well, it doesn't completely disprove that CS:S could be the only MP component (Besides obvious things like DOD:Source). They could have used "essentially" to include the MP mod community.

That's one of the main reasons I never saw a need for them to bother making their own MP. The mods will do it for them.

Neutrino said:
Well, it doesn't completely disprove that CS:S could be the only MP component (Besides obvious things like DOD:Source). They could have used "essentially" to include the MP mod community.

That's one of the main reasons I never saw a need for them to bother making their own MP. The mods will do it for them.

Noted. To tell you the truth, I firmly believe one of the reasons for the delay was due to a lack of a quality multiplayer component. I wonder if whatever they had(HL2 : MP?), just wasn't cutting it interms of uniqueness and replayability.

xrdanielalan said:
Noted. To tell you the truth, I firmly believe one of the reasons for the delay was due to a lack of a quality multiplayer component. I wonder if whatever they had(HL2 : MP?) it just wasn't cutting it interms of uniqueness and replayability.

Quite possible. We'll just have to wait and see. Though just like everyone I hope we get some nice surprise.

This is VALVe, they just have to unleash something out of their sleeves. I mean, they obviously read the forums and have an excellent grasp on the communities expectations...As you can see, it would be suicidal to lack in the multiplayer sector. Guess we can only wait, as you have stated.

I think it's unlikely it doesn't have its own multiplayer, because CS:S was almost an afterthought to see how it turned out, so you'd have to assume that before then HL2 had no multiplayer at all. Which would be a tragedy.

Plus I really, really, really want HL2 to have its own multiplayer... :(

Even though I will probably play CS:S every day once I have tried HL2 MP out :p

Superb points Crusader.

*locks self in bunker until the reviews spill out*

One thing doesnt add up.

Valve stated in one of the various interviews that MP is just as important as SP for them. If that's the case why would they make a stellar single-player game and remake a 5 year old mod as MP?

And also when i bought Half-Life it came with TFC free with it.

LOL, that's basically the entire source of the confusion. I'm not worrying about it, nor should you. VALVe knows what they are doing(I hope).

*Dead-bolts bunker door(just in case the Zombies get loose)*

Back